Testing without restarting the browser session?

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by Larr » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:30:04

My productivity is in the toilet because I have to restart the application
with every minor code change.  I can't just change some code, compile and
switch to my browser window and hit Refresh???  How can I prevent this?
It's making me crazy!

Larry

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by John Saunder » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:14:33

Quote:> My productivity is in the toilet because I have to restart the application
> with every minor code change.  I can't just change some code, compile and
> switch to my browser window and hit Refresh???

The above is exactly what I have always done. What do you mean you have to
"restart the application"?

--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by Larr » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 04:00:34

What I meant by "restart the application" was IIS stops my session and I
have to reestablish it...

When I press F5, it restarts my session from the beginning (after about a 15
second load process), and because I have a logon page that is initiated at
SessionStart, I have to reenter my logon info.  It acts as if I had manually
restarted IIS.

Well, first of all, I have a logon page for my application

> > My productivity is in the toilet because I have to restart the
application
> > with every minor code change.  I can't just change some code, compile
and
> > switch to my browser window and hit Refresh???

> The above is exactly what I have always done. What do you mean you have to
> "restart the application"?

> --
> John Saunders
> Internet Engineer

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by John Saunder » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 05:47:10

Ok, actually, it's acting like it's restarting your web application.

Several things will make this happen, like changing web.config or changing
your application .dll. There's nothing you can do about it, except maybe
make several changes at a time.

--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer

> What I meant by "restart the application" was IIS stops my session and I
> have to reestablish it...

> When I press F5, it restarts my session from the beginning (after about a
15
> second load process), and because I have a logon page that is initiated at
> SessionStart, I have to reenter my logon info.  It acts as if I had
manually
> restarted IIS.

> Well, first of all, I have a logon page for my application

> > > My productivity is in the toilet because I have to restart the
> application
> > > with every minor code change.  I can't just change some code, compile
> and
> > > switch to my browser window and hit Refresh???

> > The above is exactly what I have always done. What do you mean you have
> > "restart the application"?

> > --
> > John Saunders
> > Internet Engineer

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by Larr » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:38:48

I'm sure it's because I'm changing my application dll, which is difficult
not to do.  I can't believe there's no way around it.

> Ok, actually, it's acting like it's restarting your web application.

> Several things will make this happen, like changing web.config or changing
> your application .dll. There's nothing you can do about it, except maybe
> make several changes at a time.

> --
> John Saunders
> Internet Engineer

> > What I meant by "restart the application" was IIS stops my session and I
> > have to reestablish it...

> > When I press F5, it restarts my session from the beginning (after about
> 15
> > second load process), and because I have a logon page that is initiated
at
> > SessionStart, I have to reenter my logon info.  It acts as if I had
> manually
> > restarted IIS.

> > Well, first of all, I have a logon page for my application

> > application
> > and

> > > The above is exactly what I have always done. What do you mean you
have
> > > "restart the application"?

> > > --
> > > John Saunders
> > > Internet Engineer

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by John Saunder » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:36:11

Larry, you NEED it to restart the application if you change the application
DLL! The DLL _is_ the application, to a large extent. If you change the dll,
which code would you want executing after you refresh the page? The old, or
the new?
--
John Saunders
Internet Engineer

> I'm sure it's because I'm changing my application dll, which is difficult
> not to do.  I can't believe there's no way around it.

> > Ok, actually, it's acting like it's restarting your web application.

> > Several things will make this happen, like changing web.config or
changing
> > your application .dll. There's nothing you can do about it, except maybe
> > make several changes at a time.

> > --
> > John Saunders
> > Internet Engineer

> > > What I meant by "restart the application" was IIS stops my session and
> > > have to reestablish it...

> > > When I press F5, it restarts my session from the beginning (after
about
> > 15
> > > second load process), and because I have a logon page that is
initiated
> at
> > > SessionStart, I have to reenter my logon info.  It acts as if I had
> > manually
> > > restarted IIS.

> > > Well, first of all, I have a logon page for my application

> > > application
> compile
> > > and

> have

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by Larr » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:26:25

HA!  I know, I know, but I want it to happen instantaneously.  I want it
allllll!

Guess I'm gonna have to upgrade...

> Larry, you NEED it to restart the application if you change the
application
> DLL! The DLL _is_ the application, to a large extent. If you change the
dll,
> which code would you want executing after you refresh the page? The old,
or
> the new?
> --
> John Saunders
> Internet Engineer

> > I'm sure it's because I'm changing my application dll, which is
difficult
> > not to do.  I can't believe there's no way around it.

> > > Ok, actually, it's acting like it's restarting your web application.

> > > Several things will make this happen, like changing web.config or
> changing
> > > your application .dll. There's nothing you can do about it, except
maybe
> > > make several changes at a time.

> > > --
> > > John Saunders
> > > Internet Engineer

> about
> > > 15
> initiated
> > at
> > > manually

> > compile

> > have

Testing without restarting the browser session?

Post by Lenny Li » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:52:38

You  need change your session state to SQL Server or State Server.

Lenny

> I'm sure it's because I'm changing my application dll, which is difficult
> not to do.  I can't believe there's no way around it.

> > Ok, actually, it's acting like it's restarting your web application.

> > Several things will make this happen, like changing web.config or
changing
> > your application .dll. There's nothing you can do about it, except maybe
> > make several changes at a time.

> > --
> > John Saunders
> > Internet Engineer

> > > What I meant by "restart the application" was IIS stops my session and
> > > have to reestablish it...

> > > When I press F5, it restarts my session from the beginning (after
about
> > 15
> > > second load process), and because I have a logon page that is
initiated
> at
> > > SessionStart, I have to reenter my logon info.  It acts as if I had
> > manually
> > > restarted IIS.

> > > Well, first of all, I have a logon page for my application

> > > application
> compile
> > > and

> have

1. Session is restarting without logging me out of my site

I am using forms authentication, I have my session set to 20 minutes,
and timeout for forms authentication set to 20 minutes.  However, the
problem comes in when my session will timeout, but I am NOT logged out
of the site. How can this happen?  I am not sure of exact times, but
it seems like my session will timeout in about 5-10 minutes, and my
session var's are no longer available, but I stay logged in to the
site anyway.  Is there another place that I need to set the session
info in?  I am fairly certain that the app is not restarting, and
regardless, I would think the app restarting would cause me to be
logged out. Here is the code from my web.config for the session and
authentication:

<sessionState mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password="
cookieless="false" timeout="20" />

                <authentication mode="Forms">
                        <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="/agora/login.aspx"
protection="All" timeout="20" path="/" />
                </authentication>

2. Studio16/AD516 BigBlocks question

3. Application Center Test - Problem recording browser session

4. Demon's Winter?

5. difficult to use xypic

6. Unacceptable IIS Restart Without Reason

7. Adding more CPU horsepower to a 386i?

8. New msvcrt.dll without a restart

9. Update one WebForm without restarting aspnet_wp

10. compile project without restarting application?

11. Automatically Restarting a chat server application on system restart

12. Session Restarting? How do I stop it?