Preserving variables accross different Frames

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Barr » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:44:52

I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.  I
have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like to
be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I have
been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Kevin Spence » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:45:15

Passing data from one frame to another must be done on the client side, via:

Hyperlink (Query String)
Form submission
JavaScript

HTH,

--
Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP

Quote:> I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.
> have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like
> be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I
have
> been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Steve Cochra » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:44:41

You can set up a module (Project | Add module) and share the declare the name of the DB as Public

Public DBName as String=""

And then each page will have access to the contents of that variable.  So if you change the variable name on page 1 then page 2 can detect the change.

steve

> I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.  I
> have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like to
> be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I have
> been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Barr » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:58:02

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Barry

You can set up a module (Project | Add module) and share the declare the
name of the DB as Public

Public DBName as String=""

And then each page will have access to the contents of that variable.  So if
you change the variable name on page 1 then page 2 can detect the change.

steve

Quote:> I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.
> have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like
> be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I
have
> been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Barr » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:03:30

There is no "Add module" in .NET, what kind of module are you suggesting?

Barry

You can set up a module (Project | Add module) and share the declare the
name of the DB as Public

Public DBName as String=""

And then each page will have access to the contents of that variable.  So if
you change the variable name on page 1 then page 2 can detect the change.

steve

Quote:> I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.
> have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like
> be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I
have
> been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Barr » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:22:15

Wow...I used a new .aspx file and declared a
Public Shared DBName as String
...and it works...thanks a bunch.

Barry

You can set up a module (Project | Add module) and share the declare the
name of the DB as Public

Public DBName as String=""

And then each page will have access to the contents of that variable.  So if
you change the variable name on page 1 then page 2 can detect the change.

steve

Quote:> I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.
> have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like
> be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I
have
> been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Barry

Preserving variables accross different Frames

Post by Steve Cochra » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 05:14:34

Sorry, its Project | Add Component and then choose Module.

I was thinking VB6.

Glad you got it working.

steve

> There is no "Add module" in .NET, what kind of module are you suggesting?

> Barry

> You can set up a module (Project | Add module) and share the declare the
> name of the DB as Public

> Public DBName as String=""

> And then each page will have access to the contents of that variable.  So if
> you change the variable name on page 1 then page 2 can detect the change.

> steve

> > I have a web page set up with several different frames.  I am using some
> > JavaScript in an .aspx page to populate a "Tree View" type of appearance.
> > have 3 seperate databases with 4 tables in each that I want to display in
> > the "main" frame (via command buttons in a "bottom" frame).  I would like
> > be able to select a database in the "Tree View" and then be able to select
> > one of the 4 tables in a "bottom" frame to populate the main frame.  I
> have
> > been able to pupulate the main frame with one table, but I do not know how
> > to let the "bottom" frame know what database to choose from to display one
> > of the four tables.  Any help would be appreciated.

> > Barry

1. how to to preserve variable value in user control different events?

how to to preserve variable value in user control different events?

i m creating a user control that contain dropdownlist, i have declare
certain property of user control that i used to bind dropdownlist, now when
on page load event of aspx page i set the properties of user control , so
first time when page load fires inside user control i get all properties
values, when i click dropdownlist selectedindexchange event of drp inside
user control fires but when i try to read any properties value it gives me
nothing.

so how to preserve values among different event of control that is inside
user control

i have try by declaring properties as shared public but then if i put two
instant of user control on same page both usercontrol shares same properties
though i have assigned different properties

2. How to get pressed button name ?

3. Refrencing Controls accross frames?

4. PHP memory problem

5. Sharing session variables accross multiple web servers in ASP.NET

6. FP98 - PUBLISHER - CAN/HOW TO SAVE PASSWORD ?

7. Maintaining session variables accross multiple DLLs

8. New Free-Dos

9. Sharing session variables accross multiple web servers in ASP.NET

10. Can I shared variable accross application, including in global.asax?

11. How to pass variables between two different pages lying on two different servers

12. preserving state of variables

13. can you preserve Application variables?