paren-mode highlighting both matching parenthesis?

paren-mode highlighting both matching parenthesis?

Post by Andreas Aman » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

is there a way to highlight _both_ matching parenthesis
(not the sexp) under XEmacs 21.0?

This is the behavior
of GNU-Emacs 20.x, but its paren.el unfortunately won't
run on XEmacs.

Alternatives?

Thanks, Andreas

Post by Andreas Aman » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > is there a way to highlight _both_ matching parenthesis
> > (not the sexp) under XEmacs 21.0?

> > This is the behavior
> > of GNU-Emacs 20.x, but its paren.el unfortunately won't
> > run on XEmacs.

> > Alternatives?
> The file paren.el is available in XEmacs 21.x. On my computer it is found in
> lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/edit-utils.
> This is how to turn it on in .emacs:
> (require 'paren)
> (paren-set-mode 'paren)

This is not the answer to my question, I was aware of paren.el!

To clarify my question: when I type "(foo)"
in Xemacs and the cursor is at the right of ")",
only the "(" is highlighted. In GNU-Emacs _both_, the "("
and the ")" are highlighted. I prefer the GNU behavior and asked
whether this is available under XEmacs.

Andreas

Post by Adrian Aichne » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    >> > is there a way to highlight _both_ matching parenthesis
    >> > (not the sexp) under XEmacs 21.0?
    >> >
    >> > This is the behavior
    >> > of GNU-Emacs 20.x, but its paren.el unfortunately won't
    >> > run on XEmacs.
    >> >
    >> > Alternatives?
    >> The file paren.el is available in XEmacs 21.x. On my computer it is found in
    >> lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/edit-utils.
    >> This is how to turn it on in .emacs:
    >> (require 'paren)
    >> (paren-set-mode 'paren)

    Andreas> This is not the answer to my question, I was aware of paren.el!

    Andreas> To clarify my question: when I type "(foo)"
    Andreas> in Xemacs and the cursor is at the right of ")",
    Andreas> only the "(" is highlighted. In GNU-Emacs _both_, the "("
    Andreas> and the ")" are highlighted. I prefer the GNU behavior and asked
    Andreas> whether this is available under XEmacs.

(customize-variable 'paren-mode)
gives you the answer.

Adrian

    Andreas> Andreas

--
                            Adrian Aichner
                        European Design Center

Post by Andreas Aman » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> (customize-variable 'paren-mode)
> gives you the answer.
> Adrian

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are referring to.

If I set paren-mode to paren, only one parenthesis gets
highlighted in XEmacs, but I want the two of them, as in
GNU-Emacs.

Andreas

Post by Anders Lindgre » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > (customize-variable 'paren-mode)
> > gives you the answer.

> > Adrian

> Sorry, but I don't understand what you are referring to.

> If I set paren-mode to paren, only one parenthesis gets
> highlighted in XEmacs, but I want the two of them, as in
> GNU-Emacs.

I'm sorry if I missed the beginning of this discussion so I'm might be
way of the target here.

There exists a package called mic-paren that runs under both Emacs and
XEmacs that highlights both forward and backward, if the cursor
happend to be placed like like the "." in the following line:

    (   ).(   )

I think that you can get mic-paren from:
    http://www.docs.uu.se/~mic/emacs.html

        -- Anders
--
;; .signature -- File added to the end of mail, containing joke or info.
(defvar me '((profession . "Compiler Designer") (company . "IAR Systems")

Post by Andreas Aman » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I'm sorry if I missed the beginning of this discussion so I'm might be
> way of the target here.
> There exists a package called mic-paren that runs under both Emacs and
> XEmacs that highlights both forward and backward, if the cursor
> happend to be placed like like the "." in the following line:
>     (   ).(   )
> I think that you can get mic-paren from:
>     http://www.docs.uu.se/~mic/emacs.html

Thanks, that solves the problem!

Andreas

1. matching parenthesis highlighting

Hello, All!
Does anybody knows is it possible to do the following thing in Emacs:
I would like to highlight nested pairs of matching parenthesis using
different colors. For example, I would like the outermost pair to be
black, pair on the second nesting level to be red, one on the third
level to be green, etc. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry Barashev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. LT WinModem question

3. How do I highlight matching parentheses?

4. can Visual Test access COM custom interfaces?

5. highlight matching parenthesis etc.

6. FS: Dos card for PPC 6100's

7. blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments ignored in fortran mode?

8. hashtables

9. c-mode blink-paren matching

10. vip-paren-match fails in c-mode

11. bug in paren-match in C++ mode