.emacs/_emacs from both NT and UNIX

Post by Eli Zaretski » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

> I would like to modify my .emacs/_emacs file so that I can load it
> under both WIndows and UNIX with similar results.
> Can anyone suggest a technique for determining whether I'm using
> Windows or UNIX from lisp?

The variable window-system has the value 'x if you run on X Windows, and a
value of 'w32 when it runs on MS-Windows.  The variable system-type has the
value 'windows-nt when Emacs runs on MS-Windows (even if that is Windows
9X).  I think this should be enough for you to differentiate between the two
systems, even if you take the -nw possibility into consideration.

Post by Bruce Ingall » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> > I would like to modify my .emacs/_emacs file so that I can load it
> > under both WIndows and UNIX with similar results.

EMacro does this, and comes with full source. Take a look at
its .emacs, or "home.el" in the latest beta.

--
EMacro makes Emacs ftp://ftp.cppsig.org/pub/tools/emacs/

1. _emacs file not loaded in NT-Emacs

Hello,

I use NT-Emacs under Win98 and I can't get the _emacs file running. Oh
yes, I have read the FAQ, HOME is set to the correct path
(d:\win_unix\emacs), and it doesn't matter if I use _emacs or .emacs,
it doesn't work with either of them.
I have edited the following lines in _emacs:

(setq-default transient-mark-mode t)
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

The version is 20.5.1. I haven't had a .emacs file nor a _emacs file
before, so I had to create them on my own (I don't know if this is
normal or strange). Also, there are no other (.|_)emacs files on my
computer.

When I start Emacs it just begins, as it used to before, in Lisp
Interaction Mode.

No error message what so ever appears while starting emacs.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Johannes

2. Longname Wanted?

3. _emacs not read on NT

4. FP 98 Upgrade Problems...

5. Create unix format text file from NT emacs.

6. childproofing

7. nt emacs and unix

8. full LPD for minix?

9. NT Emacs - force files to end with UNIX style LF?

10. Implement Emacs-Modes from Unix->NT

11. .emacs/_emacs doesnt load in the Win32 port of GNU emacs - 20.7

12. Windows NT to UNIX

13. Shell diff between UNIX and NT on quoting (\")