Transformational grammar in computer language?

Post by Paul Kinnuca » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

>> Thank you very much for all this, but unfortunately I am not a Perl
>> programmer. :-(  However, I am quite familiar with LISP, especially
>> Emacs-Lisp.  Is it any harder to do this in Emacs-Lisp?  Don't worry
>> if Emacs-Lisp doesn't have as much built-in support for regular
>> expressions as Perl does; we can write functions that deal with
>> regular expressions.  What I would definitely want as one of the
>> things available in the regular expressions is access to a predicate
>> (such as vowel-p or consonant-p).

>I know a little Perl, but I don't know all the intricacies of Perl
>regexes.  Hm.  But I don't think that Perl regular expressions are
>more powerful than a context-free grammar, and thanks to the Semantic
>Bovinator (announced on gnu.emacs.sources some weeks ago) you have a
>parser generator in Emacs Lisp.  Is this sufficient?  (I think the
>Semantic Bovinator has expressiveness comparable with yacc, but I'm
>not quote sure, since I haven't tried it.)

Yes, the bovinator is comparable with yacc. I wrote a Java grammar for the
bovinator and am using it to generate the indexes required by imenu and
speedbar. The result is a substantial improvement in speed and completeness
over the regular expressions provided by java-mode. The grammar and imenu
and speedbar support  will be available in the next release of the Java
Development Environment for Emacs (http:sunsite.auc/jde/).

- Paul

1. Ardent computer (titan computer) emacs

I'm trying to install gnuemacs on an Ardent Titan running Sys V Unix.  There
are no s- and m- files specifically for this machine - does anyone know which
files are usable for this machine/OS?  I'm asking in order to save myself some
hacking....

Any replies, please post as well as mail to me, if you would be so kind.
Thanks.

Krishna Sethuraman

2. GNATBox, Cable Modem, Routing/NAT...

3. auto-language-alist specifies a language environment that doesn't exist

4. does any one get charged for the amount they download

5. dtx and ins in xemacs

6. LaserROM print document help !!!!!!

7. Adding C-code plug-ins to Emacs?

8. Differences between normal view and preview...

9. EMACS/AUCTEX and dtx/ins file types

10. Adding C-code plug-ins to Emacs?

11. Is there grammar checker (not spelling)?

12. Mode for ANTLR-grammars?

13. pccts grammar mode