Tramp encoding problems - local Mac OSX, remote Solaris 8

Tramp encoding problems - local Mac OSX, remote Solaris 8

Post by Skip Montana » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:03:24

I am using the ssh method to edit files on a remote Solaris 8 system
from my Mac OS X laptop running XEmacs 21.5beta9.  The defaults
didn't work for me because it kept trying to uuencode files with
"uuencode xxx", which seems to hang.

I dredged up a copy of metamail and installed mmencode on the
Solaris system.  * now selects a coding method which actually
works but it is painfully slow to save files, apparently because
the base64 encoding is done in ELisp.

Can someone suggest another combination of local and remote
commands which will work better?  Installing Perl code on the
local and remote hosts is not a problem, however switching to
rsync is not a real option.

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

Got spam? http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. AucTeX problems on Mac OSX

Using Mac OS X 10.2.6, Emacs 21.3.50.6, AucTeX 11.13, and teTeX (I'm not
sure which version, but a fairly up-to-date one).

I'm trying to set up Emacs and AucTeX on a friends iBook so that she has a
sane LaTeX authoring environment (and get plenty of support from all the
other people in her department who use Emacs and AucTeX on Linux and
Solaris boxes). Unfortunately, I don't know much about Macs. Everything
seems to be working okay, except that whenever I try and run a command on
the buffer I'm working on I get an "exited abnormally with code 127"
error.

So, say I open in Emacs her Thesis.tex, and then do Command -> "LaTeX
Interactive" I get the following a new window:

Running `LaTeX Interactive' on `Thesis' with ``latex Thesis.tex''

LaTeX Interactive exited abnormally with code 127 at Thu Jul  3 21:57:12

I'm guessing that either the default
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site.el needs to be tweaked for Mac OS X,
or that the TeX Command List needs to be customized.

Could someone please give me some pointers?

TIA, Darren

2. Mac Stylewriter on PC

3. Xemacs on Mac OSX, but displaying on unix terminal?

4. 64-bit PSDK debugger crash in mso.dll

5. Recommend CLI/GUI newsreaders for Mac OSX

6. Info on Heizer?

7. Emacs 21.1 for the Mac OSX

8. Color Laser: HP 4500 vs Oki C7200 ... ??

9. C-a & C-e stopped working in Shell mode (Mac OSX)

10. Setting up Emacs, AucTeX and (La)TeX on Mac OSX

11. Xemacs on Mac OSX

12. Mac OSX TeX / To X11 or Not?

13. Tramp: keeping permissions of remote files?