find-function and download/installation directories

find-function and download/installation directories

Post by Kilian A. Fot » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When I try to find elisp functions or variables, I keep getting
messages similar to

The library "/home/john/down/xemacs-21.1.6/lisp/simple" is not in the path.

But (find-library "simple") works fine, finding the simple.el that is
in the installation directory, /opt/lib/xemacs-21.1.6/lisp/.

After studying the docs, I have concocted the following explanation
for myself: the library "simple" was dumped into the executable at
compile time, and the compile happened in John's[1] download
directory. So e.g. the function newline `knows' that it was defined in
that directory and tries to load itself from there, although actually
the dir doesn't even exist anymore.

What is the officially approved way of preventing this inconsistency
-- should the compile actually happen in the install directory, or
should functions just not be preloaded, or is there a third way of
getting it right?

[1] name changed for privacy reasons.

find-function and download/installation directories

Post by Alan Wehman » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

This subject was discussed in the thread "find-function doesn't work
reliably?" in this newsgroup.  The last post to that thread was on
March 11.  I'll e-mail it to you.

Quote:> When I try to find elisp functions or variables, I keep getting

--
Alan Wehmann

1. find-function, OK, but find-variable ?

Hi XEmacsiens !

A l'instar de `find-function', which find the elisp source of a function,
I can't find (:-) a function which does the same thing for the variables.

For example, with 'find-function', I can find the where & what is the code
for the 'compile' func. OK.

But for the 'compilation-font-lock-keywords' variable, how can I do to find its
location and ist definition ?

The 'describe-variable' doesn't show the location.

ThanX for your help.
--

tel: 01.60.95.72.26
Laboratoire Systmes de Communication

2. !Pinpatch author/ contact

3. find-function.el 0.10

4. TWEAKUI UPDATE

5. find-function.el

6. Help: free() in Borland C++ 2.0

7. find-function doesn't work reliably?

8. US customs(New York)

9. `find-dired' function question (find file of type x?)

10. downloading a file with w3-download-url

11. installation directories are outdated

12. Q: Did the installation directory for binaries change ?

13. Specifying where to find the installation files at runtime.