Cannot add Web Reference

Post by Xidon » Sun, 26 May 2002 05:24:06

I got the way to fix it.

Uncomment the following statement in machine.config
(C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\CONFIG)

<add verb="*" path="*.vsdisco"
type="System.Web.Services.Discovery.DiscoveryRequestHandler
, System.Web.Services, Version=1.0.3300.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
validate="false"/>

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi everybody,

>Recently, I'm learning how to building Web Services. And
>built a Web Services project and tested it successfully.
>And then I created a ASP.NET web application to consume
my
>web services. But when I used 'Add Web Reference', error
>showed "The document was not recognized as a known
>document type (WSDL, XML Schema, or Discovery document)
>for the following reason: -The content
>type 'application/octet-stream' is not valid for an XML
>documnt." (Please see the attached file).

>Any idea?
>Big thanks.

Cannot add Web Reference

Post by Sulabh Shrivasta » Sun, 26 May 2002 10:01:57

See
Q307303 INFO: Troubleshooting Add Web Reference Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/Articles/q307/3/03.asp

Thanks
Sulabh Shrivastava
Microsoft Corp

This posting is provided as is with no warrantees, and confers no rights.
You assume
all the risk for your use.
(C) 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved

Cannot add Web Reference

Post by David Q » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:29:30

See this article:

INFO: Troubleshooting Add Web Reference Issues (Q307303)

Situation 2:
..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307303

Thank you,
David
Microsoft Developer Support
Distributed Services

1. Cannot add Web Reference - available references never populates.

I've read a LOT of responses to questions about adding web references.
 Unfortunately, none of them have helped my situation.  Whether I use
UDDI or a local web service the same thing always happens.

In the left hand pane, the web service loads properly.  I can view the
supported opperations and test them (they all work on my local web
services).

In the right hand pane, 'Downloading Web Services Files...' stays up
forever.

The browser never stops, and I can never add a web reference.

I've made sure that *.vsdisco are active verbs in the machine.config
file.

I get the 'Web references on local computer' hypertext link - and it
works properly.

I have NO proxy issues (I'm working on my local machine which is
attached to a hardware router/firewall - nothing special there)

I have no IIS file registration issues (I had to fix that a while
ago!)

Has anyone run into this problem and does anyone know a solution.

Donald Derrick

2. Bid on X-Rite Reflecting Densitometer

3. Cannot add web reference in walkthrough sample: No web service available - duh?

4. Virus Warning: (17/F/FL) RATE ME!

5. Walkthrough #1 - Cannot Add Web Reference.

6. New automated Pthread debugger; testers wanted`

7. Cannot Add Web Reference in IDE

8. linky reset itself

9. Cannot see my local Web Services when adding a web reference

10. Cannot Add Second Web Reference

11. Cannot Add a Web Reference

12. I cannot found a reference to local server in Web reference dialog in korea

13. How do a add a Reference to the "Add Reference" dialog box