eshell and desktop.el conflict

Post by Alexander Vorobi » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:19:16

Hi,
About a month ago I posted a message about puzzling behaviour of eshell in
xemacs-2.4.5 nomule:

Quote:> It looks like eshell doesn't even try to run any external command
> because even if I type in garbage it just goes to the next line and
> displays fresh prompt. No error messages.
> I tried recompiling the same 2.4.5 but with mule support turned on and
> in that case eshell works fine on the same machine with same
> .emacs/options/etc.

Now I found out who is responsible for such a behavior - desktop.el
which is in standard edit-utils package. I have the following code in my init file:

(load "desktop")
(desktop-load-default)
(desktop-read)
(add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (desktop-truncate search-ring 3)
             (desktop-truncate regexp-search-ring 3)))

So eshell breaks exactly when xemacs executes (desktop-read). Could somebody
with eshell internals knowledge help to resolve the conflict please?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

1. desktop.el and auto saving desktop

Hi.

I use desktop.el and am quite happy with it, apart from one thing. I use
KDE, which has an auto-restore desktop - when you log in, it tries to
start all the applications you had running previously, in the same
position.

It starts emacs in the correct position, BUT emacs has not saved the last
"desktop". If I close emacs with C-x C-c then the desktop is stored and
used for all subsequent auto-starts by KDE until I explicitly shutdown
emacs or issue a desktop-save.

I really want to get emacs to issue a desktop-save when KDE shuts it down.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to do this?

Cheers,
Alistair

--
Alistair McDonald,    InRevo Ltd    http://www.inrevo.com
Software development in C++ and Perl for unix and Windows

2. Palm V RAM upgrade?

3. desktop-save and AUCtex conflict?

4. FAT In C Question

5. Patch to backquote.el -- list* conflict with cl.el

6. Can't View Certain Web Pages on Networked Computer

7. eshell: eshell-command-result and environment

8. Cannot Resolve this problem! Need some input!

9. Eshell-buffer-shorthand and Eshell completions

10. Problems with desktop-save desktop-load

11. overlay.el conflict

12. desktop.el broken after upgrade (ms-windows)

13. saving window configuration in desktop.el