The id 'ctrl1' is already used by another control

The id 'ctrl1' is already used by another control

Post by Alan Fawcet » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:34:12

Has anyone solved this error? I am creating a composite control that creates a
dataset which gets data from the authors table in pubs and then binds to a
DataGrid. The error occurs when the DataGrid is added to the Controls collection.

Here is the code sample:

public class MyCtrl : Control
{
   {
      SQLConnection oConnection = new SQLConnection(sConnStr);
      SQLCommand oCommand = new SQLCommand("select * from authors", oConnection);
      SQLDataSetCommand dsCmd = new SQLDataSetCommand("select * from authors",
         sConnStr);
      DataSet ds = new DataSet();
      dsCmd.FillDataSet(ds, "authors");

      System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid authors = new
         System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid();
      authors.DataSource = ds.Tables["authors"].DefaultView;
      authors.ID = "authid";
      authors.DataBind();

      Controls.Add(authors);    // error happens here
   }

Quote:}

The id 'ctrl1' is already used by another control

Post by Marc Bernar » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:45:47

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I can say that I feel your pain.
:)

I've seen the same thing happen when binding a data source manually:

void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) {
   if (!IsPostBack) {
      // need to load this data only once
      ItemsGrid.DataSource= CreateDataSource();
      ItemsGrid.DataBind();
   }

Quote:}

ICollection CreateDataSource() {
   DataTable dt = new DataTable();
   DataRow dr;

   dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("IntegerValue", typeof(Int32)));
   dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("StringValue", typeof(string)));
   dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("CurrencyValue", typeof(double)));

   for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
      dr = dt.NewRow();

      dr[0] = i;
      dr[1] = "Item " + Int32.ToString(i);
      dr[2] = 1.23 * (i+1);

      dt.Rows.Add(dr);
   }

   DataView dv = new DataView(dt);
   return dv;

Quote:}

If I do this in a web control, I get the message "The id 'ctrl1' is already
used by another control".  If I do it in a web form, it works great.

Go figure...

Marc Bernard

[...]

Post by Lance Mench » Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:47:16

Add the control to the form prior to data binding.

public class MyCtrl : Control
{
   {
      SQLConnection oConnection = new SQLConnection(sConnStr);
      SQLCommand oCommand = new SQLCommand("select * from authors",
oConnection);
      SQLDataSetCommand dsCmd = new SQLDataSetCommand("select * from
authors",
         sConnStr);
      DataSet ds = new DataSet();
      dsCmd.FillDataSet(ds, "authors");

      System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid authors = new
         System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid();
        Controls.Add(authors);

[...]

1. The id 'ctrl1' is already used by another control

Hi all.
Why I get this error msg?
My code:

=====================
SQLCommand sqlCommand = new SQLCommand(txbQuery.Text, myConnection);
myConnection.Open();
SQLDataReader dr;
sqlCommand.Execute(out dr);

TableRow tbRow = new TableRow();
tbRow.ID="tbRow;
TableCell tbCell = new TableCell();
tbCell.ID="tbCell;

if(dr.Read()){
    DataGrid dgGrid = new DataGrid();
    dgGrid.MaintainState=false;
    dgGrid.DataSource=dr; // *
    dgGrid.DataBind();
    dgGrid.ID="dgGrid";
    tbCell.Controls.Add(dgGrid);
tbCell.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl("Nothing"));

tbRow.Cells.Add(tbCell);
tbQuery.Rows.Add(tbRow);  // <- here is the line with error msg
========================

When I remove * line everything is ok.
I cannot find ctrl1, but every time I get this error.

Thank you for any help.

2. HP 722 Software Locks up with MS Word.

3. Composite Control Prob - Multiple controls with the same ID '_ctl0' were found

4. Licensing info

5. User Control Instances and how .NET Prefixes control collection's ID's

6. Spread sheet for NSE, BSE, MCX or all Indian exchange data.

7. Can't get the value of a text box using it's ID

8. glare screen for Mac-II Portrait Display

9. Validation error: Unable to find control id referenced by the 'ControlToValidate' property

10. MSDN survey sample problem - column named 'Answer' already belongs to this D

11. OleDbException: Could not use ''; file already in use.

12. Using 'double x' in VC++ gives 'float x'?

13. Error - Could not use ''; file already in use.- please help!