Multiple controls with the same ID 'WebForm1' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique IDs.

Multiple controls with the same ID 'WebForm1' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique IDs.

Post by Andy Boh » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:13:30

I'm getting this error also.  I renamed my form, just like he did.  I have searched for a reply to this post but found none.  Does anybody know how to make this error go away?

  This error comes up if when tracing is turned on.  The interesting thing is that it only occurs if you choose to change the name of your form tag ID.  For example, say you just created a new ASP.NET form with the following ID:

      <form id="WebForm2" method="post" runat="server">
  Now say you want to rename the form ID to be "MyWebForm"

      <form id="MyWebForm" method="post" runat="server">

  When you change the ID the VS.NET IDE automatically changes the Inherits attibute as follows:

      Inherits="MyNameSpace.MyWebForm"

  and the code-behind file is also updated by the IDE as such

      public class MyWebForm : System.Web.UI.Page
  Once this change is complete, if you turn on tracing on the page (i.e. Trace = "True")  you will get the following error:

      Multiple controls with the same ID 'MyWebForm' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique IDs.

  This is very easy to reproduce.  Does anyone know why this error occurs?

1. Composite Control Prob - Multiple controls with the same ID '_ctl0' were found

Hi folks,

The situation:
I have a custom ASP.NET server control that contains
multiple custom server controls.  These controls
themselves contain other standard and custom server
controls.

The problem:
When I implement the INamingContainer on the top-most
container server control, I get the error about having
multiple controls with the same ID.  When I simply
implement the INamingContainer on the contained child
controls ... it works fine.

What gives?  Can anyone explain why this is happening and
how to resolve the issue?  The primary reason that I want
to be able to use the INamingContainer at the top level
lies in the fact I may want to include it in another
custom control somewhere down the line.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks - wg

2. IT Metrics: Y2K proves it can be done

3. Multiple controls with the same ID 'frmRfq' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique IDs.

4. umask value of emacs process

5. Multiple controls with the same ID '_ctl0' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

6. Router and Bridge Recommendation Needed for a WFWG LAN

7. Validation error: Unable to find control id referenced by the 'ControlToValidate' property

8. slow at startup

9. User Control Instances and how .NET Prefixes control collection's ID's

10. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs

11. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

12. The id 'ctrl1' is already used by another control