Running full screen program like vi from xemacs shell window

Running full screen program like vi from xemacs shell window

Post by Raju/Bharath » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 13:57:02

Hi,

How do i run full screen programs like vi, more etc from emacs shell
window (basically I use for rlogin to other hosts)? When I run vi from
shell window, I just get the line 'Standard Input' and I have to quit
with :q?

Full screen programs do not understand 'emacs' term.

Thanks

Raju

  raju-krishnan.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Barry Wilke » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> How do i run full screen programs like vi, more etc from emacs shell
> window (basically I use for rlogin to other hosts)? When I run vi from
> shell window, I just get the line 'Standard Input' and I have to quit
> with :q?

M-x term <RET> runs a terminal emulator within Emacs. This will do what
you want. However, if all you want to do is edit files on a machine
you have rlogin'd to, you know you can open files in an emacs window
on a remote machine using ange-ftp?

For example, if I want to edit the file test.txt in my home directory

Note that the first time you do this, you will be prompted for your
password. Subsequent accesses in the same session will not require
this (modulo ftp timeout). As the last comment suggests, ange-ftp
relies on ftp, so the remote machine must be running an ftp
demon.

HTH,

Barry.

Post by Robert Plui » Sat, 23 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> How do i run full screen programs like vi, more etc from emacs shell
> window (basically I use for rlogin to other hosts)? When I run vi from
> shell window, I just get the line 'Standard Input' and I have to quit
> with :q?

> Full screen programs do not understand 'emacs' term.

M-x term

--
The above are my opinions,
 and my opinions only.

1. full screen with xemacs

Hallo,

i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when loading
the xemacs window is larger than the screen. after the fonts have been installed
the right border is way out of the screen. I make the xemacs fullscreen, save
the session, however, next time the window is still to large.

Does anyone have a suggestion to make the xemacs window fullscreen without
adjustment?

Since I am working only for the last 2 month with linux and X, it would already
been sufficient to point me to an appropriate FAQ.

bernhard

2. Q.: ANN & Ecological Interactions?

3. full screen Xemacs

4. Visual Studio 6.0/.NET on same system?

5. Problem running interactive programs in shell mode

6. Postgresql + Win* + Dotnet + MAdProgrammer...argggggh

7. Unable to run shell-type programs?

8. Wanted: disk controller for IBM 5.25/3.5 drives

9. Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

10. Trouble running shell programs within emacs..

11. Can I run a graphics program in an Emacs shell?

12. "Suspending a program running in an X window is silly"

13. Default full screen