keyboard macros don't work like they used to

keyboard macros don't work like they used to

Post by Pete Siems » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

I've been using Emacs for years, and love it.  Some time ago, I
noticed that keyboard macros stopped working as they used to for me.
It's been annoying, but I can usually work around it.  Today it got
annoying enough that I'm stopping to ask for help.

Say I have a set of lines, each of which has two fields, separated by
a tab.  I want to "swap" the fields, bringing the second field to the
front of each line.  I used to do this kind of thing effortlessly with
keyboard macros.  Something happened to Emacs "recently", and I now
have big problems.  It happened about the time that RETURNs became the
way to terminate incremental searches.

Anyway, I try

        ESC-<    goto beginning of the buffer
        C-x (    start defining keyboard macro
        C-SPC    set mark here
        C-s TAB  incremental search for TAB
        RET      terminate search
        C-w      kill the region (the first field and the TAB)
        C-e      go to the end of the line
        TAB      insert the new field separator
        C-y      restore yanked text
        DEL      delete that* TAB
        C-n      go to next line
        C-a      go to front of the line
        C-x )    terminate keyboard macro

This works as expected on the first line, while I'm defining the
macro, but subsequent "C-x e" commands do weird things.  It works if I
replace the "C-s TAB" with "M-x search-forward TAB RET", but then the
macros gets extremely slow.

What am I doing wrong?
--
    Pete

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

  Pete> This works as expected on the first line, while I'm defining
  Pete> the macro, but subsequent "C-x e" commands do weird things.
  Pete> It works if I replace the "C-s TAB" with "M-x search-forward
  Pete> TAB RET", but then the macros gets extremely slow.

There's a known problem that the keypress to terminate C-s when
recording a macro gets `eaten' and is not replayed when executing the
kbd macro.  Workaround is to always do C-s bla RET C-b when recording
a macro.  This behaves the same way even if you omit the RET (which is
the key that gets eaten).

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

Post by David Ba » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>  Pete> This works as expected on the first line, while I'm defining
>  Pete> the macro, but subsequent "C-x e" commands do weird things.
>  Pete> It works if I replace the "C-s TAB" with "M-x search-forward
>  Pete> TAB RET", but then the macros gets extremely slow.
>There's a known problem that the keypress to terminate C-s when
>recording a macro gets `eaten' and is not replayed when executing the
>kbd macro.  Workaround is to always do C-s bla RET C-b when recording
>a macro.  This behaves the same way even if you omit the RET (which is
>the key that gets eaten).
>kai
>--
>Life is hard and then you die.

It looks to me like Emacs 19.31 fixes this problem.  I had been
waiting for this bug fix for a long time.
--
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~davidb/

1. Quote marks don't work on Win32 international keyboard

I'm using XEmacs 21.4. In Windows I have selected the United
States-International keyboard layout. This lets you type accented characters
by hitting the single-quote, followed by a letter. Example: ' + e =

To type just a single-quote you have to type single-quote, followed by a
space: ' + [space] = '

Unfortunately that doesn't work. You can type accented characters but not
the accent by itself. This is especially annoying not being able to type
quote marks.

The 5 accent characters, which should type themselves if followed by a space
are:

single-quote  '
double-quote  "
backtick  `
tilde  ~
caret  ^

None of these can be typed in XEmacs 21.4 using the US-International
keyboard.

Nate

2. FP2K IMPORT WEB PROBLEM

3. XEmacs-NT: doskey macros don't seem to work in XEmacs shell running cmd.exe

4. CVPPC not detected

5. I-search in View minor mode: unknown keys don't work

6. don't fragment bit

7. URL buttons don't work any more in Gnus

8. Where is Win2K Pro Hardening Checklist?

9. foldout keys/mouse don't work with c-outline mode

10. XEmacs using SPARCworks -- don't want to use dbx.

11. SKK and VM don't work together?

12. Win32 executables don't work?

13. Some FAQ answers don't work