Windows Auth and Redirect question

Post by Clark W Grizwal » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:54:18

Hello,

Is it possible to use a form for Windows authentication,
instead of having the standard Windows login screen come
up?  I seem to have read somewhere that this is possible,
but can't figure it out myself.

If so, how would one set that up in the Web.Config.  If
<authentication mode="Windows" />, you can't have a
redirectURL key, can you?  How would you have it redirect
to a form?

Thanks,

Clark

Windows Auth and Redirect question

Post by Joel Brewst » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 06:50:12

Take a look at this article

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001-2002 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

--------------------

Subject: Windows Auth and Redirect question
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:54:18 -0800

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hello,

Is it possible to use a form for Windows authentication,
instead of having the standard Windows login screen come
up?  I seem to have read somewhere that this is possible,
but can't figure it out myself.

If so, how would one set that up in the Web.Config.  If
<authentication mode="Windows" />, you can't have a
redirectURL key, can you?  How would you have it redirect
to a form?

Thanks,

Clark

Windows Auth and Redirect question

Post by Clark W. Grizwal » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 07:20:03

I appreciate the reply, but a simple form auth is not what
I am looking for.  I have read everything the SDK says
about Forms and Windows auth, as well as several WROX
books...

I am actually trying to defeat the prompt that comes up
for windows security.  Meaning the Auth mode is set to
windows, but someone comes in who does not have windows
credentials.  What typically happens is that the Windows
2000/NT Username/password/domain dialog box comes up.  I
don't want that.  I want to redirect to a form instead.
Someone asked this question before, and a WROX author for
a few .Net books wrote this:

Within your web.config file set the authentication to
'windows' (which is the default in the machine.config
file)and set the redirect to the login pagename of your
choice. Present the user with this login page which upon
the click on the 'login button/image' performs in a sub
procedure (event handler) the code for the authentication.

I don't see how that could possibly work, because the
redirect subkey does not exist for Windows authentication
like it does for forms and passport.

If someone could explain to me how this should work, I
would be grateful.

-Clark

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Take a look at this article

url=/library/en-
us/cpguide/html/cpconsimplecookieauthentication.asp
Quote:

confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
2001-2002 Microsoft
>Corporation. All rights reserved.

>--------------------

>Subject: Windows Auth and Redirect question
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:54:18 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Quote:>NNTP-Posting-Host: TKMSFTNGXA10 10.201.226.38

>Hello,

>Is it possible to use a form for Windows authentication,
>instead of having the standard Windows login screen come
>up?  I seem to have read somewhere that this is possible,
>but can't figure it out myself.

>If so, how would one set that up in the Web.Config.  If
><authentication mode="Windows" />, you can't have a
>redirectURL key, can you?  How would you have it redirect
>to a form?

>Thanks,

>Clark

Windows Auth and Redirect question

Post by Joel Brewst » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 07:41:14

I don't believe that is possible. The NT Challange response box is actually quite special in the fact that it never pass's the users password
across the network. Basic authentication you could possibly reproduce this but I believe you would lose alot of built in functionality doing it.

Good Luck

Subject: RE: Windows Auth and Redirect question
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:20:03 -0800

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

a few .Net books wrote this:
Within your web.config file set the authentication to
'windows' (which is the default in the machine.config
file)and set the redirect to the login pagename of your
choice. Present the user with this login page which upon
the click on the 'login button/image' performs in a sub
procedure (event handler) the code for the authentication.
I don't see how that could possibly work, because the
redirect subkey does not exist for Windows authentication
like it does for forms and passport.
If someone could explain to me how this should work, I
would be grateful.
-Clark

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Take a look at this article

url=/library/en-
us/cpguide/html/cpconsimplecookieauthentication.asp
Quote:

confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ?
2001-2002 Microsoft
>Corporation. All rights reserved.

>--------------------

>Subject: Windows Auth and Redirect question
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:54:18 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Quote:>NNTP-Posting-Host: TKMSFTNGXA10 10.201.226.38

>Hello,

>Is it possible to use a form for Windows authentication,
>instead of having the standard Windows login screen come
>up?  I seem to have read somewhere that this is possible,
>but can't figure it out myself.

>If so, how would one set that up in the Web.Config.  If
><authentication mode="Windows" />, you can't have a
>redirectURL key, can you?  How would you have it redirect
>to a form?

>Thanks,

>Clark

1. Windows Integrated Auth/Basic Auth

I would like to set Basic Authentication and Integrated
Windows Authentication on my web app to give an access
automatically for users logged in to the system without
any click. However, I would like then to give a
possibility to logout and login as a different account.
Any idea how to do that?

Rafal

2. Dudas sobre Pocket Pc

3. Forms Auth, no redirect

4. ftp setup

5. Formbased auth not redirecting

6. Ispell or alike for MS-DOS

7. Windows auth/fill session with Exchange data

8. Why should I be afraid of cookies?

9. Windows Auth/File.Copy

10. .net remoting VERY slow using windows auth.

11. Using Forms Auth, but also need Windows User ID?

12. Windows Integrated Auth and NTFS security

13. Windows Integrated Auth and 404 Error