Session State Servers locking up

Post by Jay Vilalt » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:31:57

We are currently running about 5 web servers pointing to
one ASP.NET Session state server. However, every once in a
while, the Session state service stops working. This
happens rather randomly, sometimes it works for a month
straight, sometimes it dies in a week. It is not related
to load as far as we can tell, since the service sometimes
locks up on Sunday mornings when traffic is at a minimum.
The only events registered in the logs when this happens
are listed below.

In the event logs we get the following when the service
starts:

Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   ASP.NET 1.0.3705.0
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1074
Date:           3/2/2003
Time:           5:33:47 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       xxxx
State server starts listening with 12 listeners

Just before the service locks up, we get twelve of these
errors in a row:
Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   ASP.NET 1.0.3705.0
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1072
Date:           3/2/2003
Time:           5:40:23 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       xxxx
An error occurred in while processing a request in state
server. Major callstack: ProcessCompletion--

Quote:>ProcessListening. Error code: 0x80070079

After this, the service stops responding completely.

Has anyone encountered something like this? I've looked in
KB and the newsgroups and found nothing.

Thank you for your help!

1. Setting user/session state from custom server control and restoring state in aspx page

Hi,

I have a webpage personal_calendar.aspx with an associated 'code-behind'
file personal_calendar.cs.  This webpage hosts a custom server control,
defined in CustomControls.cs, compiled into CustomControls.DLL.

My server control needs to respond to certain events and store its state
accordingly e.g. user clicks edit button in control - we need to store the
fact that we are now in 'editing' mode.  Thus after postback, when the
personal_calendar.aspx is reloading it can display edit controls.

I've tried using the Session object to save the state:

in custom server control event handler (CustomControls.cs)
{
    ..
    Session["Mode"] = "EDIT";
    ..

and restore it in the page_load event handler (personal_calendar.cs)

public void Page_Load(Object Source, EventArgs E)
{
    ..
    if ( (string)Session["Mode"] == "EDIT )
    {
        // user has clicked edit button in server control - page has now
reloaded - initalise edit controls
    }
    ..

However, the session information does not appear to get saved.  If anyone
can point me in the direction of how this would normally be done - or any
tutorials/ web resources dealing with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard.

2. FS: Amiga games... CHEAP!

3. Random Lock Ups with Windows XP

4. Edit Datasource take too long

5. Using SQL Server Cluster as Session State Server

6. Several Newbie Questions

7. ASP.NET - Application state, Session state

8. Looking for Mac X Windows server

9. Session state v app state

10. ASP.NET - Application state, Session state

11. ATL Server getting Session state failing

12. Session state with SQL Server - ASPStateTempSessions table

13. setup session state server