Client Validation ? How ?

Post by Badal Kotech » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 19:53:15

How do i get to know whether the page is validated and about to be submitted
to the server... ?

I have few validation controls on the client which gets activated when there
is some invalid data..
how do i know whether the form is validated / there is some error ?
I need to do some processing on the client side if the form is validated ..
how do i achieve this ?

Thanks in advance
Badal
www.icode.com

Client Validation ? How ?

Post by Gregory A. Beame » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 01:55:53

With client side validation set up, at least with default settings, the form
will not submit if validation fails. Even so, to avoid transversal hacks,
you should only run your insert routines if the form is valid, which means
you have to check if the validation passes on the server side.

The methodology of ASP.NET validation is that validation is always done on
the server, and optionally done on the client. This is primarily to avoid
hacks, so I would use the system. The samples on validation will show how to
check valid input on the server.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think outside the box!
****

Quote:> How do i get to know whether the page is validated and about to be
submitted
> to the server... ?

> I have few validation controls on the client which gets activated when
there
> is some invalid data..
> how do i know whether the form is validated / there is some error ?
> I need to do some processing on the client side if the form is validated
..
> how do i achieve this ?

> Thanks in advance
> Badal
> www.icode.com

1. Dynamic Control & Validation - No Client Validation.

If the control (textbox) and the validator
(requiredvalidator) are both created in code behind,
client side validation is not fired...it is posted back to
the server and then the server side validation runs. How
do you get client validation to run in this scenario?

Snippet of aspx code:
<asp:ValidationSummary ID="valSummary" Runat="server"
EnableClientScript="True"></asp:ValidationSummary>
<asp:Label ID="spnTest" Runat="server"></asp:Label>
<asp:Button ID="btnSubmit" Runat="server"
CausesValidation="True" text="Submit"></asp:Button>
</form>

Snippet of Code in Page_Load of code behind file:

Dim txtbox As New System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox()
txtbox.ID = "txtbox"
spnTest.Controls.Add(txtbox)

Dim reqTest As New
System.Web.UI.WebControls.RequiredFieldValidator()
reqTest.ControlToValidate = "txtbox"
reqTest.ErrorMessage = "Please enter"
reqTest.EnableClientScript = True
valSummary.Controls.Add(reqTest)

2. Netscape problem

3. Customize asp.net 2.0 client validation

4. Links Related To comp.object - FREE ACCESS

5. CLIENT VALIDATION FUNCTION

6. Favourite Five

7. Dynamic Control/Validator - No Client Validation

8. FrontPage Resources

9. client validation

10. disable button, run client validation, enable button if invalid

11. validation for a textfield of webform using both Client and Server Validation

12. client-side validation does not trigger validation summary after postback