binding meta key to another key?

Post by Oguz » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am using NTEmacs. One thing emacs programmers must take care of is this
META key. I don't think binding it to Esc as default is a good idea. In my
emacs it is bind to Esc key. I needed to divide emacs window into two and
edit a file according to another. While editing one Meta-C-v shifts the
other window down. Cool. But Using Esc-Ctrl causes two problems:
1- ctrl-esc is the shortcut for the Start button in windows. Lots of time I
did that.
2- sometimes I hit ctrl-esc-v and the window I edit on shifts up..

And the worst problem with esc key is: You can't hit it and stay your finger
there. So if you want to move the curser one word forward a couple of times,
you need to do esc-f, esc-f, esc-f....so on. You can't do esc-f-f-f. But you
can do ctrl-f-f-f-f-f...

How you experienced users do it?
Do you bind Meta to another key? Which one? How?
Thanks.
Oguz.

binding meta key to another key?

Post by Oguz » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Sorry. I wasn't using NTemacs. I was telnetting to a linux machine and
editing files in a terminal window.

Quote:> I am using NTEmacs. One thing emacs programmers must take care of is this

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Sorry. I wasn't using NTemacs. I was telnetting to a linux machine
> and editing files in a terminal window.

In this case, you can tell your telnet program to convert M-x into ESC
x for the application running in the telnet program.

I don't do windows, so I don't know about the telnet applications
available there, so I can't help you with actually doing that.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

Post by samuel padget » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I don't do windows, so I don't know about the telnet applications
> available there, so I can't help you with actually doing that.

tera term does this well.  using the alt key for meta is a
choice from the options -> keyboard menu.

  http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

sam