Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Mark Nathan Broad » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to run a program in a shell
within Emacs on Windows NT?  I have been using
Unix for quite some time, but recently purchased
an NT machine, and I haven't been able to figure
out a solution.  I've tried both GnuEmacs and
Epsilon.  It used to work under Windows 3.1...

Thanks.

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Brian Masinic » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

I won't say it is IMPOSSIBLE to do with the standard WINNT shell, but I don't
think it would be a trivial thing to do.  The easiest way to get Windows NT to
act like UNIX is to PORT as much of the UNIX utilities to Windows as you can.
Fortunately, there are several good efforts, both free and commercial, that do
this.

An excellent commercial product that ports many UNIX applications, and is used
in many corporations who have mixed UNIX and NT environments is the MKS
Toolkit.  I have used a recent implementation of this and can vouch for its high
quality.  It has a vi implementation that works nicely with Windows, and a
quality implementation of the Korn Shell.

But excellent software need not be commercial.  Some of the best software in the
WORLD is produced under the GNU Public License, or GPL.  Examples of these are
GNU Emacs, of course, (which runs superbly on NT, thanks to Geoff Voelker et.
al. at the University of Washington), and bash, the "Bourne Again Shell".  But
there is an ENTIRE SUITE of UNIX utilities that has been ported to Windows, and
they work on any Win32 platform... Windows 95, 98, NT.  Don't know the URL
offhand, but use Yahoo and search for GNU utilities on Windows, and you might be
surprised what you can find!

Brian

> Does anyone know how to run a program in a shell
> within Emacs on Windows NT?  I have been using
> Unix for quite some time, but recently purchased
> an NT machine, and I haven't been able to figure
> out a solution.  I've tried both GnuEmacs and
> Epsilon.  It used to work under Windows 3.1...

> Thanks.

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Holger Wenze » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is exactly the location you were thinking of, but
this is the stuff I'm using, when I'm forced to work on a MS-Windows
machine:

 http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

Holger

--
Holger Wenzel                       Institut fuer Technische Mechanik
Tel: +49/241/804624                                                                                                  Templergraben 64

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Chris McMaha » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

You might try RKTools as well. Less overhead than installing the
Cygwin utilities, and it comes with all of the basic unix utils.

http://www.reedkotler.com/toolset.htm

Also, here is an excellent port of tcsh (my preferred shell).
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/amol/tcsh/

Chris McMahan

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=================================

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Brian Masinic » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.  If you bring in the Cygwin tools and run
Bash with it, you SHOULD be able to do what you want.  ;-)

> Hi,

> I'm not sure if this is exactly the location you were thinking of, but
> this is the stuff I'm using, when I'm forced to work on a MS-Windows
> machine:

>  http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/

> Holger

> --
> Holger Wenzel                       Institut fuer Technische Mechanik
> Tel: +49/241/804624                                                                                                  Templergraben 64

Running .exe programs in Emacs shell in Win NT

Post by Tim Christia » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

    Chris> You might try RKTools as well. Less overhead than
    Chris> installing the Cygwin utilities, and it comes with all of
    Chris> the basic unix utils.

    Chris> http://www.reedkotler.com/toolset.htm

ARgh.  Not too happy with rktools on first blush.  First of all, the
install routine set my Win32 PATH (system-wide, not in the current
shell) to: C:\rktools\bin;DID_NOT_FIND_VALUE

I don't see what is "less overhead" about this > 32MB system
(installed).  The tools did seem (subjectively) to run a little
quicker, is that what you meant?

The license for the software is vague, at best, and refers to not
charging for this pre-release test version, and that full release will
be made in April of 1997.

Lastly, there is no source code available (that I found).

Based on those things, I think I'll stick with the Cygnus product.
Granted, it isn't a perfect solution (unix is the perfect solution :),
but I prefer their direction (philosophy?).

My two cents worth,
Tim.

Post by Jari Aalto+mail.ema » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

>     Chris> You might try RKTools as well. Less overhead than
>     Chris> installing the Cygwin utilities, and it comes with all of
>     Chris> the basic unix utils.

>     Chris> http://www.reedkotler.com/toolset.htm

> ARgh.  Not too happy with rktools on first blush.  First of all, the
> install routine set my Win32 PATH (system-wide, not in the current
> shell) to: C:\rktools\bin;DID_NOT_FIND_VALUE

It's actually better than what it looks. It contains many tools that are not
in cygwin. The most important thing is that inc includes

        exactly same RCS as unix

the various GNU ports use idiotic win32 line endings. If someone knows
a GNU port that behaves exactly like the unix counterpart I would be all ears.

What I did:

        1. put cywwin paths first
        2. reedkotler next

Then you get best of both worlds.

jari

Post by Dave Lov » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

 JA> It contains many tools that are not in cygwin. The most important
 JA> thing is that inc includes

 JA>         exactly same RCS as unix

Hardly on topic, but the vanilla GNU RCS source builds and works fine
under Cygwin (with a trivial configuration fix IIRC).

 JA> the various GNU ports use idiotic win32 line endings.

Try reading the Cygwin doumentation.