HTTP Pipelines MSDN mag article Sept 2002

HTTP Pipelines MSDN mag article Sept 2002

Post by Amy Shar » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:24:19

I used information found in the MSDN magazine article about HTTP Pipelines
in the September 2002 issue to convert code that I had running in the page
load event of an .aspx page to use HTTP Pipelines.  First, I converted the
code to a DLL that implements the IHttpHandler interface, placed it in the
bin directory of my virtual directory, added the httphandler to the
Web.config, and added my new extension to the IIS metabase to map to the
aspnet_isapi.dll.  This worked perfectly.

Then, the article goes on to explain that using an .ashx file, I could avoid
the deployment issues with changing the web.config and updating IIS.  So, I
decided to convert my DLL to an .ashx file.  I followed the article.   When
I try to execute this page...one of the first lines in the codes uses the
LCase function...I get an error saying LCase is not defined.  I comment this
line out...the next uses the IsNothing function...I also get an IsNothing
not defined error.  I'm also referencing the System.Messaging dll in this
file.  When I reference objects in this library, I get errors that they are
not defined.  Are there tight limits on what one can and can't do in an
.ashx file?

By the way...I'm using vb.net...not C# as the article does.

Thanks for your help...

amy

1. msdn mag article (or tools/options page)

In the msdn mag article
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/VSIDE/VSIDE.asp
there's a description of how to implement a tools/options page with a shim
control.
But I found if I follow the instructions in the article and use the provided
shim control
that way it's 'dangerous': The article does not describe which guids have to
be changed
to get a unique control!
If I use the control the way described and someone else does this too, then
those
two addins would interfere!
(I already got two addins which can't be installed at the same time because
they both
use that shim control - seems they followed the article...)

Does anyone know which guids (and control names) have to be changed exactly?

2. Relative (suggested) CPU speeds for Amiga II

3. newbie question in HTTP pipeline

4. Lotus 123 menu emulated in Excel 7

5. MSDN UK FEB 2002 arrived today, Still no Visual.NET!

6. FS:2000 Grphics System

7. vsnet 2002 and msdn problems?

8. WiFi question - can connect but nothing with IE.

9. MSDN Library - April 2002 and Visual Studio .NET

10. About the Msdn 2002 Jan.

11. MSDN Jan 2002 not recognized by Visual Studio

12. Failed to Install MSDN january 2002

13. April 2003 MSDN Library broke VS .NET 2002