Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:07:20

I apologize for Cross Platform Posting., but I am trying
to do something pretty simple.

<script language="VB" runat="server">
  Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object,E As EventArgs)
    TimeStamp.Text=now()
  End Sub
</script>
<center>
<h2>Hello W3Schools!</h2>
<asp:label id="TimeStamp" runat="server" />
</center>

That is the code.  I am saving the file as Test.aspx.  I
am running Windows Xp Professional, with .NET Framework
installed, IIS 5.0 Installed ( classic ASP works), and
Visual Studio 7.0 Installed.   But everytime I run this
code, (or load it) or any ASP.NET code I try I get the
same error message (just a different line #):

  Expected ; (semicolon) Line (#)

Any suggestions?

Thx

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by David Wie » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:20:06

Very strange - I just copied it to my newly created page, ran it and it
ran fine on my machine.

David Wier
Http://aspexpress.com
The best ASP Text Editor in the Galaxy

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy Lohne » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:47:58

OK, does this mean I have installed something wrong?

I am really confused now

Any suggestions?   I was told about a web.config file, I have none.

Thx

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Martin Deche » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:17:10

Hi, Troy,

For your files to work those must be inside a virtual application in the
IIS. If it is not so go to IIS Manager, right-click the folder in which the
file reside, go to properties and on application settings click "create" to
create an application.

If it doesn't help make a web.config file with the following text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <system.web>
    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true"/>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false"
traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true"/>
    <sessionState mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password=" cookieless="false" timeout="10"/>
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>
 </system.web>
</configuration>

and put it in the folder where your aspx file resides.

If still the file shows error go to the folder %SYSTEM
ROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.xxxx\CONFIG\
(%SYSTEM ROOT% is usually c:\winnt) open in notepad the file machine.config
and look up for
<compilation
and see setting defaultLanguage. If it is "c#" change it to "vb".

Most likely you will need to do only the first step.

Greetings
Marty

Quote:

> OK, does this mean I have installed something wrong?

> I am really confused now

> Any suggestions?   I was told about a web.config file, I have none.

> Thx

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy Lohne » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:11:59

Thanks for the Info Marty.  I would like to saw it worked, but no luck.

OK, maybe I am just stupid, but I think not.  If I were to reinstall my
Windows, Visual Studio and such, would there be anything in particular
that I should do to make this work?

I just install the software as is, except with Windows I add the
components of IIS.

Thanks again.

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Martin Deche » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:01:17

Hi, Troy,

Didn't mean to insult you in any way. Can you try to change your file to:

<script language="C#" runat="server">
public void Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs e)
{
TimeStamp.Text=DateTime.Now.ToString();

Quote:}

</script>

Just to check if the VB is ok. If it works in c# probably you will need to
reinstall the framework.

BTW your file really works with no problem (with no change, just as you sent
it in the original post):

http://62.110.49.173/test.aspx

Greetings
Marty

Quote:

> Thanks for the Info Marty.  I would like to saw it worked, but no luck.

> OK, maybe I am just stupid, but I think not.  If I were to reinstall my
> Windows, Visual Studio and such, would there be anything in particular
> that I should do to make this work?

> I just install the software as is, except with Windows I add the
> components of IIS.

> Thanks again.

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy Lohne » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 01:16:21

Thanks again Marty.   I will try that.

Insult?   None taken.  I was just being sarcastic to myself.   I really
appreciate the help.

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy Lohne » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 01:20:22

OK I am out done.   I tried the change, and nothing.  I do have another
question.   In IIS there is a list of extensions for the directory I
created, and aspx is not among them.   Java (for .NET is)

That mean anything?

Thanks again.   Reallly no insult Marty.  I am just joking around, I am
having no luck with anything in .NET.  Haha

Thanks

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Martin Deche » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:04:47

Troy,

To tell you honestly, man, you should reinstall - seems like the ISAPI
mappings that must handle the aspx (and a whole other .NET stuff in there)
are not configured. Relax, it's about 15-20 mins.

To be sure of that go to the IIS Snap-in and on the default
web-site->properties->Home Directory, click on Configuration. If you don't
see any of the .NET extensions in the list (ascx, asax, ashx, asmx, aspx,
...) then you should reinstall (at least I can't help you with another
workaround)

Greetings
Marty

Quote:

> OK I am out done.   I tried the change, and nothing.  I do have another
> question.   In IIS there is a list of extensions for the directory I
> created, and aspx is not among them.   Java (for .NET is)

> That mean anything?

> Thanks again.   Reallly no insult Marty.  I am just joking around, I am
> having no luck with anything in .NET.  Haha

> Thanks

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Steve Turle » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:33:48

You may not need to completely re-install. Go to
%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 and type
'aspnet_regiis.exe -i'

If you install IIS after installing .NET, the .NET extensions will not be
registered with IIS. aspnet_regiis will do it for you.

Please do not reply directly to this email address; it is intended  for
newsgroup purposes only.

> Troy,

> To tell you honestly, man, you should reinstall - seems like the ISAPI
> mappings that must handle the aspx (and a whole other .NET stuff in there)
> are not configured. Relax, it's about 15-20 mins.

> To be sure of that go to the IIS Snap-in and on the default
> web-site->properties->Home Directory, click on Configuration. If you don't
> see any of the .NET extensions in the list (ascx, asax, ashx, asmx, aspx,
> ...) then you should reinstall (at least I can't help you with another
> workaround)

> Greetings
> Marty

> > OK I am out done.   I tried the change, and nothing.  I do have another
> > question.   In IIS there is a list of extensions for the directory I
> > created, and aspx is not among them.   Java (for .NET is)

> > That mean anything?

> > Thanks again.   Reallly no insult Marty.  I am just joking around, I am
> > having no luck with anything in .NET.  Haha

> > Thanks

Help with making ASP.NET Work!

Post by Troy Lohne » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:00:08

Well I have to hand it too all of you.  Thanks.  You all rock.    It was
just lack of sleep and frustration I think, but you were all pointing me
in the right direction, and thanks.

I removed .NET Framework and IIS,  Rebooted.   Installed IIS and then
NET Framework and all seems well.   my initial aspx file works fine.

VS is fine and dandy too.

Thanks again.

Mystery solved and stress gone.

Troy

1. Help making ASP.NET work

I cannot make ASP.NET to work and I will appreciate any
help on the matter.

My development system is a Windows 2000 server working as
a stand-alone server. It has VB 6, Visual Studio.NET 2002,
SQL Server 7 and IIS 5.

Trying to run a ASP.NET app causes the following message:
______________________________
"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start
debugging on the web
server. Server side-error ocurred on sending debug HTTP
request.

Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there
are no syntax errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start
Without Debugging.
You may also want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL server
debugging topic in
the online documentation. Would you like to disable future
attempts to debug
ASP.NET pages for this project?"
_________________________________

Trying to tackle this problem, I downloaded and installed
Framework 1.1. The problem remains, but now I cannot even
run without debugging.

When I try to run without debugging I get message:
"Server Application Unavailable"

I checked the web.config file and it appears to be correct.

When I tried to manually attach the app to aspnet_ws.exe I
realized the service was not running. I then checked the
Applications Log  and I find this message:
___________________________________
"Event Type:       Error
Event Source:   ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID:       1084
Date:           5/13/2003
Time:           9:37:01 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       PARIS
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the
failure is 80004005. This error can be caused when the
worker process account has insufficient rights to read
the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET
Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
installation directory allow access to the configured
account.
___________________________________

I have read as many of the KB articles, checked IIS,
checked the Debug setting in the project Properties and I
cannot find what to do about it. How can I change the
rights to the worker process in a W/2000 IIS 5 system? Is
that the problem, or just another symptom?

Any help will be appreciated

2. Aminet & PC-DOS

3. Help needed in making ASP work together with ASP.Net

4. Virtual Disk Driver

5. Need help with asp.net on making checkboxes search for words in Active Directory

6. * FREE * PC Interfacing Tutorials

7. ASP.NET Beta2 Mobile SelectionList program does not work on ASP.NET Version 1

8. source of dependency tests

9. ASP.NET B2 code doesn't work as ASP.NET Released

10. HELP - How does ASP.NET work?

11. ASP.NET Samples not Working!!! HELP!!!

12. HELP -- I CANNOT GET ASP.NET WEB APPS TO WORK

13. ASP.NET web forms app stops working after a while of development and debugging, help.