Shell trouble - third post (was Shell trouble - second post, please read)

Shell trouble - third post (was Shell trouble - second post, please read)

Post by Rodney Stromlun » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Surely someone somewhere has had this problem.  I am
on a HP-UX 10.20 PA2.0.  I have tried switching my
stty settings to just about everything possible and
I always have the same problem.  I have not gotten a
single email on this.  Please just email me and tell
me to shut up!  Please read on :

When I enter shell mode (I'm using ksh) if I start a
program that has lots of output, I can't break it
or move my cursor around until the program ends.  Its
almost like xemacs is waiting for the shell to take a
breath before it will interrupt it.

ie. If I pull a Homer and do "tar x" instead of a "tar t",
I can press ^C^C and the screen freezes and I won't see anything
until the find command finishes.  But, when the screen finally
refreshes, the find command was allowed to run to completion.
Depending on the tarball, this could be a very bad thing!
Then the ^C^C goes thru and I see a two command lines.
That's just a little too late! This is happens with the latest
release xemacs (21.1) and all betas I've used.  This never happened
on 20.4.

Or: If I do a "tar t" and I want to start scrolling thru the
output before the command finishes; as soon as I press a key
the output freezes until the find finishes.  And (say I pressed
page up) the page up takes place from the bottom of the output
and not where I actually pressed the key.

This problem isn't there in telnet or rsh.  It is there in
rlogin and shell.

If this is a FAQ or documented somewhere, just let me know.
Otherwise HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx in advance,

================================
Rodney Stromlund
Southwest Airlines Co.
Systems Department
Sales & Revenue Accounting Group

(214) 792-6484
================================

Shell trouble - third post (was Shell trouble - second post, please read)

Post by Karl M. Hegblo » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

 I've seen this sort of thing also.  C-c C-c, and it hangs for a long
 time, flashing the gc cursor now and again.

Post by Justin Vall » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Surely someone somewhere has had this problem.  I am
> on a HP-UX 10.20 PA2.0.  I have tried switching my
> stty settings to just about everything possible and
> I always have the same problem.  I have not gotten a
> single email on this.  Please just email me and tell
> me to shut up!  Please read on :

> When I enter shell mode (I'm using ksh) if I start a
> program that has lots of output, I can't break it
> or move my cursor around until the program ends.  Its
> almost like xemacs is waiting for the shell to take a
> breath before it will interrupt it.

That happens to me too, and it is really annoying.

My guess is that input is arriving too fast for xemacs to process the
input, making xemacs the bottleneck.  Then, maybe X events are not handled
while there is non-X pipe input to process.  Maybe include display updates
in there somewhere.

Maybe non-X input is being considered a higher priority than X input
and/or X display refresh has very low priority.  I think both may be true.

Quote:> This problem isn't there in telnet or rsh.  It is there in
> rlogin and shell.

Maybe the process-input path is shorter in those modes?  Does telnet do
fontification?  Maybe it can be turned off in shell modes to at least
help with the input flood?

-Justin

Shell trouble - third post (was Shell trouble - second post, please read)

Post by Rodney Stromlun » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes, it is annoying and I agree that it seems that the shells
output takes priority over your input.  I made sure that font-lock
was not on in case it was a regexp problem (actually I don't use
font-lock in shell-mode ever).  I looked at the 20.4 shell.el and
the new package style shell.el and there isn't that much difference.

If, from a shell buffer, I rlogin into another box I can break a
program right away.  If I exit the rlogin, the bad behaviour returns.

I am guessing that since shell is on the same box the pipes are treated
different than a pipe to a different machine.  This could be a change
to the process C code in XEmacs or it can be a un?x issue.

================================
Rodney Stromlund
Southwest Airlines Co.
Systems Department
Sales & Revenue Accounting Group

(214) 792-6484
================================

> Surely someone somewhere has had this problem.  I am
> on a HP-UX 10.20 PA2.0.  I have tried switching my
> stty settings to just about everything possible and
> I always have the same problem.  I have not gotten a
> single email on this.  Please just email me and tell
> me to shut up!  Please read on :

> When I enter shell mode (I'm using ksh) if I start a
> program that has lots of output, I can't break it
> or move my cursor around until the program ends.  Its
> almost like xemacs is waiting for the shell to take a
> breath before it will interrupt it.

That happens to me too, and it is really annoying.

My guess is that input is arriving too fast for xemacs to process the
input, making xemacs the bottleneck.  Then, maybe X events are not handled
while there is non-X pipe input to process.  Maybe include display updates
in there somewhere.

Maybe non-X input is being considered a higher priority than X input
and/or X display refresh has very low priority.  I think both may be true.

Quote:> This problem isn't there in telnet or rsh.  It is there in
> rlogin and shell.

Maybe the process-input path is shorter in those modes?  Does telnet do
fontification?  Maybe it can be turned off in shell modes to at least
help with the input flood?

-Justin

1. Shell trouble - second post, please read

When I enter shell mode (I'm using ksh) if I start a
program that has lots of output, I can't break it
or move my cursor around until the program ends.  Its
almost like xemacs is waiting for the shell to take a
breath before it will interrupt it.

ie. If I pull a Homer and do "find /", I can press
^C^C and the screen freezes and I won't see anything
until the find command finishes.  But, when the screen
finally refreshes, the find command was allowed to run
to completion.  Then the ^C^C goes thru and I see a
double command line.  This is happens with the latest
release xemacs (21.1) and the beta 21.2.17.

Or: If I do a "find /" (on purpose this time) and I want
to start scrolling thru the output before the command finishes;
as soon as I press a key the output freezes until the
find finishes and (say I pressed page up) the page up
takes place from the bottom of the output and not where
I actually pressed the page up.

This problem isn't there in telnet or rsh.  It is there in
rlogin and shell; and term is all screwed up.

If this is a FAQ or documented somewhere, just let me know.
Otherwise HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx in advance,

================================
Rodney Stromlund
Southwest Airlines Co.
Systems Department
Sales & Revenue Accounting Group

(214) 792-6484
================================

2. Restoring OE folders from Win98 to Win 2K?

3. shell prompt garbled with xemacs - 2nd posting

4. Telecommunications Information Pointers and CBT

5. trouble invoking shell in emacs

6. Error?????

7. cygwin/grep/shell troubles

8. Netscape newest version

9. Shell-mode trouble in GNUmacs

10. Trouble running shell programs within emacs..

11. Trouble with shell-popd-regexp in GNU 17.49

12. Shell mode, comint, and directory tracking: read directory from shell output (Marick's hack)

13. Trouble entering two colons, what's the problem?