Toward a CEAN (Comprehensive Emacs Archive Network) ?

Toward a CEAN (Comprehensive Emacs Archive Network) ?

Post by Ronan Keryel » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:52:39

What about a kind of Comprehensive Emacs Archive Network in the same way
we have CTAN for TeX or CPAN for PERL ?

As root we could just have to do
 emacs --cean ecb
 and hop ecb would be here for example.

I'm curious of the state of Emacs installation on various operating
system.

I'm rather pleased with Debian where a lot of Emacs modes come as
packages. The /etc/emacs/site-start.d architecture is good too.

But it is still a pity to see such a piece of software like emacs is not widely used
because it comes like a bare bone OS without any application and not full
fledged configured as default... :-(

Sure we can argue on the default but it is simpler for a high-end user to
change the default than for a plain user to change its bare bone default
environment...

I can just see this situation in my university... If the system
administrators are not emacs aware or lisp aware, it's impossible to
install in a usable way... :-(
--
  Ronan KERYELL               |\/  Tel:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.14.15
  Labo Informatique & Tlcom |/)  Fax:    (+33|0) 2.29.00.12.82

  FRANCE                      | \  http://www.lit.enstb.org/~keryell

Post by Jesper Harde » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:03:33

> What about a kind of Comprehensive Emacs Archive Network in the same way
> we have CTAN for TeX or CPAN for PERL ?

> As root we could just have to do
>  emacs --cean ecb
>  and hop ecb would be here for example.

> I'm curious of the state of Emacs installation on various operating
> system.

XEmacs has a package system somewhat similar to that.  For instance
try

    Tools -> Packages -> List and Install

from the menu bar in XEmacs.  Something like that would be nice for
Emacs, too -- hopefully learning from some of the mistakes of the
XEmacs system.

There's also the Emacs Lisp List of third-party code:

  <http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html>

which can also be browsed from inside Emacs with ell.el.

Quote:> But it is still a pity to see such a piece of software like emacs is
> not widely used because it comes like a bare bone OS without any
> application

I don't think this is true.  For example Emacs is shipped with no less
than three different email clients: Rmail, mh-e and Gnus

1. xCEAN package format, was: proposed Comprehensive Emacs Archive Network

How does one pursue adding a new function (of this high a level) to
Emacs? Also, since XEmacs seems to be a similar product :-) that has
already developed this functionality, we should probably look at (or
just steal ?-) (in the Miles Davis sense :-) how they do it.

Indeed. Has anyone looked at the XEmacs package format? How suitable
is it for these purposes?

2. FreeNetAccessWorldwide

3. CEAN?

4. DNS Query Failure for Active Directory

5. Where can I find a comprehensive place for texi files?

6. MSVC Class Wizard and WM_COMMNOTIFY - Help

7. Project: comprehensive "to-do list" mode

8. Quantum 34550 on HP-UX 9.x

9. mail archive for jwz vs. rms Emacs design debate [was: differences between XEmacs and Lucid Emacs?]

10. Network Transparent Emacs

11. Dos/Mac Emacs with networking

12. Network performance of emacs

13. Editing files across a network (W2K und Emacs)