ASP .NET application consumes huge amount of ressources

ASP .NET application consumes huge amount of ressources

Post by Peter Str?ima » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:48:55

Hi.

We have a few small ASP .NET web sites running on a server, and we are
puzzled that when we open the Task Manager and chooses to display the number
of handles that each process consumes, the aspnet_wp.exe process currently
consumes 1.400.000 handles. The number is steadily growing.

What are those handles, and why is this number growing?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Str?iman

ASP .NET application consumes huge amount of ressources

Post by Robert Johnso » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:55:04

Are you closing your connections after you open them? Also, you might want to periodically restart your IIS. My hosting company (MaximumASP.com) does this every week at like 4:00am Sunday morning or something like that.

Robert Johnson

> Hi.

> We have a few small ASP .NET web sites running on a server, and we are
> puzzled that when we open the Task Manager and chooses to display the number
> of handles that each process consumes, the aspnet_wp.exe process currently
> consumes 1.400.000 handles. The number is steadily growing.

> What are those handles, and why is this number growing?

> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Str?iman

ASP .NET application consumes huge amount of ressources

Post by Peter Str?ima » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:08:24

Thanks for your reply.

I do close my database connections. And if I didn't they should be closed automatically when the app performs garbage collection. So not closing database connections would give a high handle count because the database connections are opened for too long time, but it should not give a continously rising figure.

I think however that I have found the source of the problem - the OLE DB drivers for OLAP. It is not a general problem with these drivers, but we did seem to trigger a situation during the development process that caused these drivers to do something silly:)

  Are you closing your connections after you open them? Also, you might want to periodically restart your IIS. My hosting company (MaximumASP.com) does this every week at like 4:00am Sunday morning or something like that.

  Robert Johnson

  > Hi.
  >
  > We have a few small ASP .NET web sites running on a server, and we are
  > puzzled that when we open the Task Manager and chooses to display the number
  > of handles that each process consumes, the aspnet_wp.exe process currently
  > consumes 1.400.000 handles. The number is steadily growing.
  >
  > What are those handles, and why is this number growing?
  >
  > Thanks in advance,
  > Peter Str?iman

1. aspnet_wp process taking up *huge* amounts of memory

Hiya,

I was just looking at my taskmanager and to see what my memory status was,
and I noticed something wich I find quite disturbing.

At system startup a process gets launched called 'aspnet_wp' .
At process startup time this process takes up about 1.2 - 1.5 MB of memory.
Now, when a user opens up an aspx page on the server, the memory used
by his process suddenly jumps up to about 16MB's.  Opening up another
browser+Page
makes it rise another 0.5 - 1 MB.. And opening another Browser+page
(different page
that is, cos it needs to be recompiled) makes it rise again etc etc..

I have monitored this for a while and asked a few ppl to look up some aspx
pages
on my server.. Now the thing that scared me was.. after about 30 minutes the
amount
of memory used by the aspnet_wp process had risen to 63 Megs(!)..

Since my server usually never gets  any users (except for me)
and the fact that I have 1.2 GB of physical memory, doesnt make me
worry to much, but what about servers that have huge amounts of
simultanious lookups and not as much memory to spare? They would
run out of mem sooner later..

I know, each page gets compiled only once in every session, but
since every compiled page adds another half MB at least to the amount
of system memory used, the limit will be reached very soon..
Is this normal or is something wrong with my setup?

spec: Windows 2000 professional (IIS5) with .NET framework SDK version
1.0.3705

greets Jim

2. CABLEWORKS in Hamilton, Ont

3. deploying asp .net application that consumes web services

4. Upgrade path for Indigo 2 XZ?

5. Consuming ASP.NET Web Service from non-dot net framework Application

6. Saving color/bw ink for my user (programatically), can I?

7. Huge Form, Huge Headache (small classic question)

8. SPARC

9. Getting at ASP.NET functiona in Classic ASP (or consume web service in ASP)

10. How to consume a VB6 dll from ASP .Net

11. ASP.NET consuming .net web service secured through Basic Authentication

12. Ressource Definition (RDF) within .NET Framework

13. can the amount of threads be set in asp.net