can't seem to turn off the automatic backups!

can't seem to turn off the automatic backups!

Post by Brett William » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:41:22

I have the following set:

(setq version-control nil)
(setq delete-old-versions t)
(setq trim-versions-without-asking t)
(setq kept-old-versions 0)
(setq kept-new-versions 0)
(setq backup-inhibited t)

Yet I still keep ending up with backup files (named with their CVS
revisions).  I've had these same settings for years and never had a problem.

This didn't start happening until I started using viper-mode (or maybe it
was the switch to emacs 21 which happened a while before), but I can't see
anything in viper that should have affected this.

Anyone have a clue what might be happening?

--
The key of strategy... is not to choose a path that leads to victory, but
to choose so that all paths lead to a victory.

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:11:35

> Yet I still keep ending up with backup files (named with their CVS
> revisions).  I've had these same settings for years and never had a problem.

See the variable vc-make-backup-files.  Does that help?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

Post by Brett William » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:09:18

> > Yet I still keep ending up with backup files (named with their CVS
> > revisions).  I've had these same settings for years and never had a
problem.

> See the variable vc-make-backup-files.  Does that help?

Doesn't seem to make any difference whether it is set or not.  I'm going to
try and scan the *Messages* buffer and see if it gives an indication as to
when it is doing a backup... it must be some combination of my vc settings,
viper-mode, and CVS minor mode...

1. Turn off automatic indentation for Perl?

I work in Perl using emacs, but I don't want automatic indentation. I
noticed queries on deja.com about how to accomplish the opposite! In
any case, I have tried every darned thing in the .emacs file but to no
avail. What's interesting is that emacs detects the
#!/usr/local/bin/perl statement in my file, no matter what the suffix
is. So calling the script program_name.xxx, etc. makes no difference.

Marxist discussion is at: www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html

2. Error Triforma J Windows 95, 07.00.00.08 TF ANALYSE

3. How to Turn Off C Source Curly Brace Automatic Spacing

4. Recommendation for a new "Paste" feature on ALL Mac Software

5. how do i turn off automatic region activation?

6. Fixed-length records on VAX using C?

7. How to turn off automatic character exchange

8. Need Help with SYS 3175 Error

9. Turning off automatic HTML rendering under VM

10. hello how do i turn off automatic region activation?

11. turning off backups with revision control minor mode

12. Turning off ~ backups in certain directories

13. How can I turn off creation of auto-backup?