locales and the pound sign in emacs

Post by Vivek Dasmohapatr » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:41:11

I've been trying to get Japanese input set up on my machine, and
I'm most of the way there, I think - I have canna and kinput2 set up,
I can activate Xfree's japanese input method with s-space : One
minor quibble, if the environment variables are set so that various
X apps know to talk to kinput2 when I host s-space, I can't use the
pound sign [ that's the curly L, not the hash sign ] in emacs - some
apps seem happy to let me use it [ mozilla, for one ], xev still
reports shift-3 as "sterling", but emacs ignores it.

I know I can work around this by having emacs set env variables in
.emacs and than mapping s-space to a function which mimics kinput
by activating emacs' native japanese input method - but is there
a better integrated way of saying use kinput2, but fall back to
en_GB rather than C?

My env variables are set to:

export LINGUAS=en
export LC_TIME=en_GB
export LC_MONETARY=en_GB
export LC_NUMERIC=en_GB
export LC_MESSAGES=en_GB
export LC_COLLATE=ja_JP
export LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR
export LANG=ja_JP
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP

I've tried setting LANGUAGE, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any pointers?