Post by Joe » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:51:16

Hello,

Not sure if this is possible but...

Many times I'm reading a file that is checked into source control
and as a result I have read-only access.  I then decide I want to
check the file out and modify it... problem is, if I C-x C-f to
reload the file, emacs doesn't see the file as modified and so, still
thinks I have read-only access.  I have to quit out of emacs and
load the file that way.

Is there a variable I can set so emacs considers this file modified and
so re-loads it?

It's a small thing... but it happens all the time!

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:18:00

>Hello,

>Not sure if this is possible but...

>Many times I'm reading a file that is checked into source control
>and as a result I have read-only access.  I then decide I want to
>check the file out and modify it... problem is, if I C-x C-f to
>reload the file, emacs doesn't see the file as modified and so, still
>thinks I have read-only access.  I have to quit out of emacs and
>load the file that way.

>Is there a variable I can set so emacs considers this file modified and
>so re-loads it?

>It's a small thing... but it happens all the time!

Why aren't you using Emacs's commands to check the file out?

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

Post by Kin Ch » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 03:18:08

M-x revert-buffer

-kin

Post by Steve Alla » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:55:17

>M-x revert-buffer

Another way (which I'm partial to) is C-x C-v.  This runs the command
find-alternate-file, but it puts the filename associated with the
current buffer as the default, so all you have to do is hit <enter> to
reload the file.

--
-- Steve

Post by Joe » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:33:33

> Why aren't you using Emacs's commands to check the file out?

Hmmmm.... I guess I could... can emacs handle clearcase?

Post by Joe » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:35:11

> Why aren't you using Emacs's commands to check the file out?

How do I check files out using clearcase?

Post by Klaus Zeitle » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:57:57

    Joe> How do I check files out using clearcase?

look for the clearcase.el package from Kevin Esler. If you can't find it
I can mail it.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
---
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack
the time to make it shorter.             -- Blaise Pascal

1. xemacs up all the time and having EDITOR var set to load the file

Is there a way where I can have xemacs up all the time, and when a
programs spawns the EDITOR variable, have the already running xemacs
load that file?  (I want it to be like when you click on a url in
another program and your browser is already up, have the browser go to
that page without spawning another window)

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing
ever dies..."
                      - Ellis "Red" Redding
                        The Shawshank Redemption

2. QEMM and MicroStation for DOS Windows

3. Any utility for file attribute changes?

4. URGENT NEED - Programmer/Analyst - Oak Brook, IL - 6+ Month

5. Fontifying attributes changes when changing size of font

6. typo in db-4.2.52 javadoc?

7. load-path: prepending own dirs vs. packages change load-path

8. AOL and MediaOne L.A. Cable Modem Bottleneck! HELP!

9. changing the default load file

10. How do you change settings in files that are loaded into executable?

11. Can't change modeline attributes in reverse video

12. i'd like to change the face-lock-face-attributes used in face-lock