Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Ulrich Schol » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I have some questions regarding the iso-accents mode of GNU Emacs
20.4.2 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit):

1) Although I selected

Iso Accents Mode: [Hide] [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [State]: this option has been set and saved.
Non-nil enables ISO Accents mode. [More]

in customization buffer for group Iso Acc, I have to insert M-x
iso-acents-mode once or sometimes even twice to be able to enter "a and
get an ?.

2) When saving a file with German Umlaute, emacs asks me

The target text contains the following non ASCII character(s):
          latin-iso8859-1: ?
These can't be encoded safely by the coding system nil.

and gives the default iso-8859-1. I couldn't find the place to customize
emacs such that the default is taken - as default.

Can anyone help me? Thank you, Uli
--
Ulrich Scholz

http://www.intellektik.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/~scholz/

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

> 2) When saving a file with German Umlaute, emacs asks me

> The target text contains the following non ASCII character(s):
>           latin-iso8859-1: ?
> These can't be encoded safely by the coding system nil.

> and gives the default iso-8859-1. I couldn't find the place to customize
> emacs such that the default is taken - as default.

;; interesting stuff by Dave Love
;; it automatically saves in Latin-1 when adding Latin-1
;; characters to a buffer which was previously ASCII
(defun my-select-safe-coding-system (from to &optional default-coding-system)
  (select-safe-coding-system from to
                             (if (and buffer-file-coding-system
                                      (eq (coding-system-base
                                           buffer-file-coding-system)
                                          'undecided))
                                 default-buffer-file-coding-system
                               default-coding-system)))
(setq select-safe-coding-system-function 'my-select-safe-coding-system)

The above code is not perfect, but it should be sufficient for your
purposes, I think.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Ulrich Schol » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> ;; interesting stuff by Dave Love
> ;; it automatically saves in Latin-1 when adding Latin-1
> ;; characters to a buffer which was previously ASCII
> (defun my-select-safe-coding-system (from to &optional default-coding-system)
> (setq select-safe-coding-system-function 'my-select-safe-coding-system)

> The above code is not perfect, but it should be sufficient for your
> purposes, I think.

Sorry, it doesn't work. Do I have to call a function by hand or should
it work just by copying your code to .emacs? Uli

Quote:> Beware of flying birch trees.

Want to give me a short explanation?
--

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> > ;; interesting stuff by Dave Love
> > ;; it automatically saves in Latin-1 when adding Latin-1
> > ;; characters to a buffer which was previously ASCII
> > (defun my-select-safe-coding-system (from to &optional default-coding-system)
> > (setq select-safe-coding-system-function 'my-select-safe-coding-system)

> > The above code is not perfect, but it should be sufficient for your
> > purposes, I think.

> Sorry, it doesn't work. Do I have to call a function by hand or should
> it work just by copying your code to .emacs? Uli

Yes, it should work by just copying it into ~/.emacs.  Maybe the code
isn't evaluated because of a syntax error earlier on in the file?

Try `emacs -debug-init' to find out.  You will get a *Debug* buffer if
there is an error.

Quote:> > Beware of flying birch trees.

> Want to give me a short explanation?

I have hay fever and am allergic to birken pollen.  So when I am in
company and have to sneeze, people ask me `got a cold?'.  And I answer
`no, the birch trees are flying low today'.

But that time of year is over now.  Maybe I should choose a different
signature...

kai
--
Why should I read the *ing manual?  I KNOW how to *!

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Sergei Pokrovsk » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> Kai Gro?johann writes:

  >> Sorry, it doesn't work. Do I have to call a function by hand or
  >> should it work just by copying your code to .emacs? Uli

  Kai> Yes, it should work by just copying it into ~/.emacs.  Maybe
  Kai> the code isn't evaluated because of a syntax error earlier on
  Kai> in the file?

Wouldn't something like

        (set-language-environment "deutsch")

in .emacs be sufficient?

--
Sergei

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> Wouldn't something like

>         (set-language-environment "deutsch")

> in .emacs be sufficient?

No.  If you open an ASCII file, Emacs determines it is ASCII.  If you
then add a non-ASCII character to that buffer, Emacs sees that it can't
store the file as ASCII and asks the user.

The code by Dave changes the Emacs behavior such that: if the previous
buffer file coding system was ascii and the new (non-ASCII) characters
can be encoded using the coding system set up via
set-language-environment, then choose that coding system without
asking the user.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Sergei Pokrovsk » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

  >> Wouldn't something like
  >>
  >> (set-language-environment "deutsch")
  >>
  >> in .emacs be sufficient?

  Kai> No.  If you open an ASCII file, Emacs determines it is ASCII.
  Kai> If you then add a non-ASCII character to that buffer, Emacs
  Kai> sees that it can't store the file as ASCII and asks the user.

  Kai> The code by Dave changes the Emacs behavior such that: if the
  Kai> previous buffer file coding system was ascii and the new
  Kai> (non-ASCII) characters can be encoded using the coding system
  Kai> set up via set-language-environment, then choose that coding
  Kai> system without asking the user.

Yes.  In the case of a Russian text the probability of having a pure
ASCII file is quite negligible ... Probably most Germans would prefer
to have the Dave code in deutsch.el ...

--
Sergei

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Mark A. Flac » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

I'm glad I wasn't reading coffee when reading *that* tag line.  :-)

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm glad I wasn't reading coffee when reading *that* tag line.  :-)

                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does that mean you normally read the coffee grounds?  That's cool.
How old am I going to get?  Will I be lucky in the next year?

(I'm not sure about the language, here.  In German, some people can
read the tea leaves (tea grounds?), and some people can read the
coffee grounds -- or so they claim, at least!  What's the proper idiom
in English?)

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

> Yes.  In the case of a Russian text the probability of having a pure
> ASCII file is quite negligible ... Probably most Germans would prefer
> to have the Dave code in deutsch.el ...

You're right.  Hm.  I'm not sure if it is possible to make it the
default, though.  But there should be an easily customizable option.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Mark A. Flac » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I'm glad I wasn't reading coffee when reading *that* tag line.  :-)

Kai>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kai>
Kai> Does that mean you normally read the coffee grounds?  That's cool.
Kai> How old am I going to get?  Will I be lucky in the next year?

phbbt!  :-)

Replace "reading coffee" with "drinking coffee" and you'll get the correct
semantic content.  I see that I should have finished the cup prior to
posting.  Or stopped laughing.

Kai> (I'm not sure about the language, here.

I guess that I wasn't either.

kai> In German, some people can
Kai> read the tea leaves (tea grounds?), and some people can read the
Kai> coffee grounds -- or so they claim, at least!  What's the proper idiom
Kai> in English?)

We also call them tea readers.  Reading coffee grounds is much more rare
and I don't think that we have an idiom for that one.

"If it was easy, anybody could do it."

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Steve Kem » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> (I'm not sure about the language, here.  In German, some people can
> read the tea leaves (tea grounds?), and some people can read the
> coffee grounds -- or so they claim, at least!  What's the proper idiom
> in English?)

  My grandmother was pure romany.. so that almost qualifies me
 for a response. ;)

  In English the phrase is usually "read tea leaves", certainly
 there is no "read the tea leaves".  If you're being picky there
 are constraints on the type of tea leaves involve, the preparation
 of those leaves, and the person who drinks it.

  (Glossing over the holy wars concerning technique:
 'reading' from within the cup, or after tipping onto a
 saucer.)

  I think coffee is such a modern development, and non "English"
 enough that coffee reading is not a recognised form of
 devination.  (Although coffee is probably drunk enough to
 make it an acceptable substitute for the gulable. ;)

Steve
---
Nice computers don't go down..

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Francesco Potorti » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

     I think coffee is such a modern development, and non "English"
    enough that coffee reading is not a recognised form of
    devination.

Oh, not certainly modern!  Sure, non English...

Here it  is called "leggere i  fondi di caff".  However,  it made sense
when  coffe was made  in different  ways than  today (not  espresso, nor
moka), and the bottom  of the cup had a sort of  coffee ground mud in it
after drinking.

Q: iso-accents-mode

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

> Here it  is called "leggere i  fondi di caff".  However,  it made sense
> when  coffe was made  in different  ways than  today (not  espresso, nor
> moka), and the bottom  of the cup had a sort of  coffee ground mud in it
> after drinking.

I thought moka was made by pouring hot water over ground coffee?  Hm.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

1. accents mode iso-accents-mode in .emacs

I use to type accent in emacs and i have to enter manualy in accent
mode each time i start emacs. (Meta+X iso-accents-mode)
        Is there anyone who would be could tell me how to do it =

automatically at emacs starting (in .emacs) ?

Please reply by email

-- =

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------+

+-------------------------------------------+       Nationale        |

+-------------------------------------------+     d'Electronique     |
| Eleve ing=E9nieur =E0 l'ENSERB                    | et de Radio=E9lectricit=E9=
 |
| 2=E8me ann=E9e Electronique                   |    de Bordeaux         =

+-------------------------------------------+------------------------+

2. Editing database..

3. iso-accents-mode: cannot enter any accented text

4. OT - Hotmail madness

5. iso-accents-mode performance is bad

6. Macintosh Authentication Manager 1.0.7 now available

7. iso-accents-mode at startup

8. Password reset on Norstar

9. How to get iso-accents-mode character mapping

10. Character hidden in iso-accents-mode

11. customizing iso-accents-mode

12. Emacs, Ispell and iso-accents-mode

13. iso-accents-mode, the 2nd