student vs. full...errors...

Post by chris hudso » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:16:31

I have the student version of MATLAB R12...

I wrote an m file doing an estimator feedback design so I was very
familiar with the way it ran and performed...

We ran the exact same m file on a computer at school that had a full
version of MATLAB 6.1 and it ran differently.....

The feedback gain matrices were completely different than the one on
the student version...

whats up with this? i am assuming that the full version is correct,
which makes my student version worthless.

What are my options...

chrish

student vs. full...errors...

Post by Rob Henso » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:22:02

There shouldn't be any differences between the results that you get back
from the two different versions.

Some things that can cause different installations to give different results
are:

different random number state -- get around this by setting the state of the
random number generator on both machines with rand('state',0).

Different versions or implementations of functions -- it is possible that
there are different functions on the path of the two different systems. You
can check this with the which function , or step through your function in a
de*.

Much less likely, but not impossible, is if your are working with almost
singular matrices then you may get different results on different platforms
due to different low level math.

I would guess one of the first two -- probably the different files on your
path.

Rob

Quote:> I have the student version of MATLAB R12...

> I wrote an m file doing an estimator feedback design so I was very
> familiar with the way it ran and performed...

> We ran the exact same m file on a computer at school that had a full
> version of MATLAB 6.1 and it ran differently.....

> The feedback gain matrices were completely different than the one on
> the student version...

> whats up with this? i am assuming that the full version is correct,
> which makes my student version worthless.

> What are my options...

> chrish

student vs. full...errors...

Post by Gadi Reinhor » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 03:59:50

Another reason might be that the professional version you are using is
MATLAB 6.1 (R12.1) while the student version you are using was built from
MATLAB 6.0 (R12).  There is no MATLAB 6.1 (R12.1) Stuent Version.

If the results are completely different, please report your findings to

first try to reproduce this behavior in MATLAB 6.0 Professional.

Good luck,
Gadi

> There shouldn't be any differences between the results that you get back
> from the two different versions.

> Some things that can cause different installations to give different
results
> are:

> different random number state -- get around this by setting the state of
the
> random number generator on both machines with rand('state',0).

> Different versions or implementations of functions -- it is possible that
> there are different functions on the path of the two different systems.
You
> can check this with the which function , or step through your function in
> de*.

> Much less likely, but not impossible, is if your are working with almost
> singular matrices then you may get different results on different
platforms
> due to different low level math.

> I would guess one of the first two -- probably the different files on your
> path.

> Rob

> > I have the student version of MATLAB R12...

> > I wrote an m file doing an estimator feedback design so I was very
> > familiar with the way it ran and performed...

> > We ran the exact same m file on a computer at school that had a full
> > version of MATLAB 6.1 and it ran differently.....

> > The feedback gain matrices were completely different than the one on
> > the student version...

> > whats up with this? i am assuming that the full version is correct,
> > which makes my student version worthless.

> > What are my options...

> > chrish

1. implicit differentiation | MATLAB (student and/or full)

Greetings -

Continuing my migration from Maple to MATLAB, and have a question
concerning the ability (or lack thereof) of MATLAB to do implicit
differentiation - I did this all the time in Maple using the
implicitdiff command:

implicitdiff(f,y,x)

Implicitly differentiate y with respect to x for function f.

Can this be done in MATLAB? I've fiddled with the diff function,a dna
few other things, but don't see an easy way to do it directly. I use
implict differentiation in a class I teach (at least, conceptually),
and was rather hoping to do it in MATLAB (either Student, or full
MATLAB).

Thanks!

2. Fax program that can use I.E 5 phonebook?

3. Student Version Full Feature?

4. Where does IE5 store site passwords?

5. HELP: Difference between Student and full size version of Matlab

6. Planet ISDN Termination?

7. Looking for a Student Version or Full version

8. Cannot Retrieve E-Mail

9. sparse vs full

10. Matlab student version vs. professonal version

11. Difference in calculations of Simulink Professional vs. Student

12. Mastering Matlab 5 vs. Student Matlab 5?

13. student version matlab 4.0 vs professional matlab