Can not access file 'xxxx.' because it is being used by another process

Can not access file 'xxxx.' because it is being used by another process

Post by J Henr » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 02:58:10

I am trying to use a Crystal Report Viewer control in a web form, but the
web server doesn't seem to want to work with the Crystal *.dll's.

Here's the scenario:

1) The project files reside on the web server and are accessed via Visual
Studio .NET on my workstation.
2) I have created a Report to be used by the viewer.
3) I create a web form, and add the Crystal Report Viewer web control to the
form.  All necessary references are added to the project.
4) I set the ReportSource property in the design environment to the exact
location of the report.
5) The web application (when trying to pull it up in the web browser) bombs
out from the get-go with the message:
"Can not access file 'CrystalDecisions.ReportSource' because it is being
used by another process"
6) The message is different occassionally only in the respect that sometimes
it reports a different file (reference) name such as 'CrystalDecisions.Web'.
7) The error is caused during the loading of the web.config file.  However,
if I remove the references in the project itself and take those lines out of
the web.config file, I still get this message but it is generated from the
web server's local machine.config file.

Of course, if I remove the references or the actual .dll files, the report
page is certainly not going to work.

Why does it insist that these files are being used?  The above mentioned
project / application is the only web application on the web server that
references these files.

Jeremy H

Can not access file 'xxxx.' because it is being used by another process

Post by J Henr » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 04:53:37

OK, I fixed that problem.

On the web server, I used the .NET Framework Configuration utility (in
Administrative Tools) to add the Crystal Reports dll files to the Assembly
Cache.  That fixed that problem.

Now I have another one.  When trying to open the web form that contains (and
ONLY contains) the Crystal Report Viewer control, I get the error message:

CS1525: Invalid expression term ''

And that is 2 apostrophes with nothing between them, not a double quote.  In
other words, it appears that something internally in the viewer control has
a NULL value or something.

Any Ideas on what that could be?  Am I missing a setting or something
somewhere?

Thanx in advance,
Jeremy

Quote:> I am trying to use a Crystal Report Viewer control in a web form, but the