ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Bill Ehrreic » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:11:59

Rick,

Did you ever solve this problem?  I'm experiencing the same problem
where pages are processed very quickly but rendered very slowly,
resulting in a performance drop with ASP.NET vs. ASP.  Has MS come out
with a fix for this yet?

Bill

ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

Post by Bill Ehrreic » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 21:24:00

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just installed SP1 and WOW! what a
difference.  ASP.NET pages are now rendering very quickly and are
somewhat faster than equivalent ASP pages.  Thank goodness!

Bill

1. ASP vs. ASP.NET Speed: Is ASP.NET Slower?

I've been upgrading a site from ASP to ASP.NET and
noticing reduced performance. Pages in the ASP site that
load in about 1-2 seconds ("snappy") load in about 4-5
seconds ("sluggish") when converted to ASP.NET. So I
performed a little benchmark. Here are two virtually
identical files that compare the speed of ASP vs. ASP.NET.
They generated a very large file, but this is needed to
see the time difference between the two. I saved these and
ran them on my Dell 8100 1.8 GHz:

* The ASP file takes about 1 sec to display.
* The ASP.NET file takes about 7 sec to display (in
release build, about 8 sec in debug build).

Why is the ASP.NET file so slow? What can be done to speed
it up?

-----------------
ASP File SpeedTests.asp:
-----------------

<HTML>
<BODY>
<%
Dim i
For i = 1 to 20000
   Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
roses.<br>")
Next
%>
</BODY>
</HTML>

-----------------
ASP.NET File SpeedTests.aspx:
-----------------

<%
Dim i As Integer
For i = 1 to 20000
   Response.Write("They are not long, the days of wine and
roses.<br>")
Next i
%>

-----------------

2. TOWNSIM HOMEPAGE RELOCATED

3. Is ASP.NET Slower then ASP?

4. WEB: Jeff's OS/2 Links and Home Page Updated

5. Cherche programmeur CodeWarrior sympa et aimant les défis

6. what is the difference between ASP.NET 1.0 Vs ASP.NET 2.0

7. name resolver

8. <Q> ASP.NET in .NET Framework SDK Beta 2 vs ASP.NET Beta 2

9. ASP.NET State Server Mode, English Edition Update Breaks ASP and ASP.NET?

10. NEW TO ASP.NET can't I run regular ASP code on ASP.net?

11. Survey on ASP/VS6.0 vs. ASP.NET/VS.NET

12. .NET (asp.net, vb.net) vs. classis asp and classic vb