custom.el problem

Post by David Bakha » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

In XEmacs 19.15 [Lucid] (sparc-sun-solaris2.4) of Wed Mar 26 1997 on etude

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

if I do:

M-x customize

group: strokes

there is one custom variable which is declared as a file (called
`strokes-file').  it is defined like this:

(defcustom strokes-file "~/.strokes"
  "*File containing saved strokes for stroke-mode (default is ~/.strokes)."
  :type 'file
  :group 'strokes)

However, when I try to set this field in the *Customization* buffer
using the mouse (button2 click on the word `file' below:

** File:  /home/dave/.strokes-backup
State: this item has been saved.

then the problem is that the dialog box doesn't navigate me to a file,
but rahter a directory, and just basically seems messed up.  Let me know
what I'm doing wrong if it's my mistake.

dave

Recent input:
q q C-g button1 button1up misc-user C-h a \ b b u g
b DEL \ b RET q ESC x c u s t o m i z e RET s t r o
SPC RET button3 misc-user button2 button2up misc-user
misc-user misc-user misc-user misc-user misc-user misc-user
misc-user misc-user button2 button2up button2 button2up
misc-user C-g C-g C-g C-] C-TAB q ESC x r e p o r t
SPC x e SPC b SPC RET c u s t o m . e l SPC p r o b
e l BS DEL BS DEL l e m RET

Recent messages:
Opening directory: not a directory, /home/dave/.strokes-backup/README.TXT

Hi all,

Am I right to assume that (with XEmacs 21.4.4)  init.el is loaded before
custom.el? Wouldn't it be better to load custom settings first?

The problem with this load order occurs if you use, e.g., recent-files
and change the menu path via the options/customize submenu. Now, when
recent-files is loaded, it uses its default values for setup but uses
later on the settings from custom.el. As a result you get _two_ recent
files menus. The same problem also occurs with some other packages,
which is why I think this loading order isn't right. Is there a way to
tell XEmacs to load custom.el first?

Cheers,
Thomas.

2. How can I save file

3. custom hosed my .custom

4. Cant See Samba Shares

5. "custom-requests", "custom-type"?

6. VICE: how do I emulate the joystick with the keyboard?

7. 19.12 problems with uniquify.el, lispdir.el, csh-mode.el

8. filter design in z-domain

9. Manual edit of custom.el

10. 21.4.4 doesn't "see" custom.el

11. Gnus 5 -- xemacs/emacs coexistence -- how do I ignore .custom.el

12. Writing own variable to .xemacs/custom.el

13. cus-theme.el -- custom theme creation user interface