OT? -restore info's dir file

Post by Franz M. Sauerzop » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:58:06

Sorry for posting here. Could think of a more suitable group.
Somehow I destroyed the dir file in my basic info directory. Is there a
reasonable way to recreate it?

Tia
and have a nice day
Franz

--
Franz Sauerzopf
Atominstitut, TU Wien

OT? -restore info's dir file

Post by Eli Zaretski » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 03:23:29

> Somehow I destroyed the dir file in my basic info directory. Is there a
> reasonable way to recreate it?

If you have the Texinfo package installed, you can recreate DIR with the
program called `install-info'.

OT? -restore info's dir file

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 04:13:20

Quote:>Sorry for posting here. Could think of a more suitable group.
>Somehow I destroyed the dir file in my basic info directory. Is there a
>reasonable way to recreate it?

use ``install-info --dir-file=/path/to/dir --info-file=/path/to/file'' for
each .info or .info.gz file.

most info files have what is needed to correctly re-create their directory
entry, unfortunately not all do so some may be missing.

--
warning: i hate typing uppercase, mostly because i don't like seeing too much
uppercase, and will do my utmost to avoid it.  hence where the emacs norm is

1. xemacs info files missing START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY section

In my installed xemacs 20.4, the following files don't have a
START-INFO DIR-ENTRY section:

/store/info/auctex.info
/store/info/cc-mode.info
/store/info/cl.info
/store/info/custom.info
/store/info/ediff.info
/store/info/external-widget.info
/store/info/forms.info
/store/info/gnus-mime-en.info
/store/info/gnus.info
/store/info/hm--html-mode.info
/store/info/ilisp.info
/store/info/internals.info
/store/info/ispell.info
/store/info/lispref.info
/store/info/mailcrypt.info
/store/info/message.info
/store/info/mh-e.info
/store/info/new-users-guide.info
/store/info/pcl-cvs.info
/store/info/ph.info
/store/info/reftex.info
/store/info/rmail.info
/store/info/supercite.info
/store/info/term.info
/store/info/termcap.info
/store/info/tm-edit-en.info
/store/info/tm-en.info
/store/info/tm-mh-e-en.info
/store/info/tm-view-en.info
/store/info/tm-vm-en.info
/store/info/vhdl-mode.info
/store/info/viper.info
/store/info/vm.info
/store/info/widget.info
/store/info/xemacs-faq.info
/store/info/xemacs.info

This makes it hard to automatically generate the info/dir file.  I
suggest that text like this is added to the texi files before the next
release:

* XEmacs::      The extensible user-friendly self-documenting text editor.

--

 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!

2. Target System

3. info - how to read info files in my home dir??

4. SPICE final draft

5. How to have 2 ../emacs/info files, each with own dir file?

6. Error connecting in My Internet Mail and ISP, by Proxy Server.

7. 'info' file to 'html' translator???

8. WHERE to get games??

9. Info balks if no dir file exsits

10. Info-mode: File not found/Dir write protected...

11. Updating Info dir files

12. multiple dir files in info-mode

13. how do you change the INFO "dir" file?