New screen not accepting input until clicked in

Post by Mark Osbour » Sun, 23 Oct 1994 01:41:58

   Newsgroups: alt.lucid-emacs.bug

   Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 10:30:08 GMT

      I'm having another small problem that is affecting my Sun4 version of
      XEmacs 19.11 but not affecting my Solaris version of XEmacs 19.11.

      The problem is that a new screen (created by either calling
      make-screen, using C-x 5 2, or using the menu item) will not accept
      any keyboard input, until mouse button 1 is clicked in the new screen.
      Mouse buttons 2 and 3 work as they are supposed to, but do not start
      the screen accepting input like button 1 does.

      This affects only the sun4 version that I compiled, and not the
      Solaris2.3 version that I compiled.

   Are you sure this doesn't have something to do with your window manager?
   Perhaps it's set to explicit-focus mode and button1 is bound to set
   focus to the window.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to do with the window manager
since it is recreateable under fvwm, twm and mwm.

Under fvwm running on my Solaris box (having xemacs running on a Sun4
displaying back to my desktop), the window gets focus when I move the
pointer into it, and I can use the menus and scrollbar, but when I
want to type into the window, I still need to click button 1 in the
text area.

This problem is not in lemacs 19.10 that I have running under SunOS or
Solaris, and not in XEmacs 19.11 under Solaris.

I'm still stumped.

Post by Ben Wi » Wed, 26 Oct 1994 07:48:36

>    Newsgroups: alt.lucid-emacs.bug

>    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 10:30:08 GMT

>       I'm having another small problem that is affecting my Sun4 version of
>       XEmacs 19.11 but not affecting my Solaris version of XEmacs 19.11.

>       The problem is that a new screen (created by either calling
>       make-screen, using C-x 5 2, or using the menu item) will not accept
>       any keyboard input, until mouse button 1 is clicked in the new screen.
>       Mouse buttons 2 and 3 work as they are supposed to, but do not start
>       the screen accepting input like button 1 does.

>       This affects only the sun4 version that I compiled, and not the
>       Solaris2.3 version that I compiled.

>    Are you sure this doesn't have something to do with your window manager?
>    Perhaps it's set to explicit-focus mode and button1 is bound to set
>    focus to the window.

> I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to do with the window manager
> since it is recreateable under fvwm, twm and mwm.

> Under fvwm running on my Solaris box (having xemacs running on a Sun4
> displaying back to my desktop), the window gets focus when I move the
> pointer into it, and I can use the menus and scrollbar, but when I
> want to type into the window, I still need to click button 1 in the
> text area.

> This problem is not in lemacs 19.10 that I have running under SunOS or
> Solaris, and not in XEmacs 19.11 under Solaris.

> I'm still stumped.

Could you perhaps be using an older version of Motif (e.g. 1.1)? I don't
see this problem on a Sun 4.1.3U1 machine.

Ben Wing

New screen not accepting input until clicked in

Post by Richard G. Has » Fri, 28 Oct 1994 04:14:31

[if you see this twice, sorry]

Quote:>       I'm having another small problem that is affecting my Sun4 version of
>       XEmacs 19.11 but not affecting my Solaris version of XEmacs 19.11.

>       The problem is that a new screen (created by either calling
>       make-screen, using C-x 5 2, or using the menu item) will not accept
>       any keyboard input, until mouse button 1 is clicked in the new
>       screen.
>       Mouse buttons 2 and 3 work as they are supposed to, but do not start
>       the screen accepting input like button 1 does.

>    Are you sure this doesn't have something to do with your window manager?
>    Perhaps it's set to explicit-focus mode and button1 is bound to set
>    focus to the window.

> I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to do with the window manager
> since it is recreateable under fvwm, twm and mwm.
> This problem is not in lemacs 19.10 that I have running under SunOS or
> Solaris, and not in XEmacs 19.11 under Solaris.

> I'm still stumped.

I had this problem with xemacs (19.11) when I compiled and linked
against R5_Motif1.1.4. When I used R5_Motif1.2.4 the "click-before-type"
problem went away.

--

Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center  phone: (713) 245-7311
Member Team Ada                Free Ada94 compilers: cs.nyu.edu:/pub/gnat