full screen with xemacs

Post by Bernhard Klein » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:29:30

Hallo,

i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when loading
the xemacs window is larger than the screen. after the fonts have been installed
the right border is way out of the screen. I make the xemacs fullscreen, save
the session, however, next time the window is still to large.

Does anyone have a suggestion to make the xemacs window fullscreen without
adjustment?

Since I am working only for the last 2 month with linux and X, it would already
been sufficient to point me to an appropriate FAQ.

bernhard

full screen with xemacs

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:58:06

> Hallo,
> i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when loading
> the xemacs window is larger than the screen. after the fonts have been installed
> the right border is way out of the screen. I make the xemacs fullscreen, save
> the session, however, next time the window is still to large.
> Does anyone have a suggestion to make the xemacs window fullscreen without
> adjustment?
> Since I am working only for the last 2 month with linux and X, it would already
> been sufficient to point me to an appropriate FAQ.
> bernhard

You want

    (setq initial-frame-plist '(height 60 width 90))
    (setq default-frame-plist '(height 60 width 90))

or similar. I think emacs lisp has no concept of `as many lines as
possible', so you have to handcraft the figures to get "full screen",
and even then it may not be pixel-perfect.

--
No animal was harmed in the composition of this message.

full screen with xemacs

Post by Glyn Millingto » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:32:29

> i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when
> have been installed the right border is way out of the screen. I make
> the xemacs fullscreen, save the session, however, next time the window
> is still to large.
> Does anyone have a suggestion to make the xemacs window fullscreen
> without adjustment?

I suspect you need a smaller font?  What font are you using at the
moment?

Glyn

full screen with xemacs

Post by Glyn Millingto » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:40:33

> Hallo,

> i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when
> have been installed the right border is way out of the screen. I make
> the xemacs fullscreen, save the session, however, next time the window
> is still to large.

Sorry - not thinking.  For the firsr frame, it might help to have
something in your ~/.Xdefaults file like this

Emacs*EmacsFrame.geometry: 70x35+142+1

That sets the geometry of the initial frame.

For new frames, well do
C-h a   default-frame-plist   and read what it says!

hth

Glyn

full screen with xemacs

Post by Bernhard Klein » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:12:28

Glyn Millington schrieb:

>>Hallo,

>>i have installed xemacs under gdm -- sawfish under debian woody. when
>>have been installed the right border is way out of the screen. I make
>>the xemacs fullscreen, save the session, however, next time the window
>>is still to large.

> Sorry - not thinking.  For the firsr frame, it might help to have
> something in your ~/.Xdefaults file like this

> Emacs*EmacsFrame.geometry: 70x35+142+1

> That sets the geometry of the initial frame.

> For new frames, well do
> C-h a   default-frame-plist   and read what it says!

> hth

> Glyn

If this can be set, where do I find the values which fit the desired frame, that
is the one which I am working in and which is full screen for the given font btw
  which is Helvetica 14 pt (for an almost blind fellow, you could say)?

Merci

Bernhard

full screen with xemacs

Post by Glyn Millingto » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 02:15:01

> If this can be set, where do I find the values which fit the desired
> frame, that is the one which I am working in and which is full screen
> for the given font btw which is Helvetica 14 pt (for an almost blind
> fellow, you could say)?

Wow - just shifted mine to Helvetica 14 - its big, isn't   it  and now _my_
frame  is too big!!

I think you'll onl y find this by trial and error -

For the opening frame put this in .init.el
 (setq initial-frame-plist '(top 1 left 1 width 80 height 20))

for subsequent frames, this is the line you want ,

(setq default-frame-plist '(width 80 height 20))

I haven't tried these yet, but they should reduce the depth of of your
frame considrably.  If that
s excessive or not enough - fiddle around!

hth

Glyn

1. Running full screen program like vi from xemacs shell window

Hi,

How do i run full screen programs like vi, more etc from emacs shell
window (basically I use for rlogin to other hosts)? When I run vi from
shell window, I just get the line 'Standard Input' and I have to quit
with :q?

Full screen programs do not understand 'emacs' term.

Thanks

Raju

  raju-krishnan.vcf
< 1K Download

2. PDApoint Web site

3. full screen Xemacs

4. Epox (Aralion) ATA100 RAID card problems, problems, problems

5. Default full screen

6. What are the security issues w/r/t Napster

7. Full Screen Emacs

8. Sony CLIE PEG-S300 review :

9. Full screen emacs

10. why doesn't Emacs cover the full screen?

11. Default full screen

12. SOURCES FOR UNIX FULL SCREEN EDITORS