strange font lock (for latex) behavior in emacs

strange font lock (for latex) behavior in emacs

Post by HS » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:13:56

First of all, my apologies for the cross postings, but I figured the
problem could be solved by anyone in all these groups.

It is to do with font lock in emacs for Latex.

I have Auctex installed (ver 10.0g, release 4) with emacs (ver. 21.2
release 18) on Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernal 2.4.18-14). When I open a .tex
document, the font lock mode behaves in a strange way. Many commands are
not highlighted at all (\documentclass, \maketitle, \item, {they are
supposed to be highlighted I guess} etc). And sometimes, when I begin
typing "\usepackage....", the usepackage command starts oft highlighted
(in pink) but midway turns into normal text (black on white).

Moreover, I have also seen some highlights actually flash on and off at
random interval!

Font-lock works perfectly in CC mode.

Quite honestly, at present I am not even sure where to start to look for
a solution. So your comments are most welcome and all help is very much
apprecaited.

Thanks,
->HS
--
#############
Remove the underscores from my email to get my real email address. My

Post by David Kastru » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:20:12

> First of all, my apologies for the cross postings, but I figured the
> problem could be solved by anyone in all these groups.

> It is to do with font lock in emacs for Latex.

> I have Auctex installed (ver 10.0g, release 4) with emacs (ver. 21.2
> release 18) on Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernal 2.4.18-14).

That is entirely unnecessary.  10.0g is utterly outdated.  There are
RedHat RPM files available from the download site accessible from
AUCTeX's home site, <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/>, and I
would recommend 11.14 (the "beta" is just nominal here).

It is quite likely that will make your problems go away.

strange font lock (for latex) behavior in emacs

Post by HS » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:31:37

Hey,

Thanks, I just installed auctex-11.14-1.noarch.rpm (had to uninstall
auctex-emacs that was there with the older auctex) and it seems to be
working fine.

Thanks again,
->HS

>>First of all, my apologies for the cross postings, but I figured the
>>problem could be solved by anyone in all these groups.

>>It is to do with font lock in emacs for Latex.

>>I have Auctex installed (ver 10.0g, release 4) with emacs (ver. 21.2
>>release 18) on Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernal 2.4.18-14).

> That is entirely unnecessary.  10.0g is utterly outdated.  There are
> RedHat RPM files available from the download site accessible from
> AUCTeX's home site, <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/>, and I
> would recommend 11.14 (the "beta" is just nominal here).

> It is quite likely that will make your problems go away.

--
#############
Remove the underscores from my email to get my real email address. My
apologies
for this inconvenience, but it is to reduce spam.
############

1. Strange font-lock behavior: takes two tries

When I open up (say) my first Lisp file of a session, I get color
syntax highlighting, but the colored fonts are different sixes.  If
I turn syntax highlighting off and back on, everything is fine for the
rest of the session.

Anybody know how to get it to work right at startup?

+-     PETER DUDEY DRAKE      279-D SE Lilly Ave.,  Corvallis, OR  97333     -+
|       MS student in Artificial Intelligence, Oregon State University        |
|                                                                             |
|                "All history up to this point has been spent                 |
|                    preparing the world for my presence."                    |
|                                          -Calvin                            |
|                                                                             |

2. SUNrpc and LWP

3. strange global-font-lock-mode behavior

4. Address translation

5. Frame-geometry : Strange behaviour for proportional Fonts ???

6. question

7. 19.12: Strange hiliting using font-lock with GDB mode

8. email switch identities

9. Strange font-lock error

10. Strange font-lock problem in c or c++ mode

11. font-lock-mode and latex-mode problem

12. LaTeX font lock problem

13. Strange .emacs vs site-init behavior?