I need to create a history control.

Post by John Rebbec » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 20:58:39

I'm building a web site and it's quite important that I have a history
control on it similar to the one MS uses on their web site in the MSDN .NET
area. The one at the top of each page (in the main frame) that displays
something similar to...
 MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  .NET Development >  .NET Framework SDK
...has anyone built or seen something like this?

I know of a way to do it but it's very crude, I want it all control by an
XML Site Structure file.

Can anyone help please?

Cheers,
John

I need to create a history control.

Post by Victor Garcia Apre » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:00:59

Hi John,

That kind of control is commonly referred as a "Breadcrumb" control. You
could search some code repositories by that name. Also the ASP.NET Forums[1]
from Microsoft implements such a control.

HTH,
-Victor.

[1] download sourcecode from www.asp.net

and not by private mail.

Quote:> I'm building a web site and it's quite important that I have a history
> control on it similar to the one MS uses on their web site in the MSDN
.NET
> area. The one at the top of each page (in the main frame) that displays
> something similar to...
>  MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  .NET Development >  .NET Framework SDK
> ...has anyone built or seen something like this?

> I know of a way to do it but it's very crude, I want it all control by an
> XML Site Structure file.

> Can anyone help please?

> Cheers,
> John

I need to create a history control.

Post by Constance J. Peterse » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 07:25:00

Hi John,

Quote:> I'm building a web site and it's quite important that I have a history
> control on it similar to the one MS uses on their web site in the MSDN .NET
> area. The one at the top of each page (in the main frame) that displays
> something similar to...
>  MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  .NET Development >  .NET Framework SDK
> ...has anyone built or seen something like this?

We show how to build hybrid* breadcrumb links custom control in our new book,
and the code happens to be in the sample chapter posted on our Web site. Here's
a link to the first page of that section in the chapter:

http://www.smartisans.com/pwebvbnet/prev_c15_17.aspx

* Note that we call them We call them "hybrid" breadcrumb links because most of
the sample application pages display (simple, in this case) hierarchical
breadcrumb links. But certain pages are accessible from 3 different points in
the hierarchy (search page, browse page, and home page). When we display those
pages, we provide breadcrumb links that reflect the actual navigation
sequence -- making it easy for the visitor to return to the previous search,
browse, or home page.

In this sample application, the hierarchy is not complex, so you won't be able
to see too much about that aspect.

However, I can also give you some hints about how to implement more complex
hierarchical breadcrumb links. (We implement this for our Web site:
smartisans.com). We keep track of the hierarchy in a .resx file.

For example the portfolio page is described in the .resx file with these pieces
of data:

    <data name="nav_2_2_link">
        <value>portfolio</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_dir">
        <value>company/portfolio</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_text">
        <value>What We've Done</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_title">
        <value>Check out some of our completed projects.</value>
    </data>

and it links to these pages, which are at the bottom of the hierarchy and are
described as follows in the .resx file:

    <data name="nav_2_2_0_text">
        <value>KeweenawNow</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_1_text">
        <value>TrueNorthAntiques</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_2_text">
        <value>ADDIS</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_3_text">
        <value>BizTalk</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_4_text">
        <value>Logos and Banners</value>
    </data>
    <data name="nav_2_2_5_text">
        <value>Product Photography</value>
    </data>

Of course this isn't all of it, but you can see that using this sort of data,
it's possible to construct (via custom controls) both menu links and breadcrumb
links.

--
Constance Petersen
New look; new content: http://www.smartisans.com/

I need to create a history control.

Post by John Rebbec » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:09:36

Ahh "Breadcrumb", very clever.
Actually what I want is a History/Navigation control, in my site the pages
can really only be accessed from one place so instead of a history I want
more of just a navigation. The same as how Win Explorer displays
c:\Whatever\Another\SomethingElse

This is an example of what I want to display...
Home >> Log In >> My Account >> My Companies >> <CompanyName> >> Roles >>
<RoleName>
... each having a link to that location.

The basic idea is that to get to <RoleName> you have to go via the Roles
page, and to get to the Roles page you have to go via the <CompanyName>
page.

Cheers,
John

> Hi John,

> That kind of control is commonly referred as a "Breadcrumb" control. You
> could search some code repositories by that name. Also the ASP.NET
Forums[1]
> from Microsoft implements such a control.

> HTH,
> -Victor.

> [1] download sourcecode from www.asp.net

> --
> To contact me remove 'NOSPAM'. Please post all questions to the newsgroup
> and not by private mail.

> > I'm building a web site and it's quite important that I have a history
> > control on it similar to the one MS uses on their web site in the MSDN
> .NET
> > area. The one at the top of each page (in the main frame) that displays
> > something similar to...
> >  MSDN Home >  MSDN Library >  .NET Development >  .NET Framework SDK
> > ...has anyone built or seen something like this?

> > I know of a way to do it but it's very crude, I want it all control by
an
> > XML Site Structure file.

> > Can anyone help please?

> > Cheers,
> > John

1. VSS com - creating a file history display screen

I am trying to implement a History action screen for a
file. I am using the vssVersions->_NewEnum().
According to the documentation I have found (at
url=/library/en-us/dnvss/html/msdn_vssole.asp ) this
method's prototype is as follows:
HRESULT _NewEnum ([out,retval]IUnknown **ppIEnum);
However, when trying to use it as such, a compilation
error indicating the function does not take 1 parameter
appears.
Where can this mismatch come from ?

(I have installed the SP6)

2. Agent for adding registred users to groups

3. Moving SourceSafe database to Paridigm - Need history & Archive info

4. Announcement - New FileNET Developer Discussion Site

5. Controlling history size...

6. Passing data between modules

7. Help needed in creating controls on web form dynamically!

8. Cisco IGRP

9. Help needed in creating Controls on form dynamically!

10. Need Help with Creating Repeater in Custom Control

11. Creating Event Handlers for dynamically created Controls

12. Unable (: to creating Assembly(dll) to create a custom control

13. Problem in creating Assembly file to create a custom control