AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by D. D. Brierto » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:09:01

Using Mac OS X 10.2.6, Emacs 21.3.50.6, AucTeX 11.13, and teTeX (I'm not
sure which version, but a fairly up-to-date one).

I'm trying to set up Emacs and AucTeX on a friends iBook so that she has a
sane*authoring environment (and get plenty of support from all the
other people in her department who use Emacs and AucTeX on Linux and
Solaris boxes). Unfortunately, I don't know much about Macs. Everything
seems to be working okay, except that whenever I try and run a command on
the buffer I'm working on I get an "exited abnormally with code 127"
error.

So, say I open in Emacs her Thesis.tex, and then do Command -> "LaTeX
Interactive" I get the following a new window:

Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''

LaTeX Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3 21:57:12

I'm guessing that either the default
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el needs to be tweaked for Mac OS X,
or that the TeX Command List needs to be customized.

Could someone please give me some pointers?

TIA, Darren

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by David Kastru » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:32:50

Quote:> Using Mac OS X 10.2.6, Emacs 21.3.50.6, AucTeX 11.13, and teTeX (I'm not
> sure which version, but a fairly up-to-date one).

> I'm trying to set up Emacs and AucTeX on a friends iBook so that she has a
> sane*authoring environment (and get plenty of support from all the
> other people in her department who use Emacs and AucTeX on Linux and
> Solaris boxes). Unfortunately, I don't know much about Macs. Everything
> seems to be working okay, except that whenever I try and run a command on
> the buffer I'm working on I get an "exited abnormally with code 127"
> error.

> So, say I open in Emacs her Thesis.tex, and then do Command -> "LaTeX
> Interactive" I get the following a new window:

> Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''

>*Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3
> 21:57:12

Sounds like `latex' is not in your PATH.

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by D. D. Brierto » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:48:03

>> Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''

>>*Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3
>> 21:57:12

> Sounds like `latex' is not in your PATH.

Sorry - I missed out a crucial piece of information (my fault). If I open
a terminal and cd to the directory containing Thesis.tex, and then run

latex Thesis.tex

in the terminal it runs fine and without error.

What is error code 127 - is it a (la)tex error code or an AucTex one?

Best, Darren

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by David Kastru » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:07:06

> >> Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''

> >>*Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3
> >> 21:57:12

> > Sounds like `latex' is not in your PATH.

> Sorry - I missed out a crucial piece of information (my fault). If I open
> a terminal and cd to the directory containing Thesis.tex, and then run

>*Thesis.tex

> in the terminal it runs fine and without error.

> What is error code 127 - is it a (la)tex error code or an AucTex one?

An OS error.  If the above is the complete log,*does not even
get started.  What happens if you type
M-x shell RET
*RET
from within Emacs?  What do you get if you type
M-!*RET
from within Emacs?

Note that the shell used for TeX commands is configured in the
variable TeX-shell and defaults to /bin/sh.

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by D. D. Brierto » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:36:04

>> What is error code 127 - is it a (la)tex error code or an AucTex one?

> An OS error.

Ah.

Quote:> If the above is the complete log,*does not even
> get started.

Yes, the output I sent you was the total output.

Quote:> What happens if you type
> M-x shell RET

A shell window starts up just fine.

Quote:>*RET

Actually, what I did was whilst the Thesis.tex buffer was the focused
window I did M-x shell so that the shell started in the directory
containing Thesis.tex and then I did*Thesis.tex:

[pc-62-31-76-10-ed:~/Documents/THESIS/New Thesis] jelena%*THESIS.tex
latex: Command not found.

Quote:> from within Emacs?  What do you get if you type
> M-!*RET
> from within Emacs?

Again, I did M-!*Thesis.tex, and got:

latex: Command not found

in the Minibuffer.

Quote:> Note that the shell used for TeX commands is configured in the
> variable TeX-shell and defaults to /bin/sh.

Now I'm a bit puzzled. The commands not working from within AucTeX was
something I assumed was wrong with tex-site.el. But the fact that*
isn't found in Emacs from either M-! or M-x shell whilst there are no
problems in OS X's terminal is puzzling me. Emacs doesn't maintain it's
own $PATH variable does it? I thought it just picked it up from whatever
your login shell was. Although as this stuff just works on Linux, and I am
very unused to BSD in general and OS X in particular I don't suppose that
what I think is very significant!

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by Mark Tretti » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:59:46

Hallo,

[*isn't found by Emacs ]

Quote:> Now I'm a bit puzzled. The commands not working from within AucTeX was
> something I assumed was wrong with tex-site.el. But the fact that*
> isn't found in Emacs from either M-! or M-x shell whilst there are no
> problems in OS X's terminal is puzzling me.

What happens if you *start* your *emacs* from that "xterm" and try those
commands again?

Quote:> Emacs doesn't maintain it's own $PATH variable does it?

Not that I know.  (getenv "PATH")
                                 ^---Put the Cursor here and hit C-x C-e.

This should print the $PATH Emacs uses.

[...]

Greetings

         Mark
--
Mark Trettin Aachen Germany Where is Aachen? --> N: 5046' E: 0605'
BOFH excuse #230:

Lusers learning curve appears to be fractal

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:12:07

Quote:> Now I'm a bit puzzled. The commands not working from within AucTeX was
> something I assumed was wrong with tex-site.el. But the fact that*
> isn't found in Emacs from either M-! or M-x shell whilst there are no
> problems in OS X's terminal is puzzling me. Emacs doesn't maintain it's
> own $PATH variable does it? I thought it just picked it up from whatever
> your login shell was. Although as this stuff just works on Linux, and I am
> very unused to BSD in general and OS X in particular I don't suppose that
> what I think is very significant!

The problem is that MacOS has multiple ways to set $PATH.  When you
log in to the GUI, one way is used, when you start a Terminal, it
starts a shell, which reads its shell init files, and thus uses a
second way.

I'm guessing that the path is set in the shell init files, but not
when you log in via the GUI.
--
~/.signature

AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Post by Pierre Gasto » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:59:00

>> Emacs doesn't maintain it's own $PATH variable does it?

> Not that I know.  (getenv "PATH")

Emacs does have it's own path variable see C-h v exec-path RET

1. Setting up Emacs, AucTeX and (La)TeX on Mac OSX

Apologies for cross-posting to comp.text.tex and the Emacs groups. Please
prune/set follow-ups accordingly.

A friend of mine has decided at a very late stage of writing up her PhD
thesis to switch from MS Word to LaTeX. She's a Mac user, using the latest
OSX. As I wrote my thesis in LaTeX using Emacs/AucTeX I've offered to help
her out. The trouble is that she's a Mac user who knows next to nothing about
Unix, and I'm a Unix (specifically Linux) user who knows next to nothing
about Macs. As this is quite late in the day for her to be doing this
(although it is almost certainly necessary) I was wondering if someone out
there might be able to point me in the direction of some how-tos, or even hold
my (our) hand through this.

First questions: is it best (or necessary) to install the X server Apple
recently released, or are there native Aqua builds of Emacs and whatever DVI
viewers she might need (I guess that if she just uses pdflatex then she can
just use Aqua's native PDF rendering for previewing?)?

Next question: are there nice prebuilt binary packages which we can download
and install, or do we need to build from source, and if so, does the
bog-standard OSX install contain all the necessary developer tools?

Last (for now): how similar are the standard install paths on OSX to Linux?
Can I just make install auctex into /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp? And do
whatever LaTeX macros she needs go into ~/texmf?

If there is a better place to post ask this kind of thing (e.g. an Aqua/OSX
for Linux users newsgroup) then please let me know.

TIA, Darren

5. Xemacs on Mac OSX, but displaying on unix terminal?

6. gnuattach on Solaris 2.5.1

7. Xemacs on Mac OSX

8. DHCP problem

9. Mac OSX TeX / To X11 or Not?

10. C-a & C-e stopped working in Shell mode (Mac OSX)

11. Recommend CLI/GUI newsreaders for Mac OSX

12. Emacs 21.1 for the Mac OSX

13. auctex and x-symbol related problem (was auctex and x-symbol)