Problem with define-key

Post by Ingo Dittme » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:28:33

Dear friends,
until some days ago I worked with SuSE Linux 8.0 and the emacs editor
delivered with it. For some reason I had to redefine some keyboard keys,
so that they give a sequence of characters instead of just one
character. For example, in my file .gnu-emacs-custom I wrote

(defun TeX-low-ae ()
    (interactive)
    (insert "\"a"))
(define-key tex-mode-map [228] 'TeX-low-ae)

This worked fine. Now I bought SuSE Linux 8.2 with emacs 21.2 and this
does not work any longer for some keys, e.g. "?". For others, like the
double apostrophe " it works. What do I have to do????
I need this really!
By the way, I use the emacs with the option --unibyte.
Ingo

Problem with define-key

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:03:52

> I need this really!

Really?  You can \usepackage[latin1]{fontenc}...

When you hit the ? key and then position the cursor on the resulting
? character and then hit C-u C-x =, which charset does Emacs tell you?

You may wish to put

;; -*- coding: iso-latin-1; -*-

but with the correct charset, into the first line of the file ~/.emacs.

--
~/.signature

1. define-key problem

hello

I got a big problem with redefinition of keys. I'm working on a Sun
SPARC-classic. I'm trying to redefine following keys

 ctrl - cursor-right            function1
 meta - cursor-right            function2

it doesnt work with following expression:
(define-key global-map [?\C-\right] 'function1)

I don't no, who to adress the cursor keys (up, down, left, right).

Has anybody an idea?

thanks in advance, roman

2. Of Sendmail Spam and Ruleset 98

3. define-key vs. *-set-key

4. Chkdsk

5. set-key <> define-key

6. FS:(UK) various

7. How to specify the DEL key in a define-key

8. Smartdrv can't cache my cdrom, help!!!!

9. define-key global-map vs. global-set-key?

10. global-key-set and define-key in demacs

11. define-key function-key-map 'dead_acute...

12. define-key and auctex