eshell again: command list

Post by Rainer Thie » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:31:36

I apologize in advance should this be a silly question.  But is there
anywhere a list of internal eshell-commands?  Or are the eshell-commands
identical with those of some of the major Unix shells (bash, etc.)?  I
am aware of the documentation at

<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CategoryEshell>

(which is most helpful), but I was unable to find a command list there.
I also found some of the features described there do not work under the
eshell included with Emacs 21.2 for Windows, butr that's probably
another story to be told another time.
--
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Rainer Thiel
FB 10, Klass. Phil. - D-35032 Marburg, Germany (EU)

http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~thielr/

eshell again: command list

Post by Galen Boye » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:50:49

Quote:> I apologize in advance should this be a silly question.  But is there
> anywhere a list of internal eshell-commands?  Or are the
> eshell-commands identical with those of some of the major Unix shells
> (bash, etc.)?

Does C-h m within an eshell buffer do the trick?
--
Galen deForest Boyer

eshell again: command list

Post by D. Goe » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:19:19

Quote:> I apologize in advance should this be a silly question.  But is there
> anywhere a list of internal eshell-commands?  Or are the eshell-commands
> identical with those of some of the major Unix shells (bash, etc.)?  I

Mostly identical.

I think Eshell recognizes both "special eshell commands", as well as
"elisp functions" as well as "commands for external shells" [did i
miss out any? ]  viz.

(1) Thus, not only do your bash commands usually work (unless they are
overridden by elisp counterparts), but you have additional (2) eshell
commands.

These eshell commands are known to emacs with an eshell/ preface.

Thus do an M-x apropos eshell/
and you see a list of commands..  Thus, eshell/count means that
there's a command available in eshell called "count"..

(3) Finally, all emacs functions themselves are eshell-commands... thus,
if you type
$+ 2 3

you get 5.

And, i think the Precedence which decides any overrides is:

eshell/*
elisp functions
external shell commands..

1. eshell: eshell-command-result and environment

Hi,

It would be useful if 'eshell-command-result' inherited the set of
environment variables from the invoking shell, since this would make
it more convenient to write eshell functions.

Consider the following example: a function that invokes snmpget on a
remote machine, whose hostname is passed as an argument. The snmpget
command uses an environment variable MIBS; even if this is set (using
"export MIBS=/path/to/the/mib") in the eshell session, it isn't
propagated to the snmp-uptime command.

Is there is a better way to run external commands?  The following
example is simplified; I really want to do a regexp search on the
results of snmpget.

(defun eshell/snmp-uptime (&rest args)
  (eshell-command-result
   (format "snmpget %s public cpuUpTime.0" (first args))))

[I know about the -m option to snmpget]

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

2. Help: Font ID

3. Eshell - a command equivalent to "clear"?

4. syquest

5. putting the status of the previous command into the eshell prompt?

6. Friends fixing Y2K-related problems

7. Eshell-buffer-shorthand and Eshell completions

8. RTQE 7/26/98 - X's flamboyant halo spins forever

9. wish list again

10. Folding a list of lists into a single list

11. Auc-TeX TeX-command-list configuration

12. command: switch to next buffer in buffer-list?

13. Emacs crashes w/ complaint of class list/name list