How to open a file let it read only in emacs?

Post by Ensoul Che » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:22:38

How to open a file let it read only in emacs?

Thanks in Advance.

ICQ: 316069549
FTP: ftp://gidc.vicp.net
--

Post by Jesper Harde » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:35:28

> How to open a file let it read only in emacs?

You can use `find-file-read-only', bound to `C-x C-r'.

Post by Lee Doola » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:17:28

    >> How to open a file let it read only in emacs?

    Jesper> You can use `find-file-read-only', bound to `C-x C-r'.

Or you can read the file (C-x C-f) and then do (M-x toggle-read-onlyRET)

--
no toll on the internet; there are paths of many kinds;
whoever passes this portal will travel freely in the world

Post by Yawar Ami » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:14:48

> How to open a file let it read only in emacs?

> Thanks in Advance.

Or, you can do `M-x view-file' RET FILE-NAME' to view the file called FILE-
NAME.  Viewing is a little different than visiting read-only; not only is
it read-only, but you can page through the file with SPC and backwards with
DEL.

As usual, to find out more about it, do a `C-h m' while viewing the file.

Cheers,
Yawar Amin

1. EMACS/AUCTEX and dtx/ins file types

Hello,

I'm running emacs 20.3 and auctex 9.9 on a win95 machine. When I load a file
with the extension .tex I get the menu command for latexing, viewing, etc. But
when I load a file with the extension dtx or ins, don't get the latex, view,
etc commands. What do I have to change to get the latex stuff for files with
the extensions dtx and ins.

Thanks,
Scott

2. naive questions about SAS procedures

3. EFS files always open as read-only

4. max line length extesible in shell mode?

5. Open specific files in read-only buffer

6. F S Sony E500 fd Monitor

7. How to let VM read Chinese

8. How Come the Executable Files are SO Large?

9. How to open remote FTP-files in read-write mode?

10. Open File as Read-only from Unix Command-line

11. how to make all opened files read-only

12. File open dialog doesnot open

13. File mode specification error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "executable")