Using gnuclient

Post by Harry Henry Geb » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

I use gnuclient as the editor for my mail program (mutt), I have put
auto-fill-mode and flyspell-mode into visit-hook so these are automatically
set when I edit an email. Unfortunately this means they are turned on any
time I use gnuclient, and I would like to use it for alot of other files.

Is there any way I can specify modes on the cammand line? I tried

gnuclient -f auto-fill-mode -f flyspell-mode

But it caused the modes to be set in '*scratch*' rather than in the
gnuclient owned buffer. Can anyone help me with this?

I am using XEmacs 21.1 on Mandrake 7.0.

On a side note, I know several email systems are included in XEmacs, do any
of these support threading and GPG, if they do I would like to switch to
them, that would be one less reason to leave XEmacs.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS
West Dover Hundred, Delaware

Using gnuclient

Post by Dan McGuir » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I use gnuclient as the editor for my mail program (mutt), I have put
> auto-fill-mode and flyspell-mode into visit-hook so these are automatically
> set when I edit an email. Unfortunately this means they are turned on any
> time I use gnuclient, and I would like to use it for alot of other files.

> Is there any way I can specify modes on the cammand line? I tried

> gnuclient -f auto-fill-mode -f flyspell-mode

> But it caused the modes to be set in '*scratch*' rather than in the
> gnuclient owned buffer. Can anyone help me with this?

You could rig it up kind of like this:

(setq my-editing-mail-flag nil)
(defun my-gnuserv-mail-modes ()
  (cond (my-editing-mail-flag
         (auto-fill-mode 1)
         (flyspell-mode 1))))
(add-hook 'gnuserv-visit-hook 'my-gnuserv-mail-modes)
(add-hook 'gnuserv-done-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (setq my-editing-mail-flag nil)))

Then set your editor in your mail reader to:

        gnuclient -eval "(setq my-editing-mail-flag t)"

Not pretty, but it should work.  If there's some other way you can
tell whether you're editing mail (the temp files always have certain
names, etc.), you could try exploiting that.

Quote:> On a side note, I know several email systems are included in XEmacs, do any
> of these support threading and GPG, if they do I would like to switch to
> them, that would be one less reason to leave XEmacs.

Gnus supports threads, and I think GPG too (there's a package called
Mailcrypt, but I haven't tried it).

--

De omnibus dubitandum est.

Using gnuclient

Post by Dan McGuir » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

> You could rig it up kind of like this:

> (setq my-editing-mail-flag nil)
> (defun my-gnuserv-mail-modes ()
>   (cond (my-editing-mail-flag
>     (auto-fill-mode 1)
>     (flyspell-mode 1))))
> (add-hook 'gnuserv-visit-hook 'my-gnuserv-mail-modes)
> (add-hook 'gnuserv-done-hook
>      '(lambda ()
>         (setq my-editing-mail-flag nil)))

Hmm, actually that won't work right if you're running multiple
gnuclients at the same time.  But you could try turning off the flag
from the visit-hook:

(defun my-gnuserv-mail-modes ()
  (cond (my-editing-mail-flag
         (auto-fill-mode 1)
         (flyspell-mode 1)))
  (setq my-editing-mail-flag nil))

I think that's more or less safe since emacs isn't multi-threaded.

--

Hey Malkovich!  Think fast!

Using gnuclient

Post by Bruce Ingall » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

I am posting the latest beta of Emacro with some gnuclient
smarts.
I wrote a simple unix bourne shell script that is a replacement
for the xemacs link. You just edit it to call the real xemacs
pointed by the link.
If it fails to start gnuclient, it starts a full xemacs server.

EMacro, as a .emacs, checks at startup if gnuserv is running,
and if not, starts it.

Now I can set my $EDITOR to xemacs, and forget about it.

Q:
Is there any equivalent to gnuserv for gnu emacs?

If anyone has a good idea for an install script, that
does a "which", "whence" or "whereis" then finds the file
that xemacs links to, then edits the line my script calls,
and finally overwrites the link with my script, I & the
community will thank you.
--
EMacro makes Emacs ftp://ftp.cppsig.org/pub/tools/emacs/

1. xemacs crashes using gnuclient in tty mode

This bug report will be sent to the XEmacs Development Team,
 not to your local site managers!!
Please write in English, because the XEmacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

In XEmacs 21.1 (patch 14) "Cuyahoga Valley" [Lucid] (i386--freebsd) of Tue Feb  6 2001 on yertle.kciLink.com
configured using `configure --with-clash-detection --lockdir=/var/run/emacs/lock --with-sound=native --with-session=yes --site-includes=/usr/local/include --site-libraries=/usr/local/lib --gung-ho=yes --with-png=yes --with-tiff=yes --with-site-lisp --with-database=berkdb --prefix=/usr/local i386--freebsd'

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I remote log into my server via an SSH client.  In one window, I start
xemacs and leave it running.  In another, I run "gnuclient foo" to
edit a file.  This works fine.  However, in the slave window, if I
find another file, copy some text, then kill that buffer, xemacs
crashes entirely.  I cannot create an exactly repeatable case, but it
happens quite often.  In xemacs 21.1.13 I never had such a crash.

Recent keystrokes:

C-c r ESC x e m a c s - b u TAB BS BS BS BS BS BS BS
BS r e p TAB o TAB r TAB RET

Recent messages (most recent first):

Making completion list...
Making completion list...
audio: /dev/dsp, No such file or directory
136 messages, 0 new, 0 unread, 0 deleted
Checking for new mail for /home/khera/.Mail/INBOX...
136 messages, 0 new, 0 unread, 0 deleted

2. Pocket PC hasn't updated since 11/27

3. Problem when using gnuclient as a viewer.

4. IBM-PC emulator for the Atari 1040ST

5. Using gnuclient with ClearCase

6. Pocket PC 2002 and PPT 2800

7. using gnuclient under NT XEmacs

8. OS/2 DB/2 WR9073 Fix

9. Using gnuserv and gnuclient for remote access

10. Using different colours for code and comments (using C-mode)

11. XEmacs/gnuclient all in one script opinions? And a gnuclient question

12. gnuclient from shell buffer

13. gnuclient binary?