Trouble running shell programs within emacs..

Trouble running shell programs within emacs..

Post by Marius Kjeldah » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have encountered a problem related to running shell programs within
emacs (e.g. when compiling a program or running a shell command). These
programs are not able to return anything to emacs (output) when I run
them as a "normal" user. However, if I run them as root, everything
works fine and dandy.

The first time I noticed this was after installing linux 2.0.0 on my
machine. I am pretty sure it is related to my setup, but I do not know
where to look. When I compile within emacs with "gcc test.c" it fails
within emacs, but works outside of emacs (directly from a shell). If I
do the same as root within emacs, it works.

I have tested this with xemacs 19.14 and emacs 19.31. It is exactly the
same behaviour.

Does anyone know what is wrong with my setup, or how I can find out why
emacs is unable to run these processes and receive the output from
them??

Thanks in advance..

Marius

1. Shell trouble - third post (was Shell trouble - second post, please read)

Surely someone somewhere has had this problem.  I am
on a HP-UX 10.20 PA2.0.  I have tried switching my
stty settings to just about everything possible and
I always have the same problem.  I have not gotten a
single email on this.  Please just email me and tell
me to shut up!  Please read on :

When I enter shell mode (I'm using ksh) if I start a
program that has lots of output, I can't break it
or move my cursor around until the program ends.  Its
almost like xemacs is waiting for the shell to take a
breath before it will interrupt it.

ie. If I pull a Homer and do "tar x" instead of a "tar t",
I can press ^C^C and the screen freezes and I won't see anything
until the find command finishes.  But, when the screen finally
refreshes, the find command was allowed to run to completion.
Depending on the tarball, this could be a very bad thing!
Then the ^C^C goes thru and I see a two command lines.
That's just a little too late! This is happens with the latest
release xemacs (21.1) and all betas I've used.  This never happened
on 20.4.

Or: If I do a "tar t" and I want to start scrolling thru the
output before the command finishes; as soon as I press a key
the output freezes until the find finishes.  And (say I pressed
page up) the page up takes place from the bottom of the output
and not where I actually pressed the key.

This problem isn't there in telnet or rsh.  It is there in
rlogin and shell.

If this is a FAQ or documented somewhere, just let me know.
Otherwise HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx in advance,

================================
Rodney Stromlund
Southwest Airlines Co.
Systems Department
Sales & Revenue Accounting Group

(214) 792-6484
================================

2. Active Directory Migration Tool

3. pwd problem in shell run within emacs

4. Winter 1992 NeXTWORLD??

5. How to run the bash shell within Emacs

6. Graphics, can you load in a specific order?

7. Running several shells within emacs

8. Converting between .mailrc and MH aliases

9. running shell within emacs

10. Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

11. Can I run a graphics program in an Emacs shell?

12. running a perl/shell script from within xemacs

13. Problem running interactive programs in shell mode