How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Manfred Brau » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:06:46

Hi All,

I am trying to use Asp.Net together with WMI, but I am not able to find a
way to reference something[?????]:

ASPX:

  Inherits="WMITests.WMITest01"
  Src="WMITest01.cs"
  ContentType="text/html"
  Debug="true"
%>

Code behind:

using System.Management;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Specialized;

namespace WMITests
{

public class WMITest01:Page
{
I am able to compile the WMITest01.cs file with CSC on the commandline, but
ASP fails with the following error-message:

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Management' does
not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly
reference?)

Source Error:

Line 16: using System.Web;
Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
Line 18: using System.Management;
Line 19: using System.Collections;
Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

Best regards,
Manfred Braun

(Private)
Mannheim
Germany

(Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Chad Myer » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:01:16

Not all the System.* namespaces are in the mscorlib.dll. Some of them,
like System.Management, live in their own DLLs.

Make sure you've referenced System.Management.dll.

-c

> Hi All,

> I am trying to use Asp.Net together with WMI, but I am not able to
find a
> way to reference something[?????]:

> ASPX:

>   Inherits="WMITests.WMITest01"
>   Src="WMITest01.cs"
>   ContentType="text/html"
>   Debug="true"
> %>

> Code behind:

> using System.Management;
> using System.Collections;
> using System.Collections.Specialized;

> namespace WMITests
> {

> public class WMITest01:Page
> {
> I am able to compile the WMITest01.cs file with CSC on the
commandline, but
> ASP fails with the following error-message:

> Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name
'Management' does
> not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an
assembly
> reference?)

> Source Error:

> Line 16: using System.Web;
> Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
> Line 18: using System.Management;
> Line 19: using System.Collections;
> Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

> Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

> Best regards,
> Manfred Braun

> (Private)
> Mannheim
> Germany

> (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Manfred Brau » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:51:19

Hi,

first, thanks Chad. Is there a way to find the DLL? I looked at the tools
delivered with the SDK, but found nothing, what helps. I had just the try to
use "System.Management.Dll", but got the same error message. I am currently
learning, but without VS.

Best regards,
Manfred

> Not all the System.* namespaces are in the mscorlib.dll. Some of them,
> like System.Management, live in their own DLLs.

> Make sure you've referenced System.Management.dll.

> -c

> > Hi All,

> > I am trying to use Asp.Net together with WMI, but I am not able to
> find a
> > way to reference something[?????]:

> > ASPX:

> >   Inherits="WMITests.WMITest01"
> >   Src="WMITest01.cs"
> >   ContentType="text/html"
> >   Debug="true"
> > %>

> > Code behind:

> > using System.Management;
> > using System.Collections;
> > using System.Collections.Specialized;

> > namespace WMITests
> > {

> > public class WMITest01:Page
> > {
> > I am able to compile the WMITest01.cs file with CSC on the
> commandline, but
> > ASP fails with the following error-message:

> > Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name
> 'Management' does
> > not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an
> assembly
> > reference?)

> > Source Error:

> > Line 16: using System.Web;
> > Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
> > Line 18: using System.Management;
> > Line 19: using System.Collections;
> > Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

> > Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

> > Best regards,
> > Manfred Braun

> > (Private)
> > Mannheim
> > Germany

> > (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Chad Myer » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:26:10

If you're using VS.nET, just add reference to the System.Management
namespace. If you're using "csc", then I think you can use the
/r switch and specify System.Management

csc ... /r System.Management

-c

> Hi,

> first, thanks Chad. Is there a way to find the DLL? I looked at the
tools
> delivered with the SDK, but found nothing, what helps. I had just the
try to
> use "System.Management.Dll", but got the same error message. I am
currently
> learning, but without VS.

> Best regards,
> Manfred

> > Not all the System.* namespaces are in the mscorlib.dll. Some of
them,
> > like System.Management, live in their own DLLs.

> > Make sure you've referenced System.Management.dll.

> > -c

> > > Hi All,

> > > I am trying to use Asp.Net together with WMI, but I am not able to
> > find a
> > > way to reference something[?????]:

> > > ASPX:

> > >   Inherits="WMITests.WMITest01"
> > >   Src="WMITest01.cs"
> > >   ContentType="text/html"
> > >   Debug="true"
> > > %>

> > > Code behind:

> > > using System.Management;
> > > using System.Collections;
> > > using System.Collections.Specialized;

> > > namespace WMITests
> > > {

> > > public class WMITest01:Page
> > > {
> > > I am able to compile the WMITest01.cs file with CSC on the
> > commandline, but
> > > ASP fails with the following error-message:

> > > Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name
> > 'Management' does
> > > not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an
> > assembly
> > > reference?)

> > > Source Error:

> > > Line 16: using System.Web;
> > > Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
> > > Line 18: using System.Management;
> > > Line 19: using System.Collections;
> > > Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

> > > Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

> > > Best regards,
> > > Manfred Braun

> > > (Private)
> > > Mannheim
> > > Germany

> > > (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Manfred Brau » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:59:21

Hi Chad,

the ugly thing is the log-output telling me, that the namespace does not
exist. This happens only, if I use compiling on the fly. If I compile
manually, like noted in my original question, everything is fine and I have
the using directive, so I don't need to use "/r:" switch. If I copy the
resulting DLL to the bin subdir of the web, the code is working. But I
thought "let ASP compile it for me" and than the error happens. It looks

sufficient. I saw samples, which have references to namespaces/classes in
the web.config file, giving the full version of the assembly. Looks like I
need this. But I am just on testing/developing and do not use a separate
web, just a subdir within an existing one.

Thanks for your investigation! I'll have a look to use the web.config or
find other examples, which could give me a more clear understanding of the
"Import Namespace...".

Thanks so far and
best regards,
Manfred

Post by Chad Myer » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:47:24

> Hi Chad,

> the ugly thing is the log-output telling me, that the namespace does
not
> exist. This happens only, if I use compiling on the fly. If I compile
> manually, like noted in my original question, everything is fine and I
have
> the using directive, so I don't need to use "/r:" switch. If I copy
the
> resulting DLL to the bin subdir of the web, the code is working. But I
> thought "let ASP compile it for me" and than the error happens. It
looks

is not
> sufficient. I saw samples, which have references to namespaces/classes
in
> the web.config file, giving the full version of the assembly. Looks
like I
> need this. But I am just on testing/developing and do not use a
separate
> web, just a subdir within an existing one.

ASPXs are compiled on-the-fly. Code-Behind requires you to manually
compile at some point. So which are you doing?

Import
only works with already-referenced assemblies.

assembly:

I would be cautious about copying system DLLs or globally registered
(in the GAC) assemblies to your local BIN. If it's a system DLL or
in the GAC, you should be able to just reference it by it's assembly
name and .NET will find it.

-c

> > If you're using VS.nET, just add reference to the System.Management
> > namespace. If you're using "csc", then I think you can use the
> > /r switch and specify System.Management

> > csc ... /r System.Management

> > -c

> > > Hi,

> > > first, thanks Chad. Is there a way to find the DLL? I looked at
the
> > tools
> > > delivered with the SDK, but found nothing, what helps. I had just
the
> > try to
> > > use "System.Management.Dll", but got the same error message. I am
> > currently
> > > learning, but without VS.

> > > Best regards,
> > > Manfred

> > them,

direction?

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Manfred Brau » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:21:34

Hi Chad,

 I thought there should be a way to switch from one method to the other.
Anyway, if I do not use a virtual directory, the compiled binaries are
expected at /bin directory, I put them into this/bin. If I create a virtual
dir for "this", everything works fine. But one has just to change the aspx
header.

Anyway, today, I have the same problem with a downloaded sample. The
codebehind is not found, but a virtual directory was created for that
application. Visual studio [used with that sample] was able to re-build the
solution, but the "cannot load type" error appears unexpectedly. I finally
don't like VS, it does not help to manage these things and is often not able
to correct a virtual directory and to find the solution and one has to
fiddle with the config files manually.

Thanks so far,
Manfred

> > Hi Chad,

> > the ugly thing is the log-output telling me, that the namespace does
> not
> > exist. This happens only, if I use compiling on the fly. If I compile
> > manually, like noted in my original question, everything is fine and I
> have
> > the using directive, so I don't need to use "/r:" switch. If I copy
> the
> > resulting DLL to the bin subdir of the web, the code is working. But I
> > thought "let ASP compile it for me" and than the error happens. It
> looks

> is not
> > sufficient. I saw samples, which have references to namespaces/classes
> in
> > the web.config file, giving the full version of the assembly. Looks
> like I
> > need this. But I am just on testing/developing and do not use a
> separate
> > web, just a subdir within an existing one.

> ASPXs are compiled on-the-fly. Code-Behind requires you to manually
> compile at some point. So which are you doing?

> Import
> only works with already-referenced assemblies.

> assembly:

> I would be cautious about copying system DLLs or globally registered
> (in the GAC) assemblies to your local BIN. If it's a system DLL or
> in the GAC, you should be able to just reference it by it's assembly
> name and .NET will find it.

> -c

> > > If you're using VS.nET, just add reference to the System.Management
> > > namespace. If you're using "csc", then I think you can use the
> > > /r switch and specify System.Management

> > > csc ... /r System.Management

> > > -c

> the
> > > tools
> the
> > > try to
> > > currently

> > > them,

> able to

> an

> direction?

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by ghos » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:50:34

I had the exact same problem. This is how I solved it.

From within VS.NET. Open your C# project, open Solution Explorer (View /
Solution Explorer) , select References, right click on References, select
Add References, Scroll thru the list and add System.Management.

You should be able to find all of the .NET DLLS that you are looking for
here (pardon all of the assumptions) :

assuming that you accepted the default install directory for the >NET
Framework,
assuming that you are running XP, (W2K or NT will be in WINNT, not WINDOWS)
assuming that you have the same .NET version that I do,
you should be able to find all of the .NET dlls in  :

\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705

Take a look around... and good luck. And BTW... this problem is not related
to you learning... I have been coding for years. This is just part of
dealing with the IDE.

Cheers!

> [...]

> ASP fails with the following error-message:

> Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Management'
does
> not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly
> reference?)

> Source Error:

> Line 16: using System.Web;
> Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
> Line 18: using System.Management;
> Line 19: using System.Collections;
> Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

> Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

> Best regards,
> Manfred Braun

> (Private)
> Mannheim
> Germany

> (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

How to add reference to System.Management in ASPX/Codebehind?

Post by Manfred Brau » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:35:22

Hi,

and much thanks for your reply and investigation. I know, where to look, but
I don't know what I find ....so the some classes does'nt seem to have it's
own dll and so it's not directly listed. This remembers me to "good old
registry days" and COM categories and else.....I am not very satisfied with
this. And mostly, I am on the side to make small tools and do not use VS. In
this case, I've learned that in the meantime, add the references to a
config.web file in your current dir, but then, you have to deal with the
security key and the version numbers....

 If one uses manual created codebehind, one has to have to virtual directory
and use it's bin subfolder OR use the bin subfolder of the root. But I
originally thought, there is a way to switch from the one to the ohter
method, but failed. But I found may agreement with me to use a simple
copy-action after compiling, that's the best while testing.

But thanks again!
Best regards,
Manfred

> [...]

> but
> > ASP fails with the following error-message:

> > Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Management'
> does
> > not exist in the class or namespace 'System' (are you missing an
assembly
> > reference?)

> > Source Error:

> > Line 16: using System.Web;
> > Line 17: using System.Web.UI;
> > Line 18: using System.Management;
> > Line 19: using System.Collections;
> > Line 20: using System.Collections.Specialized;

> > Could someone please give me a pointer into the right direction?

> > Best regards,
> > Manfred Braun

> > (Private)
> > Mannheim
> > Germany

> > (Remove the anti-spam-underscore to mail me!)

1. .NET Add-ins in Excel do not show up in Add-ins

Has anyone been successful in adding custom built-in functions into
Excel via the .net XP Interop assemblies?

According to MS KB 316723, you have to make sure you build the
deployment project for the Current User, not the machine.  I did that.

Also, in the Add-in path for Excel, I added a string called "Automation"
(from a support call to Microsoft) ... but
alas ... no add-in after I install.

Anyone get this to work?

--mike

2. Running an agenda

3. how to reference the ascx user control in aspx.cs codebehind page

4. No colors when plotting

5. How to reference a function in a public class from an aspx page (not codebehind)?

6. Computational Complexity of a boolean equation system problem

7. put ascx reference in codebehind or aspx?

8. South. Cal. scenery delay

9. Using System.Management directly from ASPX

10. how to add add-ins

11. How do a add a Reference to the "Add Reference" dialog box

12. Move .aspx code to CodeBehind(aspx.vb)

13. How can I access to object in codebehind csharp(aspx.cs) file from aspx file?