ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:41:27

I've been upgrading a site from ASP to ASP.NET and
noticing reduced performance. Pages in the ASP site that
load in about 1-2 seconds ("snappy") load in about 4-5
seconds ("sluggish") when converted to ASP.NET. So I
performed a little benchmark. Here are two virtually
identical files that compare the speed of ASP vs. ASP.NET.
They generated a very large file, but this is needed to
see the time difference between the two. I saved these and
ran them on my Dell 8100 1.8 GHz:

* The ASP file takes about 1 sec to display.
* The ASP.NET file takes about 7 sec to display (in
release build, about 8 sec in debug build).

Why is the ASP.NET file so slow? What can be done to speed
it up?

-----------------
ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
-----------------

<HTML>
<BODY>
<%
Dim i
For i = 1 to 20000
   Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
roses.<br>")
Next
%>
</BODY>
</HTML>

-----------------
ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
-----------------

<%
Dim i As Integer
For i = 1 to 20000
   Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
roses.<br>")
Next i
%>

-----------------

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Adam W. Saxto » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:48:42

Did you run this right after you built the project?  If so, the first time
you run an ASP.NET application will always lag a little.  After that you
should see an improvement due to the fact that its in memory.

What were the time differences between the first run and the second run?

> I've been upgrading a site from ASP to ASP.NET and
> noticing reduced performance. Pages in the ASP site that
> load in about 1-2 seconds ("snappy") load in about 4-5
> seconds ("sluggish") when converted to ASP.NET. So I
> performed a little benchmark. Here are two virtually
> identical files that compare the speed of ASP vs. ASP.NET.
> They generated a very large file, but this is needed to
> see the time difference between the two. I saved these and
> ran them on my Dell 8100 1.8 GHz:

> * The ASP file takes about 1 sec to display.
> * The ASP.NET file takes about 7 sec to display (in
> release build, about 8 sec in debug build).

> Why is the ASP.NET file so slow? What can be done to speed
> it up?

> -----------------
> ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
> -----------------

> <HTML>
> <BODY>
> <%
> Dim i
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next
> %>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

> -----------------
> ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
> -----------------

> <%
> Dim i As Integer
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next i
> %>

> -----------------

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Chris » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:53:05

I have very similar problems.. I cannot find answers though.. Read one of my
posts in this group (VisualStudio.NET ERROR) -- I explain a particular
problem that has to do with <%%> tags slowing the loading (theory)..

I'm not exactly sure what makes it slower, but I believe that any page with
classicASP-like content, even if it is technically supported, loads
considerably slower. I'm talking about 700% slower! No exaggerations. This
is after 10-15 test loads to make sure compilation has taken place..

I'll be watching this post for sure..
-Chris

> I've been upgrading a site from ASP to ASP.NET and
> noticing reduced performance. Pages in the ASP site that
> load in about 1-2 seconds ("snappy") load in about 4-5
> seconds ("sluggish") when converted to ASP.NET. So I
> performed a little benchmark. Here are two virtually
> identical files that compare the speed of ASP vs. ASP.NET.
> They generated a very large file, but this is needed to
> see the time difference between the two. I saved these and
> ran them on my Dell 8100 1.8 GHz:

> * The ASP file takes about 1 sec to display.
> * The ASP.NET file takes about 7 sec to display (in
> release build, about 8 sec in debug build).

> Why is the ASP.NET file so slow? What can be done to speed
> it up?

> -----------------
> ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
> -----------------

> <HTML>
> <BODY>
> <%
> Dim i
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next
> %>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

> -----------------
> ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
> -----------------

> <%
> Dim i As Integer
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next i
> %>

> -----------------

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by stefan demet » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:03:00

err.. cache???

> I've been upgrading a site from ASP to ASP.NET and
> noticing reduced performance. Pages in the ASP site that
> load in about 1-2 seconds ("snappy") load in about 4-5
> seconds ("sluggish") when converted to ASP.NET. So I
> performed a little benchmark. Here are two virtually
> identical files that compare the speed of ASP vs. ASP.NET.
> They generated a very large file, but this is needed to
> see the time difference between the two. I saved these and
> ran them on my Dell 8100 1.8 GHz:

> * The ASP file takes about 1 sec to display.
> * The ASP.NET file takes about 7 sec to display (in
> release build, about 8 sec in debug build).

> Why is the ASP.NET file so slow? What can be done to speed
> it up?

> -----------------
> ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
> -----------------

> <HTML>
> <BODY>
> <%
> Dim i
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next
> %>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>

> -----------------
> ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
> -----------------

> <%
> Dim i As Integer
> For i = 1 to 20000
>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
> roses.<br>")
> Next i
> %>

> -----------------

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:10:28

These are stable times after 5-10 trials.

BTW my friend added simple instrumentation to this file
and found that the _render_ time is about 50 ms (just
fine) but the _display_ time is 8 sec (horrible).
Something's going wrong between the time the page is
rendered and the time it's done displaying. Now I've read
posts by others and see a lot of corroboration of these
results, almost identical findings.

Other notes:
1. Writing the benchmark in C# makes no difference.
2. All my settings are defaults as far as I know; I've
never "tuned" VS6 or ASP or VS.NET or ASP.NET.

---
>> -----------------
>> ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
---
>> -----------------

>> <HTML>
>> <BODY>
>> <%
>> Dim i
>> For i = 1 to 20000
>>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine
and
>> roses.<br>")
>> Next
>> %>
>> </BODY>
>> </HTML>

---
>> -----------------
>> ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
---
>> -----------------

>> <%
>> Dim i As Integer
>> For i = 1 to 20000
>>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine
and
>> roses.<br>")
>> Next i
>> %>

---
>> -----------------

>.

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:13:52

Could you please elaborate? Sorry if I'm slow on the
uptake. I know in general terms that you can control
caching in ASP.NET, but I haven't investigated it yet.
I've never changed defaults and I'd hope that performance
would be at least equivalent using defaults without any
tuning needed. Otherwise, this does not bode well for
ASP.NET, unless something simple can be done. Thanks, Rick

---
>> -----------------
>> ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
---
>> -----------------

>> <HTML>
>> <BODY>
>> <%
>> Dim i
>> For i = 1 to 20000
>>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine
and
>> roses.<br>")
>> Next
>> %>
>> </BODY>
>> </HTML>

---
>> -----------------
>> ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
---
>> -----------------

>> <%
>> Dim i As Integer
>> For i = 1 to 20000
>>    Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine
and
>> roses.<br>")
>> Next i
>> %>

---
>> -----------------

>.

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:49:28

Thanks for your reply. I did read your post and your
issues are pretty much identical to mine. Also, like you
said, it's not the generation (which takes 50 msec) but
the rendering (which takes 8 sec).

Let's cut to the chase. I challenge ANYONE to run these
benchmarks and get comparable speed between ASP and
ASP.NET, then post it outside of a firewall so that it can
be verified. If so, then, great - maybe it's just my
machine, and it can be fixed. If not, then ASP.NET has a
problem.

I can't continue the pain of upgrading and invest $$$ in
extensive retesting only to present my users with ... ta
da ... sluggish performance. If that's the case, then
welcome back, good old fast ASP, and I'll wait for MS to
fix this problem.

Thanks, Rick

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Gregor Stren » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:54:53

Hi,

I agree fullty with Rick, ASP .NET should be faster than ASP, after the
first request.
Without performance tunning.
Even when we have been told serveal times your app. stays in the memory.

I will do some benchmarks on my webserver and have a look what's faster.

GRegor

> Could you please elaborate? Sorry if I'm slow on the
> uptake. I know in general terms that you can control
> caching in ASP.NET, but I haven't investigated it yet.
> I've never changed defaults and I'd hope that performance
> would be at least equivalent using defaults without any
> tuning needed. Otherwise, this does not bode well for
> ASP.NET, unless something simple can be done. Thanks, Rick

Post by Radomir (MS » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:58:08

Rick,

Is this on Windows 2000?  Can you try the same on an XP Pro (if you have
one handy) -- as I don't expect the same results there?

Thanks!

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by stefan demet » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 02:09:23

could also be that debugging is turned on ....

Quote:> Thanks for your reply. I did read your post and your
> issues are pretty much identical to mine. Also, like you
> said, it's not the generation (which takes 50 msec) but
> the rendering (which takes 8 sec).

> Let's cut to the chase. I challenge ANYONE to run these
> benchmarks and get comparable speed between ASP and
> ASP.NET, then post it outside of a firewall so that it can
> be verified. If so, then, great - maybe it's just my
> machine, and it can be fixed. If not, then ASP.NET has a
> problem.

> I can't continue the pain of upgrading and invest $$$ in
> extensive retesting only to present my users with ... ta
> da ... sluggish performance. If that's the case, then
> welcome back, good old fast ASP, and I'll wait for MS to
> fix this problem.

> Thanks, Rick

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 02:12:55

That's interesting. Are you saying use XP Pro for the web
server? Or for the client? Regarding the former, I didn't
think XP Pro was an acceptable web server, and currently
we're using W2K server for our web farm. Please correct me
if I'm wrong. Regarding the latter, well, this is a public
website and I can't control the customer's platform.

But what do you mean when you say you don't expect the
same results? Could you please elaborate?

Thanks, Rick.

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 02:21:02

No, I tried it both ways with maybe a small perceived
difference (7 sec in release mode, 8 sec in debug mode).
Can you try these benchmarks yourself to see if ASP.NET is
equal or faster in your environment? Can you post it
outside of a firewall? Then I would know that it's my
problem, not ASP.NET's, and all I'd need to do is figure
out what to fix. Thanks for any help you can give, Rick

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by stefan demet » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 02:36:06

done it on mine (dual P3 866 win2k sp2
........................BETA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
see numbers below(no cache, no sessions disabled)

BTW, you should consider doing codebehind
1)it's faster(in mixed mode it has to parse different things)
2)better practice

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

traceMode="SortByTime"%>

<HTML> <BODY>
<%
int i = 0;

for (i=0;i < 20000; i++)
{
Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine roses.<br>");

Quote:}

%>

</BODY></HTML>

aspx.page Begin Init
aspx.page End Init 0.000048 0.000048
aspx.page Begin PreRender 0.000097 0.000050
aspx.page End PreRender 0.000140 0.000043
aspx.page Begin SaveViewState 0.000250 0.000110
aspx.page End SaveViewState 0.000292 0.000042
aspx.page Begin Render 0.000331 0.000040
aspx.page End Render 0.022106 0.021775

> These are stable times after 5-10 trials.

> BTW my friend added simple instrumentation to this file
> and found that the _render_ time is about 50 ms (just
> fine) but the _display_ time is 8 sec (horrible).
> Something's going wrong between the time the page is
> rendered and the time it's done displaying. Now I've read
> posts by others and see a lot of corroboration of these
> results, almost identical findings.

> Other notes:
> 1. Writing the benchmark in C# makes no difference.
> 2. All my settings are defaults as far as I know; I've
> never "tuned" VS6 or ASP or VS.NET or ASP.NET.

Post by Rick Mc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:09:50

Hey, thanks for your reply and for running that test. BTW,
we also ran it in C# with no perceived difference.

The question is, what is the actual _user_experience_? We
also observed the fast rendering times that you did, but
the page takes very long to _load_. What is the time
period between the time that the user _requests_ the page,
and the time that the Browser says the page is
_done_loading_ (you see "Done" in the status bar). That is
where the problem is, not in code generation, compiling,
etc.

Also, regarding the desire for code-behind: Yes, we would
like to do code-behind and we plan to in the future.
However, we have to be practical. This "mixed-mode"
programming has been very effective for us and others at
producing large, fast web sites in the past, and we would
need to upgrade by first upgrading this "mixed-mode" code,
and getting good speed with it, then slowly migrating to
code-behind over a longer period. Anything else requires a
major site rewrite, not an "upgrade". The "upgrade" itself
is a show-stopper for most clients and associates I've
been talking to. Now we tell them they must _rewrite_ the
code to get it to work in .NET? Forget it.

BUT, even with a rewrite to code-behind, I'm skeptical
that this would make a difference, for the reason stated
in the first paragraph: the code is _RENDERING_ fine, but
_DISPLAYING_ slowly. I don't see how any code
optimizations would affect this, do you?

Any ideas? Can you post your test site outside your
firewall so we can see if it displays fast? Thanks for any
help you can give, Rick McQ

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Kawal Grove » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:32:08

Hi Rick,

I tried this test myself (in code-behind as one of the earlier users had
suggested as a best-practice').... and  my results were pretty much similar
to yours. I put the code in the Page_Load event.

Here is the trace-output which shows that the page rendered in about 2
seconds....but it took about 8 seconds (calculated with my watch) for the
page to load on the browser.

      Category
     Message
     From First(s)
     From Last(s)

      aspx.page
     Begin Init

      aspx.page
     End Init
     0.000083
     0.000083

      aspx.page
     Begin PreRender
     0.024633
     0.02455

      aspx.page
     End PreRender
     0.024904
     0.000272

      aspx.page
     Begin SaveViewState
     0.02528
     0.000376

      aspx.page
     End SaveViewState
     0.025509
     0.000229

      aspx.page
     Begin Render
     0.025571
     0.000062

      aspx.page
     End Render
     0.026421
     0.00085

I also set the EnableViewState="False" at the page level to make sure that
didn't take any resources.

Although I'm a big propenent of .NET and what the framework has to offer,
I'm surprised with the results of this test and see that the same page
written in ASP takes only 1 second while in asp.net its taking about 8
seconds.

Can some one from MSFT pour some thoughts into this??

Thanks,

- Kawal Grover.

Quote:> Hey, thanks for your reply and for running that test. BTW,
> we also ran it in C# with no perceived difference.

> The question is, what is the actual _user_experience_? We
> also observed the fast rendering times that you did, but
> the page takes very long to _load_. What is the time
> period between the time that the user _requests_ the page,
> and the time that the Browser says the page is
> _done_loading_ (you see "Done" in the status bar). That is
> where the problem is, not in code generation, compiling,
> etc.

> Also, regarding the desire for code-behind: Yes, we would
> like to do code-behind and we plan to in the future.
> However, we have to be practical. This "mixed-mode"
> programming has been very effective for us and others at
> producing large, fast web sites in the past, and we would
> need to upgrade by first upgrading this "mixed-mode" code,
> and getting good speed with it, then slowly migrating to
> code-behind over a longer period. Anything else requires a
> major site rewrite, not an "upgrade". The "upgrade" itself
> is a show-stopper for most clients and associates I've
> been talking to. Now we tell them they must _rewrite_ the
> code to get it to work in .NET? Forget it.

> BUT, even with a rewrite to code-behind, I'm skeptical
> that this would make a difference, for the reason stated
> in the first paragraph: the code is _RENDERING_ fine, but
> _DISPLAYING_ slowly. I don't see how any code
> optimizations would affect this, do you?

> Any ideas? Can you post your test site outside your
> firewall so we can see if it displays fast? Thanks for any
> help you can give, Rick McQ

1. ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Rick,

Did you ever solve this problem?  I'm experiencing the same problem
where pages are processed very quickly but rendered very slowly,
resulting in a performance drop with ASP.NET vs. ASP.  Has MS come out
with a fix for this yet?

Bill

2. New or used puck for a Summagraphics Microgrid III wanted !

3. Is ASP.NET Slower then ASP?

4. Need help on SupraFAXModem+ProcommPlus...

5. Help 3COM!!!

6. what is the difference between ASP.NET 1.0 Vs ASP.NET 2.0

7. IE - Pocket PC 2002 - limitations??

8. <Q> ASP.NET in .NET Framework SDK Beta 2 vs ASP.NET Beta 2

9. ASP.NET State Server Mode, English Edition Update Breaks ASP and ASP.NET?

10. NEW TO ASP.NET can't I run regular ASP code on ASP.net?

11. Survey on ASP/VS6.0 vs. ASP.NET/VS.NET

12. .NET (asp.net, vb.net) vs. classis asp and classic vb