WinForm Control in ASP.NET page

Post by Christopher D. Wiederspa » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:53:16

I've seen serveral references to being able to use a Winform control in an
ASP.NET page. In any case, I've got an Intranet application that runs on
IE5+, and I'd like to be able to use the WinForm datepicker control within
my application. Can somebody point me to a specific example that shows the
necessary steps for doing this? Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

WinForm Control in ASP.NET page

Post by Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:43:47

I'm looking to do the same thing. There's not a lot of info out there. I found
this article on rich clients:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/06/Rich/Rich.asp

and there's something in the QuickStarts.

Ken

I've seen serveral references to being able to use a Winform control in an
ASP.NET page. In any case, I've got an Intranet application that runs on
IE5+, and I'd like to be able to use the WinForm datepicker control within
my application. Can somebody point me to a specific example that shows the
necessary steps for doing this? Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

1. WinForm User Control in ASP.NET page

I'm looking for any sort of help here.  Here's the background:

I know how to use the <object> tag to embed a Windows Form User Control into
an aspx page, that works fine.  The control displays whether viewed on a
Windows Form or a Web Form.  The Problem:

I am using a User Control so that I can encapsulate functionality, and
control the display of the controls in the User Control.  For testing
purposes, I added a timer in the User Control, and in the Elapsed event
handler, I'm changing the display.  When the User Control is housed in a Win
Form, it works fine.  But when it is embedded in a web form via the <object>
tag, nothing happens.

I thought the purpose of being able to embed User Controls in web forms (the
.NET replacement for ActiveX control development) was so the you can
encapsulate a group of controls and do what you will with them.  Is this not
the case?  What is actually happening when the control is brought from the
server to the client browser?  Is the managed object created and executed
differently becuase it has a different host?

Lastly, is there a way to get access to the page (parent?) from the User
Control?  Or give it access?

Thanks for any and all input.
Ryan Kelley

2. PC Anywhere Hosts behind ICS

3. winform control in web page, interaction from control to page

4. How do you recover forgotten login password?

5. load a ASP.net page inside exiting asp.net page

6. PCMCIA and HC11

7. Problem Porting asp.net page to vs.net pages

8. Choosing new motherboard

9. ActiveX controls in web page via a WinForm User Control host...

10. Winform control in Browser using a ASPX Page gives control is not defined

11. ActiveX controls in web page via a WinForm User Control host...

12. Posting data between ASP.NET and non ASP.NET page

13. Calling ASP.NET pages from other version of ASP pages in IIS 5