Question about *~ files

Post by Benjamin T. Fost » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of choice,
I often see files with names ending in the tilde (~) character.
Is there any way to force emacs NOT to create these files? I have
looked everywhere for an answer to this, so please don't flame
me for my lack of emacs knowledge.

Thanks,
ben

--
Benjamin T. Foster
Purdue University Computer Science

Please CC any replies to my email.

Question about *~ files

Post by Ben Pfaf » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

   After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of choice,
   I often see files with names ending in the tilde (~) character.
   Is there any way to force emacs NOT to create these files? I have
   looked everywhere for an answer to this, so please don't flame
   me for my lack of emacs knowledge.

I believe that putting

        (setq backup-inhibited t)

in your .emacs file will have this effect.

Question about *~ files

Post by Navindra Umane » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

At one point in *spacetime
(actually Fri, 27 Feb 1998 14:31:52 -0500 in alt.religion.emacs),

Quote:> Hello,

> After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of choice,
> I often see files with names ending in the tilde (~) character.
> Is there any way to force emacs NOT to create these files? I have
> looked everywhere for an answer to this, so please don't flame
> me for my lack of emacs knowledge.

(setq make-backup-files nil)

Navin
--
"Evolution is not only about survival, it's about domination."  --Prey

Question about *~ files

Post by Lars Balker Rasmusse » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I often see files with names ending in the tilde (~) character.

That is the choice of the editor of Gods.  Mighty handy when combined
with the holy incantation "diff -u foo~ foo".

Quote:> Is there any way to force emacs NOT to create these files?

Of course.

Quote:> I have looked everywhere for an answer to this, so please don't
> flame me for my lack of emacs knowledge.

While it is tempting, I will abstain.  No answer, though.

What are *~ files?  They appear to contain a _backup_ of the file from
before you started to modify it.  So maybe Emacs has a variable to
control the generation of backup-files.

        C-u C-h a backup RET

Why, yes, it does...
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"

Question about *~ files

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Benjamin T Foster said:

  Benjamin> After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of
  Benjamin> choice, I often see files with names ending in the tilde
  Benjamin> (~) character.

These are backup files.  I'm sure they will come in handy at times.
According to Murphy you will need a backup file the day after you turn
off creating backup files, so just don't turn it off so that you'll
never need backup files :-)

Seriously, others have explained how to do it.  I would like to make
you reconsider.

kai
--
GU1LDO R00LEZ!

Question about *~ files

Post by Jon Haugsan » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

* Kai Grossjohann

| These are backup files.  I'm sure they will come in handy at times.
| According to Murphy you will need a backup file the day after you turn
| off creating backup files, so just don't turn it off so that you'll
| never need backup files :-)
|
| Seriously, others have explained how to do it.  I would like to make
| you reconsider.

Yes, and it is better to delete old backup files regularly (e.g. at
night) rather than not creating them.

By the way, is it possible to create automatically backup of the
backup?

--
Jon Haugsand

  Just say NO to frames: http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/say-no-to-frames.html

Question about *~ files

Post by Martin `Rydis' Rydstr| » Sun, 01 Mar 1998 04:00:00

JH> By the way, is it possible to create automatically backup of the
JH> backup?

Assuming you mean versionining backups, (emacs)Backup Names discuss
that. In short, (setq version-control t), or just rename the backup
of the file you want it for to "file~1~".

TTFN,

'mr

--
Varmt ?l ?t frusna m?n,     : Martin "Rydis" Rydstr?m, geek and drunken bastard
och varmt ?l ?t tr?tta;     : Finger me for geek code and PGP-key.  : Please do

Question about *~ files

Post by Cyndi Norm » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of choice,
> I often see files with names ending in the tilde (~) character.
> Is there any way to force emacs NOT to create these files? I have
> looked everywhere for an answer to this, so please don't flame
> me for my lack of emacs knowledge.

You only have to f*ck up a file once to thank Someone for the backup file.
They are worth every bit of inconvience, though I agree they are a pain.

If you decide to keep creating them (and others have told you how not to),
my solution to cleaning them up is a simple unix alias in .cshrc that
deletes them all, regardless of directory, with one command (I have it
query me for each file).  If I wanted it more streamlined I could delete
them in my .logout, but that runs the risk of losing backups in an
accident.

Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman

__________________________________________________ http://www.best.com/~cnorman

Question about *~ files

Post by Amit Pat » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|   Benjamin> After editing a file with emacs, the superior editor of
|   Benjamin> choice, I often see files with names ending in the tilde
|   Benjamin> (~) character.
|
| These are backup files.  I'm sure they will come in handy at times.
| According to Murphy you will need a backup file the day after you turn
| off creating backup files, so just don't turn it off so that you'll
| never need backup files :-)
|
| Seriously, others have explained how to do it.  I would like to make
| you reconsider.

I don't mind having backups.  I just don't want them to be in the same
directory, where I can _see_ them.

So I think the best solution is to put them elsewhere.  Does the
auto-save package do this?  Hmm.

        - Amit

P.S.  Maybe weird but I like to keep my .c, .h files in the directory
        I'm working in and the .o, .c~, .h~ files elsewhere.  I guess
        I want computer-generated files to be kept separate from
        human-generated files! :)

Question about *~ files

Post by Kai Grossjohan » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> On 1 Mar 1998, Amit Patel said:

  Amit> I don't mind having backups.  I just don't want them to be in
  Amit> the same directory, where I can _see_ them.

See the documentation of make-backup-file-name.  Also follow all
pointers from this documentation.

kai
--
GU1LDO R00LEZ!

Question about *~ files

Post by Richard Hoskin » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I don't mind having backups.  I just don't want them to be in the same
> directory, where I can _see_ them.

But Dired-X can `omit' them.  You'll never see them unless you want
to.

Question about *~ files

Post by Emilio Lope » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> I don't mind having backups. I just don't want them to be in the
>> same directory, where I can _see_ them.

RH> But Dired-X can `omit' them. You'll never see them unless you want
RH> to.

One can also do

        alias ls='ls -B'

if you're using the GNU fileutils.

--

 Where there is choice there is misery.

Question about *~ files

Post by Roland Jess » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> find $HOME -name "*~" -o -name ".*~" -exec rm \{\} \;

Depending on how many files you usually edit, it might be a better
idea to use

find $HOME -name "*~" -o -name ".*~" | xargs rm

        Roland

Question about *~ files

Post by David Kastru » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> writes:

> > > find $HOME -name "*~" -o -name ".*~" -exec rm \{\} \;

> > Depending on how many files you usually edit, it might be a better
> > idea to use

> > find $HOME -name "*~" -o -name ".*~" | xargs rm

> >       Roland

> Unless you have filenames with whitespaces in it, in which case you
> should consider (with gnu fileutils)

>   find $HOME -name "*~" -o -name ".*~" -print0 | xargs --null rm

Which is the only acceptible option for a system administrator.  Or he
might get a nice surprise after running his cleanout script for
temporary directories finding that some user did a
touch 'hoho /etc/passwd'
somewhere in that hierarchy.

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570

Institut fr Neuroinformatik, Universit?tsstr. 150, 44780 Bochum, Germany

Question about *~ files

Post by Lars Balker Rasmusse » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Unless you have filenames with whitespaces in it

But why would ANYONE sane have that!?  I mean, ANYONE!?
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"

1. Questions: Open File, Select Text, browse source code

Hi,

i just downloaded xemacs-21.1.2 and xemacs-sumo-2000-10-23.
Now i have several questions:

1.
When i click the "Open"-icon in the menu list, a window
appears for a fraction of a second and the message:

Symbol's function definition is void: make-annotation

appears.  How can i load a file?  I know about C-x C-f, but
i'd rather like to have a "file select box" or even better
some kind of hierarchical menu from which i can drag&drop
a file into xemacs.  Is there a way to do this?

2.
Is there a way to select text with Shift-[Cursor-Keys]?

3.
I'd like to browse and edit C source code, how do i use
"ctags" or "etags" with xemacs?  When i try
Menubar:Tools:Tags:Select Tabs Table File
the same message appears as when i try to open a file.
What did i do wrong?

Best regards,
Torsten.

2. Getting registry info and using it???

3. question on file name extension for C++ mode

4. SLIP dynamic addressing

5. Two simple questions (region) (files)

6. midi midi midi input???

7. Xemacs 19.13: question about file-name-completion

8. newbie question: remote file access via XEMACS

9. `find-dired' function question (find file of type x?)

10. Two simple questions (region) (files)

11. xemacs question "Master file (default this file)" when loading a file

12. backup files ( '*~*' files) question..