lost with diff problem

Post by Helene Pin » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:52:27

Dear All,

I have an apparently common problem with 'diff', that is the program
cannot be found. I know that there are a lot of posts about this
subject in the archives, I have read them all but unfortunately, I
have not been clever enough to find out what I should do to fix it on
my computer...

I would be really grateful if one of you could take time to explain me
what I should do.
Here are what I have been able to gather about that problem:
I have XEmacs version 21.4.5 on PC Windows 2000, I have downloaded as
well the package ediff-1.46 but I haven't been able to find any
diff.exe nor ediff.exe within it. Is that correct?
When I try to use diff or ediff within XEmacs, I end up with the
message: "No such file or directory, diff".
The variables ediff-diff-program and ediff-diff3-program are
respectively set to diff and diff3.
My path variable contains the folders C:\[...]\xemacs-packages\etc and
C:\[...]\xemacs-packages\lisp which contain both an ediff folder.

I would really like to use the diff tool with XEmacs because it looks
very powerful but I really need your help!

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Hlne.

lost with diff problem

Post by David Kastru » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:05:37

> I would really like to use the diff tool with XEmacs because it
> looks very powerful but I really need your help!

Download and install MSYS <URL:http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml>, this
includes a diff executable and a lot of other utilities that XEmacs
can make good use of.

lost with diff problem

Post by Stephen J. Turnbul » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:38:21

    David> Download and install MSYS
    David> <URL:http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml>, this includes a diff
    David> executable and a lot of other utilities that XEmacs can
    David> make good use of.

Thanks for the URL, David.  That one and Cygwin will be in PROBLEMS
and the FAQ in CVS shortly, and the online FAQ at
http://www.xemacs.org/faq/ should be updated sometime soon thereafter.

--
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences     http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
University of Tsukuba                    Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN

lost with diff problem

Post by Helene Pin » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:39:39

Dear David

I downloaded the package you suggested and did all the settings, I can
now use this diff program. Just have to learn all the features.

Thanks for your help.

Hlne.

> > I would really like to use the diff tool with XEmacs because it
> > looks very powerful but I really need your help!

> Download and install MSYS <URL:http://www.mingw.org/msys.shtml>, this
> includes a diff executable and a lot of other utilities that XEmacs
> can make good use of.

1. How set diff. default fonts for diff. modes

Hi All,
Is it possible to have different default fonts for
different edit-modes ??
For example, I'd like to set the 'adobe-courier-...' default font
for text-mode and 'b&h-lucida sans typewriter-...' for c++-mode.

Thanks in advance.
--
+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

|St.Petersburg, Russia  | URL: http://www.reksoft.ru  |
|REKSoft Ltd.           |                               |
+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

2. DataSet move next

3. GNUS problems after losing PPP connection

4. Network A500 w/CDROM and A1200 HELP!

5. Problem with ediff: can't find diff

6. Problems 2.0 -> 2.5 encountered (Size of controls, DBServer:Seek() fails)

7. diff problem

8. Memorex CDRW 2216

9. Problem with Diff command in dired

10. Emacs 21: Saving in Enriched Mode - problem with pasted text from diff

11. ediff fine diff problem

12. Problem with diffs from 18.35 to 18.36.

13. goto losing marker