Background/Foreground color in emacs-21.2.2

Background/Foreground color in emacs-21.2.2

Post by Bija » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:12:28

I am using emacs-21.2.2 under Slackware 9.0 Linux. Although it is called
emacs (by Slackware), it looks like xemacs. Anyway, I am using syntacs
coloring for programming which causes the comments and some of the other
keywords to be almost invisible agaist the default gray background of emacs.
I have tried to change the background colore (like in the old days using a
.emacs file) to no avail. There was a post from Chris asking about changing
the color of the cursor with the lisp code he used to change it. His code
is:
(setq default-frame-alist
   '(
         (cursor-color     . "greenyellow")
         (cursor-type      . box)
     )
)
which worked fine. So I added a line under the cursor to change the
background color: (background-color    ."red") and restarted the emacs. The
color was red for a fraction of a second before it changed back to the old
gray. Where is this color set? By the way I have also tried to change the
color from the menu:    Edit --> Text Properties --> Background Color -->
and set it but the actual color of the background does not change.

I appreciate any help fixing this problem.

Thanks,
Bijan.

Background/Foreground color in emacs-21.2.2

Post by BAM » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:54:17

scribbled:

Quote:> I am using emacs-21.2.2 under Slackware 9.0 Linux. Although it is called
> emacs (by Slackware), it looks like xemacs. Anyway, I am using syntacs

Slackware's e package set installs GNU Emacs. There used to be an
xemacs package in extra/, but I think it's gone as of 8.1.

Quote:> coloring for programming which causes the comments and some of the other
> keywords to be almost invisible agaist the default gray background of emacs.
> I have tried to change the background colore (like in the old days using a
> .emacs file) to no avail. There was a post from Chris asking about changing

Try setq-default:
(setq-default default-frame-alist
              '(
                (cursor-color     . "greenyellow")
                (cursor-type      . box)
                (background-color    ."red")
                )
              )

Works for me under slackware-current (which has 21.3).

--
I describe false symptoms to my doctor to keep him on his toes.

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:31:59

> I am using emacs-21.2.2 under Slackware 9.0 Linux. Although it is called
> emacs (by Slackware), it looks like xemacs. Anyway, I am using syntacs
> coloring for programming which causes the comments and some of the other
> keywords to be almost invisible agaist the default gray background of emacs.

M-x customize-face RET default RET allows you to change the default
gray background.

M-x customize-face RET RET allows you to change the other colors,
too, so you could change the corresponding font-lock colors instead
of changing the default background.
--
~/.signature

Post by Ulrich Herbs » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 03:13:45

> I am using emacs-21.2.2 under Slackware 9.0 Linux. Although it is called
> emacs (by Slackware), it looks like xemacs. Anyway, I am using syntacs
> coloring for programming which causes the comments and some of the other
> keywords to be almost invisible agaist the default gray background of
> emacs. I have tried to change the background colore (like in the old days
> using a .emacs file) to no avail. There was a post from Chris asking about
> changing the color of the cursor with the lisp code he used to change it.
> His code is:
> (setq default-frame-alist
>    '(
>          (cursor-color     . "greenyellow")
>          (cursor-type      . box)
>      )
> )
> which worked fine. So I added a line under the cursor to change the
> background color: (background-color    ."red") and restarted the emacs.
> The color was red for a fraction of a second before it changed back to the
> old gray. Where is this color set? By the way I have also tried to change
> the
> color from the menu:    Edit --> Text Properties --> Background Color -->
> and set it but the actual color of the background does not change.

Do you use KDE ?

You shouldnt turn on "Use colors for non-KDE programs" in the command
center. (maybe this options hasn't exactly this name; I use a german kde).

Uli

1. Need help w/ keymapping for GNU Emacs 20.3/XEmacs 21 on Debian 2.2 for HHK Lite

Hello, all.

I am having a small problem w/ using Emacs of any flavor on my Debian 2.2
system.  About a year or so ago, I purchased a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite
because of the tight key layout, and the reorganization of certain keys.
The CapsLock key becomes the Cntrl key, and the Backspace key (among
others) is selectable using DIP switches as to whether it is a Delete key
(current setup) or a Backspace key.

My current dilema is that 1)  Emacs no longer recognizes the Alt key as a
Meta key, forcing me to use the Esc key which is rather slow for me, and 2)
 the Delete/Backspace key no longer works right -- Before it was either
just 'Delete' in which case it deleted text to the right of the cursor, or
doing a 'Fn+Delete = Backspace' would delete text to the left of the
cursor.  Now it only functions as a Backspace key no matter what.  I might
be able to tinker w/ this using the DIP switches, but that would throw off
how it behaves in every other application I use, which is unacceptable.

If anyone has any sage advice as to how to accomplish either/both of these
fixes, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it.  In the mean time,
I'll continue wading thru the Learning Emacs book, and whatever online
documentation I can find.

Thanks for your time,

Monte

2. Castle Rock

3. background/foreground color, default fonts

4. Good, beginner scanner.

5. Background/Foreground colors

6. Right side of paper?

7. Managing Background / Foreground colors?

8. Real Audio for WEB Explorer?

9. How to change default background/foreground color correctly?

10. how to change default background/foreground color?

11. how to change background/foreground color?

12. how to change the background/foreground color of menu ?

13. color in xterm/rxvt on Debian 2.2 Linux