Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Bin M » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 05:50:09



I am having a Power Macintosh 6100/60. Recently, a license of Matlab
4.2d prerelease was purchased. When I run the "bench" on the Mac, the
Execution Time was shown as:

                   Loops  LU   Sparse  3-D   2-D
This computer      14.0  13.0   9.3    21.1  21.7

which is far more slower than PC 486DX2/66:

                   Loops  LU   Sparse  3-D   2-D
PC 486DX2/66       5.6   10.0   8.3    13.7  12.8

The Mac has 16MB RAM. When I run the benchmark, the virtual memory was
turned off, and the Cache Size was set at 192K (actually, I tried from
128K to 384K, there is no big difference concerning the speed). Also
except for Finder, no other programs were running at background. I am
wondering if anyone else has the same type of experience. Originally,
the Power Mac is not supposed to be this slow, isn't it? Any responses
or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Bin Mu

Centre for Intelligent Machines
McGill University

 
 
 

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Erik A. Johns » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 06:01:51



>I am having a Power Macintosh 6100/60. Recently, a license of Matlab
>4.2d prerelease was purchased. When I run the "bench" on the Mac, the
>Execution Time was shown as:
>                   Loops  LU   Sparse  3-D   2-D
>This computer      14.0  13.0   9.3    21.1  21.7
>PC 486DX2/66       5.6   10.0   8.3    13.7  12.8

I asked this same question of The MathWorks several months back.
I was told at the time that the prerelease was not optimized yet
and that the release version was expected to be twice as fast.

Secondly, you will see a speedup if you add a 256K L2 cache (such
as is in the 8100/80 and all of the new PowerMacs).  A friend of
mine did a "before" and "after" test with a L2 cache in his 6100/60.
With VM on, he got:

                    Loops    LU    Sparse   3-D     2-D
    Without cache   14.3    16.5    11.1    17.7    19.9
    With cache      10.1    12.0     9.0    11.8    12.6

Your mileage may vary.

Quote:>The Mac has 16MB RAM. When I run the benchmark, the virtual memory was
>turned off, and the Cache Size was set at 192K (actually, I tried from
>128K to 384K, there is no big difference concerning the speed).

The cache that you set in the Memory control panel is a Disk cache and
thus has little effect on the matlab bench code.
>Bin Mu

>Centre for Intelligent Machines
>McGill University


 
 
 

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Derek A. Fo » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 12:55:55





> >I am having a Power Macintosh 6100/60. Recently, a license of Matlab
> >4.2d prerelease was purchased. When I run the "bench" on the Mac, the
> >Execution Time was shown as:
> >                   Loops  LU   Sparse  3-D   2-D
> >This computer      14.0  13.0   9.3    21.1  21.7
> >PC 486DX2/66       5.6   10.0   8.3    13.7  12.8

> I asked this same question of The MathWorks several months back.
> I was told at the time that the prerelease was not optimized yet
> and that the release version was expected to be twice as fast.

> Secondly, you will see a speedup if you add a 256K L2 cache (such
> as is in the 8100/80 and all of the new PowerMacs).  A friend of
> mine did a "before" and "after" test with a L2 cache in his 6100/60.
> With VM on, he got:

>                     Loops    LU    Sparse   3-D     2-D
>     Without cache   14.3    16.5    11.1    17.7    19.9
>     With cache      10.1    12.0     9.0    11.8    12.6

> Your mileage may vary.

Well, I am anxious and hope that the final release is twice as fast as the
number suggested below.  If not, then my current order to buy a copy of
the Powermac version and to get the PPC PDS card for my Quadra 800 will be
a waste.

For reference, a Quadra 800 (68040/33 mhz) with 16 mb of RAM and other
applications running puts up the following numbers

                     loops    LU    Sparse   3-D     2-D
                     14.1     10.8  14.6     19.6    16.9

From what I remember seeing the 8100/80 is supposed to have numbers of 5.0
or less in all categories according to this table that comes up in the
latest benchmark program in 4.2c (I think that's the version I have on my
DECstation)

If the benchmarks above are right, I guess I'm going to be glad that the
PPC PDS card has a 1 mb L2 cache.

I'd appreciate any comments regarding what the final performance figures
for the release version.  Let's hope they are twice as fast as suggested.

--Derek
--
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------


| MIT/WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography |                                   |
| Woods Hole, MA 02543                   | http://gusty.whoi.edu/thewho.html |
| (508) 289-2814   |  FAX:(508) 457-2181 |                                   |
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent        |
| those of MIT, WHOI, or NSF.  Not to be used for navigation.  Non-fatal     |
| if swallowed. Do not expose to open flame.  Under penalty of law, do       |
| not remove this label.  Void where prohibited by law.                      |
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Elbert I. Cha » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 14:57:47




> Well, I am anxious and hope that the final release is twice as fast as the
> number suggested below.  If not, then my current order to buy a copy of
> the Powermac version and to get the PPC PDS card for my Quadra 800 will be
> a waste.

What I'm worried about is the unstability of the current PowerMacs. With
regards to MATLAB, I've tried the prerelease version at one of our labs,
but several times the crazy thing wouldn't let me save an m-file.  Yeah,
it was only a beta, but still...  And the reported problems with NuBus
(which Apple won't bother fixing because PCI bus is coming out soon) sure
didn't alleviate any fears.  

Am I just being paranoid?  I know the stuff above are unrelated, but I'm
just trying to figure out what's going on (I need to upgrade urgently).

Comments on PowerMacs and MATLAB (or PPC in general) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
Elbert

 
 
 

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Gary L. Gr » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 02:40:39






> > Well, I am anxious and hope that the final release is twice as fast as the
> > number suggested below.  If not, then my current order to buy a copy of
> > the Powermac version and to get the PPC PDS card for my Quadra 800 will be
> > a waste.

> What I'm worried about is the unstability of the current PowerMacs. With
> regards to MATLAB, I've tried the prerelease version at one of our labs,
> but several times the crazy thing wouldn't let me save an m-file.  Yeah,
> it was only a beta, but still...  And the reported problems with NuBus
> (which Apple won't bother fixing because PCI bus is coming out soon) sure
> didn't alleviate any fears.  

> Am I just being paranoid?  I know the stuff above are unrelated, but I'm
> just trying to figure out what's going on (I need to upgrade urgently).

> Comments on PowerMacs and MATLAB (or PPC in general) would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks.
> Elbert


I have the pre-release version running on my 8100/80 in my office and I
also have it running on 6 PowerMac 6100/60's and 2 PowerMac 7100/80 in a
computer lab and haven't seen any problems that The MathWorks won't fix in
the release version. In addition, the release version is going to support
a number of System 7.5 features such as drag and drop. I was also told by
someone at The MathWorks last week that the release version on an 8100/80
will be faster than MATLAB on a Pentium 90.

Go for the upgrade, you won't be sorry.

Best regards,

--
Gary L. Gray                     |  (814) 863-1778
Assistant Professor              |  (814) 863-7967 (fax)

Penn State University            |  AOL: GLGray

 
 
 

Is Power Macintosh that slow?

Post by Gary L. Gr » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 07:31:12






> > Well, I am anxious and hope that the final release is twice as fast as the
> > number suggested below.  If not, then my current order to buy a copy of
> > the Powermac version and to get the PPC PDS card for my Quadra 800 will be
> > a waste.

> What I'm worried about is the unstability of the current PowerMacs. With
> regards to MATLAB, I've tried the prerelease version at one of our labs,
> but several times the crazy thing wouldn't let me save an m-file.  Yeah,
> it was only a beta, but still...  And the reported problems with NuBus
> (which Apple won't bother fixing because PCI bus is coming out soon) sure
> didn't alleviate any fears.  

> Am I just being paranoid?  I know the stuff above are unrelated, but I'm
> just trying to figure out what's going on (I need to upgrade urgently).

> Comments on PowerMacs and MATLAB (or PPC in general) would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks.
> Elbert


I have the pre-release version running on my 8100/80 in my office and I
also have it running on 6 PowerMac 6100/60's and 2 PowerMac 7100/80 in a
computer lab and haven't seen any problems that The MathWorks won't fix in
the release version. In addition, the release version is going to support
a number of System 7.5 features such as drag and drop. I was also told by
someone at The MathWorks last week that the release version on an 8100/80
will be faster than MATLAB on a Pentium 90.

Go for the upgrade, you won't be sorry.

Best regards,

--
Gary L. Gray                     |  (814) 863-1778
Assistant Professor              |  (814) 863-7967 (fax)

Penn State University            |  AOL: GLGray