Problem using email via smtp via a web application

Problem using email via smtp via a web application

Post by Scot » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 00:46:57

Hi I'm in the process of building a web page for registering people to
events.  I would like it to respond back to them immediately with a
confirmation email.  I can get it to work through my development computer
but not anywhere else.
I'm writing it using VB .Net Web application.
Here is the error I receive:

The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response
was: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

I'm using the mail server provided by our hosting site, it does however work
if I email a recipient that resides on the same domain as the one I'm
sending from.

Is this a problem in my code or an issue for our web hosting site?

Thanks for input!

Scott

Problem using email via smtp via a web application

Post by Peter O'Reill » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:10:01

Quote:> The server rejected one or more recipient addresses.

Your code works find as indicative that a message has been sent to
eventually be rejected by the mail server.
In other words, your code successfully spools a message to the mail server.

It is a problem with the setup of the SMTP mail server.  I presume you are
using a shared web hosting site?
If so, contact them to let them fix the problem.

Most importantly and most likely, before  you do, I would check the web
host's help file - mail docs.   The "Send From" mail field, is it using an
"acceptable" domain name in the email address? Most likely the web host puts
a limit acceptable domains (e.g. domain isn't in my list of allowed
rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
) for security reasons.  It prevents SPAMmers from exploiting their mail
servers to do their dirty deeds (done dirt cheap!).

Hope this helps.
--
Peter O'Reilly

Problem using email via smtp via a web application

Post by Scot » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:17:17

Thanks dude!
They had a problem on the server side, they have me using a static ip as
opposed to the domain name now.

Quote:> > The server rejected one or more recipient addresses.
> Your code works find as indicative that a message has been sent to
> eventually be rejected by the mail server.
> In other words, your code successfully spools a message to the mail
server.

> It is a problem with the setup of the SMTP mail server.  I presume you are
> using a shared web hosting site?
> If so, contact them to let them fix the problem.

> Most importantly and most likely, before  you do, I would check the web
> host's help file - mail docs.   The "Send From" mail field, is it using an
> "acceptable" domain name in the email address? Most likely the web host
puts
> a limit acceptable domains (e.g. domain isn't in my list of allowed
> rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
> ) for security reasons.  It prevents SPAMmers from exploiting their mail
> servers to do their dirty deeds (done dirt cheap!).

> Hope this helps.
> --
> Peter O'Reilly

Problem using email via smtp via a web application

Post by Nik Marti » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 05:34:16

Love the AC/DC reference!
Quote:>>) for security reasons.  It prevents SPAMmers from exploiting their mail

Post by Peter O'Reill » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:03:23

--
Peter O'Reilly